16 minutes ago, Franks dad said:

I’m liking your moral standards… if that’s the correct phrase ….. if it don’t sit right with me I’d cut my nose off to spite my face apparently…..I take that as a compliment. 

Exactly that mate. 

• Like 1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I looked at a house when me and my wife was first going out, best part of 30 year ago now….it was £60,000 and I remember us racking our heads and think “oh, this is a bit much for us at the minute” 

I think these day's when i tell younger folk how much i paid  for my house in the 80s they don't believe me. Though the same house i first bought i ended up having to sell it after the pit strike due

It's the same in the Lake District and The Highlands There's got to be restrictions on second homes. It's immoral for young people to be forced away from their traditional areas so  yuppies can live i

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Arry said:

I too was a Hob carrier on a Wimpy site when I was 22 in 63 hard graft up and down all day. They f****d me about trying to make me keep 4 going instead of 2 I kicked the site agents door open he nearly shit himself had a partner the next day lol.

Cheers Arry

that's exactly the same as what happened with me four and one gang ,they helped me load the scaffold for the first ten minutes of the day and then i had to keep up, downed tools and they got another labourer the next day

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Arry said:

Going back to villages. A lot of properties were privatly rented by locals rents were put up and up or evicted then sold. As said money is the root of the problem and no new social houses built even after right to buy they never used the money to build more.

Cheers Arry

It’s generational dismantling of the UK in my humble opinion mate, one of the ways that manifests is in the fact that local people in traditional communities can no longer earn a living at their traditional work.

The industry went, the money went, the people went and a broker in New York or London took home a billion quid bonus ! 

We have cracked on like we are still an empire since the war and believed  that we could support millions from elsewhere and still have all the trappings and trinkets of “wealth”……well I bet we don’t feel that wealthy now ! 
There was value in just catching or mining or growing or selling enough to survive while we lived pretty free amongst our kin and our neighbours and our communities……we just couldn’t see it, hey presto, modern Britain ! 
Churchill knew the price of the war was going to be our empire, we should have just swallowed the cost and realised that what we had was pure gold in itself. 

• Like 1

You mentioned principles earlier Wilf, maybe Churchill felt that his principles would not allow parts of Europe to continue to be ruled the way it was between 1939-45 and the UK had to take a stance? For better for poorer? 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Aled said:

You mentioned principles earlier Wilf, maybe Churchill felt that his principles would not allow parts of Europe to continue to be ruled the way it was between 1939-45 and the UK had to take a stance? For better for poorer? 

And I fully agree mate, I think that was the mood of all British people.

Im not saying it was a bad thing and I’m not saying I know best, my post was very much a view with the benefit of hindsight……I was as bad as everyone else once, fully invested as one of the “greed is good” generation so I’m part of the problem too.

I hope I know better now. 

• Like 1
On 10/09/2024 at 10:23, tatsblisters said:

It's also like my youngest daughter in her 30s she works in the laundrette at the care home the old woman works in and also behind the bar at the local pub her partner works as a sheeter and cladder and they rent a private property. The kid's want for nothing and they have holidays and a social life there is no way they could afford to save for a deposit on a decent house but I know for a cert they would have been able too in the 80s with the work ethic they both have. 

The young ones are getting priced out of car insurance these days never mind trying to save for a decent deposit for house. 

Edited by scotty12
  • Like 1