1 minute ago, mC HULL said:

a 2 up 2 down terrace as me old lady would say lol 

Yep my first house I bought in 1982 in a decent area near the park hotel pub in Rotherham. It took me six months working all the overtime I could get at the pit to get the grand deposit on the house that was up for sale for 9 and half grand and a big damp celar aswell 😆 

• Like 3

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I looked at a house when me and my wife was first going out, best part of 30 year ago now….it was £60,000 and I remember us racking our heads and think “oh, this is a bit much for us at the minute” 

I think these day's when i tell younger folk how much i paid  for my house in the 80s they don't believe me. Though the same house i first bought i ended up having to sell it after the pit strike due

It's the same in the Lake District and The Highlands There's got to be restrictions on second homes. It's immoral for young people to be forced away from their traditional areas so  yuppies can live i

Posted Images

There has always been a big discrepancy in wealth between the affluent south and the poorer north but it got worse due to de-industrialisation.

The closure of the coal mines, steel works, shipyards, car manufacturing left entire communities with no employment.

A conscious decision by successive governments to move from manufacturing industries to service industries like banking, insurance, financial institutions meant the money and well paid jobs are overwhelmingly situated in London and the south east.

Cheers.

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

There has always been a big discrepancy in wealth between the affluent south and the poorer north but it got worse due to de-industrialisation.

The closure of the coal mines, steel works, shipyards, car manufacturing left entire communities with no employment.

A conscious decision by successive governments to move from manufacturing industries to service industries like banking, insurance, financial institutions meant the money and well paid jobs are overwhelmingly situated in London and the south east.

Cheers.

That's it, and I'm surprised they put money in to my village as it was all over the news when they were celebrating Thatchers death, I thought the Tories would want to make an example.

10 minutes ago, big feet said:

Our houses at the bottom were the posh part lol. Our back garden was on to some allotments and straight on to the old pit & woods, the best of times pal, kids don't have it the same.

yep same here my kids dont have the burnt out cars on the street to jump all over on the way to school lol 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

yep same here my kids dont have the burnt out cars on the street to jump all over on the way to school lol 

Carrying rabbits & hares down the street proud as a punch when you're a nipper. If you did that now armed police would be waiting at your doorstep. Lol

• Like 4
33 minutes ago, big feet said:

Carrying rabbits & hares down the street proud as a punch when you're a nipper. If you did that now armed police would be waiting at your doorstep. Lol

in the 70s me and my mates used to walk up the local woods and hill through the town streets carrying our air riffles and no one batted an eyelid and the weren't in gun bags

Edited by greg64
  • Like 2
54 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Met a bloke last night who is a boss man on the UK's levelling up programme. I told him I'd seen no evidence of levelling up in my part of the world. He said he wasn't surprised, Britain has spent 809 million on levelling up. When Germany reunified and decided to level up,  East Germany's GDP was only 60% of West Germany. Its now 85%. And they have spent over 2 trillion in bridging the gap. That's 71 billion a year since 1990. East Germany is now performing a lot better than the North of England.

East Germans have seen their standard of living sky rocket as well as their public services. Their average  old age pension is £ 1308 per month ours is officially £884 but not many get that full amount. East Germans have had a visit from Santa. We've just had a visit from Scrooge who cut our pension. But Starmer did say it was a difficult decision so that's OK then.

This bloke said when he first started touring the North of England he was shocked at the poverty and lack of investment. He had lived in the rich South all his life.

Food for thought.

I’d say “levelling up” is just a euphemism for engineering outcomes and that’s always shit, because all that happens (imho) is that a load of extremely well paid “clever” people spend an eternity doing f**k all and the people it’s meant to benefit never end up seeing a fraction of “the budget”

Most policy is self defeating and hypocritical anyway from what I can see of it, it’s no good pretending to help a bloke in an ex pit town start a business only to then throw a shit load of regulation, rules and a mountain of taxes in front of that business so that the individual can never actually succeed.

If they want people to thrive, just take them out of the tax system and stop letting every c**t sell them debt in a system designed to put people in debt ! 
A 3 bed semi don’t need to be half a million pounds !…..tell the banks to start lending to business instead ! 

British people have proven through the ages that they can succeed, just take off the shackles of rules and using them as a cash cow and let them….that’s how you “level up” 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A classic case of how “levelling up” doesn’t work was HS2 !

Started in London and only going as far as Birmingham; the Manchester and Liverpool legs scrapped and it was never meant to REALLY go “up north” to places like Leeds, Middlesbrough, Newcastle.

Why was the work, jobs, wages started in the south ? Why wasn’t it started in the north ?

Billions of pounds over budget and never to reach its potential.

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 5
1 minute ago, chartpolski said:

Stated in London and only going as far as Birmingham; the Manchester and Liverpool legs scrapped and it was never meant to REALLY go “up north” to places like Leeds, Middlesbrough, Newcastle.

Why was the work, jobs, wages started in the south ? Why wasn’t it started in the north ?

Cheers.

Exactly that mate, another grandiose scheme where it’s all just “nobody’s money” …….they would have been better off using that money to allow 300 out of work young people to come out of the tax system all together and let them start contributing to their own life and in doing so the community around them.

Im sure whoever sold the government the debt for the money to do HS2 is doing alright though……..

15 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Talk about leveling up I know these want leveling in Rotherham one of them with the old coldseal office and Indian restaurant has been like that for over 15 years. 

20240909_120651.jpg

20240909_120846.jpg

Is that Tivolis still open or closed down, used to love it in there when first started going out, £15 all you can drink. Lol

• Haha 2

Levelling up is  clearly working in Germany.  But it needs proper planning and proper money. Not state planning carried out by bureaucrats, that's how East Germany ended up a shithole. I'd be bluffing if I knew the what type of personnel are needed. But clearly not politicians, and especially not councillors. We should send a delegation to Germany to learn how they did it. That would be a good earner and jaunt for those involved.Lol

It needs proper money not  just an announcement from Bojo. Incidentally I read Bojo is now the top guy in a uranium  venture. The extremely gifted bird he gave a peerage to is his number two . She must be very good in interviews :very accomplished orally.

I may have dreamt this, but didn't the South gain all the money from being geographically close to the royals and their largesse ? The posh accent also derived from the 'Queens English'. The further away from the court, the less money and the more non posh accents?

3 hours ago, big feet said:

I must be in the minority in that I see that quite often still 

young lads , couple of dogs and ferret box near me , always walking about with game 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Started in London and only going as far as Birmingham; the Manchester and Liverpool legs scrapped and it was never meant to REALLY go “up north” to places like Leeds, Middlesbrough, Newcastle.

Cheers.

Hs2 is a disaster from start to finish from the tender to the procurement to the build , I spent an interesting evening in London not too long ago listening to some of the chief engineers and the reasons that they walked away