Met a bloke last night who is a boss man on the UK's levelling up programme. I told him I'd seen no evidence of levelling up in my part of the world. He said he wasn't surprised, Britain has spent 809 million on levelling up. When Germany reunified and decided to level up,  East Germany's GDP was only 60% of West Germany. Its now 85%. And they have spent over 2 trillion in bridging the gap. That's 71 billion a year since 1990. East Germany is now performing a lot better than the North of England.

East Germans have seen their standard of living sky rocket as well as their public services. Their average  old age pension is £ 1308 per month ours is officially £884 but not many get that full amount. East Germans have had a visit from Santa. We've just had a visit from Scrooge who cut our pension. But Starmer did say it was a difficult decision so that's OK then.

This bloke said when he first started touring the North of England he was shocked at the poverty and lack of investment. He had lived in the rich South all his life.

Food for thought.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I looked at a house when me and my wife was first going out, best part of 30 year ago now….it was £60,000 and I remember us racking our heads and think “oh, this is a bit much for us at the minute” 

I think these day's when i tell younger folk how much i paid  for my house in the 80s they don't believe me. Though the same house i first bought i ended up having to sell it after the pit strike due

It's the same in the Lake District and The Highlands There's got to be restrictions on second homes. It's immoral for young people to be forced away from their traditional areas so  yuppies can live i

Posted Images

That's been part of the problem mate the North has been forgotten for decades then again a lot of Northern towns councils haven't got a clue or the vision to spend the leveling up money sensibly. Take Rotherham Council for example they have spent millions on bike lanes that hardly anyone ever uses and they are in the process of spending millions more on the dead end town a new cinema has just recently opened as they are hoping the footfall into the town will increase but with meadow hall and Parkgate retail world within a short distance of the town I honestly think the money should have been spent on surrounding ex pit villages and Council estates to make the lives of hard working folk who live in them a bit better. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, tatsblisters said:

That's been part of the problem mate the North has been forgotten for decades then again a lot of Northern towns councils haven't got a clue or the vision to spend the leveling up money sensibly. Take Rotherham Council for example they have spent millions on bike lanes that hardly anyone ever uses and they are in the process of spending millions more on the dead end town a new cinema has just recently opened as they are hoping the footfall into the town will increase but with meadow hall and Parkgate retail world within a short distance of the town I honestly think the money should have been spent on surrounding ex pit villages and Council estates to make the lives of hard working folk who live in them a bit better. 

there putting bike lanes in changing road marking to purposely cause congestion theres no other reason for what they are doing mate

1 minute ago, mC HULL said:

there putting bike lanes in changing road marking to purposely cause congestion theres no other reason for what they are doing mate

I agree mate it's complete madness what our Council have done .

• Like 1

It's hopeless having councillors who are amateurs building  f****n bike lanes. It needs to be done by people with a bit of expertise. Maybe  draft in some jerries to show us how it's done.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, tatsblisters said:

I agree mate it's complete madness what our Council have done .

same here mate into town took one lane for bikes then to from work its added an hour for people 

3 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

I'm not sure mate, the trouble is they're useless c**ts that couldn't run a bath. Have you seen the set up in the Netherlands, they have an amazing system for bikers, it's a great idea mate if done right, brilliant for health & fitness.

1 minute ago, jukel123 said:

It's hopeless having councillors who are amateurs building  f****n bike lanes. It needs to be done by people with a bit of expertise. Maybe  draft in some jerries to show us how it's done.

its about ulez schemes 15 minute citys nothing else 

why have pushbikes on the road instead of the path 

1 minute ago, big feet said:

I'm not sure mate, the trouble is they're useless c**ts that couldn't run a bath. Have you seen the set up in the Netherlands, they have an amazing system for bikers, it's a great idea mate if done right, brilliant for health & fitness.

? have you been around the netherlands lol 

but i agree biking is all positives 

• Haha 1
Just now, mC HULL said:

? have you been around the netherlands lol 

but i agree biking is all positives 

Amsterdam yes, and have driven through the Netherlands, as well as France, Belgium & Germany and the Dutch had the best motorways. They have a stronger bicycle culture than us, that is a positive in my eyes. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

I like to get out on my bike. But I'd rather see more employment and decent houses than bike lanes.

To be fair mate even some of the most deprived areas of Northern England have seen improvements in housing, Goldthorpe where I'm from, Grimethorpe, yes that's a real place. Lol

2 minutes ago, big feet said:

This is the street I grew up in, our old house is the one with the palm tree, the rest of the street was all terraces, but they have at least built some newer bungalow council houses.

Screenshot_20240909-100444.png

Screenshot_20240909-100512.png

Screenshot_20240909-100532.png

a 2 up 2 down terrace as me old lady would say lol 

• Haha 1
Just now, mC HULL said:

a 2 up 2 down terrace as me old lady would say lol 

Our houses at the bottom were the posh part lol. Our back garden was on to some allotments and straight on to the old pit & woods, the best of times pal, kids don't have it the same.

• Like 3