How many miles.......

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A mate of mine sent me a class photo I hadn't seen for 50 years. I think it was a passing out  ceremony for something to do with the Catholic Church. A lot of the lads on the photo are dead, did jail

My folks moved from chalvey to Stroud where I was born , father worked in Saudi at the time, 6 months later they moved back to Thames valley , and proceeded to move us from Berkshire to Surrey maybe 5

I believe in random events influencing lives. We are just pinballs bouncing off corners. Something happens along the way  which dictate or change  your whole life. Often you can be enjoying life and t

Posted Images

About 15 miles for me....born in Bethnal Green but lived in most parts of East London growing up from Mile End to Canning Town.....same as most chaps of my generation from the manor if you do reasonably well you move out to Essex and if you dont you stay put,i moved away over 20 years ago now but still have a place in just about the only respectable part left in East London.......ive always admired folk who stay in the area they was raised just seems something quite honourable about it to me.

I still live in the town I grew up in ,I'm 2 miles from the family home . My kids play on the same local football pitch I played on , they have discovered the same hiding spots on the castle we used to find . Apparently theirs still wasps or bees in the same Bush that used to plague us ( it was a shame because it was the best spot for hide and seek ) . 

I also live about 200 metres from my old form room . I can see the window I used to sit by and die of boredom . 

Sometimes I speak to local boys who have been off travelling the world and come back and i have a bit of regret I never did anything like that.  

But I cant leave this town . Its engrained in me 

• Like 3

My folks moved from chalvey to Stroud where I was born , father worked in Saudi at the time, 6 months later they moved back to Thames valley , and proceeded to move us from Berkshire to Surrey maybe 5 places different schools etc then Wales again maybe 6 different places all before 16 year old. Probably went to 4 primary schools three secondary schools , anyway I'm on the Somerset Devon border and I won't be going anywhere, my boys have only been to one school and that leads to a great secondary in the same village , they'll have same friends and a foundation. I'll probably encourage them to consider living abroad depending on where we are then, but at least they'll feel they belong somewhere , they're mad keen on sports and get involved with lots locally , I'm quite excited for their future .  My mother's side spread from Scotland to Canada and Australia, my mother was last of the colonialists , born in Murray which was India before Pakistan existed , third gen born outside of Britain due to army, she lived mostly in Malaya but also Hong Kong and then lost her mother at 8 and had to go to a boarding school in France eventually landing in england at 16 , was a personnel manager at Fabergé at 21 . My father came from violent poverty in London , made money doing piece work in foundry the went to Saudi , winged it as a welding inspector and was successful, came back and bought a small foundry business. They retired in France and had a good 14 years there , coming back to Wiltshire where my old man passed , and my mother now resides in our village a stones throw from my kids school. The missus came from Romania where we all lived for a while when the kids were babes , she spent 5 years in America, then came to UK to do a masters , where she had the good fortune to meet myself lol. Whilst married we've gone from Hampshire to Gwent to Bridgend to Devon Romania and eventually back to Devon. I work away so currently back in Berkshire, but although I like the idea of adventures and travel I'm a bit burned out and I've resided myself to not moving from where we are now....

Edited by Borr
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Borr said:

born in Murray which was India before Pakistan existed , third gen born outside of Britain due to army, she lived mostly in Malaya but also Hong Kong

I have been to murree where your mum was born,back in the days of the raj it was a hill station and holiday destination,it's a stonesthrow from 'Pindi/islamabad,do you know which part of HK your mum lived?I think your family history/migration is very interesting.

22 minutes ago, mackem said:

I have been to murree where your mum was born,back in the days of the raj it was a hill station and holiday destination,it's a stonesthrow from 'Pindi/islamabad,do you know which part of HK your mum lived?I think your family history/migration is very interesting.

Apparently there were no men folk in 'murree' when my grandmother had to evacuate herself and the children they were literally stepping over dead bodies along the way to reach the train station, it went wrong very quickly, they went to Malaya where my grandfather dressed as a native ate like a native spoke fluently being a linguistic expert in the army, apparently would run out of the jungle adjoining the garden screaming 'the reds have got me' ants I believe. My mother was raised by native help due to her mother's illness, but also went to the British schools that came with the colonies. I've asked where she was in Hong Kong , not sure about much of it , I've got my grandfather's medals , he spoke something like 11 languages and a miriad of dialects including all the Chinese ones , he was an avid bird watcher and liked beating on grouse moors , he died when I was 1 yr old so I never new him. She just replied , "I would have to look it up i was 2 at the time until 4 it was just Hong Kong island, we Governed it The docks were the Naval base the British Army infantry and cavalry dragoons and the gurkas were there, it just was British"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Borr said:

Apparently there were no men folk in 'murree' when my grandmother had to evacuate herself and the children they were literally stepping over dead bodies along the way to reach the train station, it went wrong very quickly, they went to Malaya where my grandfather dressed as a native ate like a native spoke fluently being a linguistic expert in the army, apparently would run out of the jungle adjoining the garden screaming 'the reds have got me' ants I believe. My mother was raised by native help due to her mother's illness, but also went to the British schools that came with the colonies. I've asked where she was in Hong Kong , not sure about much of it , I've got my grandfather's medals , he spoke something like 11 languages and a miriad of dialects including all the Chinese ones , he was an avid bird watcher and liked beating on grouse moors , he died when I was 1 yr old so I never new him. She just replied , "I would have to look it up i was 2 at the time until 4 it was just Hong Kong island, we Governed it The docks were the Naval base the British Army infantry and cavalry dragoons and the gurkas were there, it just was British"

Was your grandfather in the chindits? I have seen photos of partition, a railway platform in either Lahore or Amritsar carpeted in corpses, what a time to have lived through.Very interesting Borr, thank you. 

• Like 1