Ended up down a wrestling rabbit hole on YouTube as you do, with the algorithm I've been watching tons of clips on it.

I was a massive fan of the WWF in the 80's & 90's, I even got to see it in 92 at Sheffield. I was a big fan of them all, Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Macho Man, Bret Hart, Roddy Piper, even the manager Bobby Heenan was hilarious.

Anyway, watching the interviews of the old wrestlers, you have to respect their careers, yes it's predetermined but no way in hell is it fake. They are tough SOB's and with all the steroids and drugs, their careers and lives were often short. Regarding feuds and storylines,  I'm still not sure whether they were/are all genuine, the Montreal Screwjob springs to mind, was it a work or not? 

Some of their stories are great, Andre drinking over 100 beers, the Macho Man was that paranoid about the cobra that bit him being venomous he insisted Jake Roberts let it bite him first, Steve Austin getting his neck broken by Owen Hart and still carrying on with the match, beats watching Eastenders.

• Thanks 1

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my nana who owned a B&B in Rhyl in the 60s and 70s used to take me to see the wrestling when i was a kid in a cabaret bar called Tito's, i wasn't particularly into the wrestling but she took me be

Used to love watching British wrestling Saturday afternoon as a kid and still remember some of the names. Kendo Nagasaki springs to mind also my grandparents were mad on it aswell. 

I used to watch that as well when I was a kid, World of Sport with old Dickie Davis and the wrestling……then I’d torture my old man trying all the moves out on him. Alan Denison was my favourite f

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Used to love watching British wrestling Saturday afternoon as a kid and still remember some of the names. Kendo Nagasaki springs to mind also my grandparents were mad on it aswell. 

Before my time the likes of Big Daddy & Giant Haystacks, it was the late 80's & early 90's when I got in to it, great entertainment.

• Like 1

How can it be 'predetermined but not fake?'

It's kayfabe, I( leaned the word from STIFFMEISTER.)  Great entertainment. Pantomime.  End of.

Edited by jukel123
32 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

I used to watch that as well when I was a kid, World of Sport with old Dickie Davis and the wrestling……then I’d torture my old man trying all the moves out on him.

Alan Denison was my favourite for some reason ? …….don’t ask me why ? 

My boy was into all the WWF when he was younger, took him to the show in Dublin……great for kids, but my god….the adults !!!…….absolute screamers !

There were obviously quiet a lot of dads there with their kids, all normal enough but the grown blokes who were there in groups or alone ??!……f***ing hell like, men from 25 to 55 walking about with “Bray Wyatt” shirts on and nonsense like that, I mean my little 10 year old lad jumping about all excited is one thing but Gerald aged 46 from Cavan, still lives at home with mum is just f***ing creepy ! Lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
8 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Heard on the radio last week he’s planning on making a comeback, selling off his house to fund it, wants to be the oldest wrestler in history or something 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Les Kellet, v Leon Harris the man from  Paris  aka Brian  glover , Barnsley s finest 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Treeplanter said:

Heard on the radio last week he’s planning on making a comeback, selling off his house to fund it, wants to be the oldest wrestler in history or something 

Got to be in his 80s. Remember that deaf wrestler as well who also worked on the doors around S Yorkshire years ago and was an handful if anyone crossed him. 

10 hours ago, WILF said:

I used to watch that as well when I was a kid, World of Sport with old Dickie Davis and the wrestling……then I’d torture my old man trying all the moves out on him.

Alan Denison was my favourite for some reason ? …….don’t ask me why ? 

My boy was into all the WWF when he was younger, took him to the show in Dublin……great for kids, but my god….the adults !!!…….absolute screamers !

There were obviously quiet a lot of dads there with their kids, all normal enough but the grown blokes who were there in groups or alone ??!……f***ing hell like, men from 25 to 55 walking about with “Bray Wyatt” shirts on and nonsense like that, I mean my little 10 year old lad jumping about all excited is one thing but Gerald aged 46 from Cavan, still lives at home with mum is just f***ing creepy ! Lol 

Mate I can top that....this is a true story...talk about embarrassing...

So back in the early naughties....I worked the Door of the Park plaza hotel here in Nottingham...every year the wwf would come to Nottingham arena for a show 3...4 days I think if my memory is correct...and the wrestlers would all stay in our hotel..every day the bus would pick them up....take them to a local Gym ...and of course to the event itself...

So one evening myself and a few colleagues are stood the door when they arrive...one of our colleagues is stood near the bar...so in they walk...some head to the bar...some straight to there rooms ....this f***ing melt of doorman sees triple HHH.. come in ...but instead of going to the bar HHH goes across the reception area towards the lift....so the melt...chases after him shouting "Hunter Hunter Hunter"....but for some reason he sounded like a right puff....imagine the voice of Allan car...myself and my other colleague just looked at each other in disbelief...he's only trying to get an autograph...f**k me talk about embarrassing...

• Haha 3

Here's another story from the same time...

Steve Collins the ex super midle weight champion...tried to start a fight with one of the wrestlers in the reception area...he'd had a few shandy's....myself and another colleague had to get in between them ...and calm them down...don't know the name of that wrestler big black guy 6 foot 4 ish 19 stone ....just pure muscle...I swear you could see his abs through his jacket...and of course as the argument continued...the wrestlers all started to come out the bar and surround us...I remember that wrestler the Big Show being directly behind the black fella...thank fook after a few mins it calmed down...lol

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, TOMO said:

Steve Collins the ex super midle weight champion...tried to start a fight with one of the wrestlers in the reception area...he'd had a few shandy's....myself and another colleague had to get in between them ...and calm them down...don't know the name of that wrestler big black guy 6 foot 4 ish 19 stone ....just pure muscle...I swear you could see his abs through his jacket...and of course as the argument continued...the wrestlers all started to come out the bar and surround us...I remember that wrestler the Big Show being directly behind the black fella...thank fook after a few mins it calmed down...lol

Who was the money on between them?

8 minutes ago, Borr said:

Who was the money on between them?

I'd go with Collins without a shadow of a doubt. He had a mean streak and world champion boxing ability. His brother was manager of Carlisle Utd. He had an aggressive side to him too.

Maybe the wrestler in a telephone box.

Edited by jukel123
8 minutes ago, TOMO said:

Might have been that Booker T from that era. Another story, Ken Shamrock the UFC fighter was almost beaten to death by a wrestler after a party in his hotel room. I bet shit like this happened all the time, steroids, booze & big ego's.

• Like 1