23 hours ago, big feet said:

My camera has arrived today, talk about complicated. And I thought I was good with technology

Which model and make did you get mate? 

6 minutes ago, mackem said:

Which model and make did you get mate? 

The Canon R10 mirrorless mate. It comes with a 18-45mm kit lens, I've now got to decide on a telephoto lens. There's a few options, I can buy a zoom lens designed for these modern cameras or buy an adaptor and purchase a lens designed for the older DSLR's. 

2 hours ago, big feet said:

The Canon R10 mirrorless mate. It comes with a 18-45mm kit lens, I've now got to decide on a telephoto lens. There's a few options, I can buy a zoom lens designed for these modern cameras or buy an adaptor and purchase a lens designed for the older DSLR's. 

I looked at the specs on that, very nice camera, ideal for wildlife photography. 

1 hour ago, mackem said:

I looked at the specs on that, very nice camera, ideal for wildlife photography. 

Yes mate, just need to decide on a zoom lens now, the 18-45mm isn't ideal for wildlife/bird photography. They are so complicated with all the settings, madness.

• Like 1

Does your new camera have a fairly compact body compared to the old slr's mate?  I dabbled into the camera world about 15 years ago. Brought a new Canno 7d and 70-200 2.8 lens to bolt on it. About 2.5 k's worth. I justified it to my Mrs saying it would be ideal for the kids sports days and that, which it was, but the real purpose was for some canine galloping action!! Lol..

IMG-20230515-WA0001-02.jpeg.96078519a9dc8d3d163a1bb80a0a8c74.jpeg

Be handy that mate with having the young family. It's can be challenging getting your head around it at the beginning though. I struggled. I am a bit of a thick f****r mind!! Lol..

Edited by Bush Rummager
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Bush Rummager said:

Does your new camera have a fairly compact body compared to the old slr's mate?  I dabbled into the camera world about 15 years ago. Brought a new Canno 7d and 70-200 2.8 lens to bolt on it. About 2.5 k's worth. I justified it to my Mrs saying it would be ideal for the kids sports days and that, which it was, but the real purpose was for some canine galloping action!! Lol..

IMG-20230515-WA0001-02.jpeg.96078519a9dc8d3d163a1bb80a0a8c74.jpeg

Be handy that mate with having the young family. It's can be challenging getting your head around it at the beginning though. I struggled. I am a bit of a thick f****r mind!! Lol..

Yes mate, it's brilliant for wildlife as it shoots at 15fps mechanical and over 20fps with the electronic shutter, apparently the autofocus pisses all over the older DSLR's.

It's the first proper camera I've really had so just getting to grips with it, I need a zoom lens, they are crazy expensive so need to talk the Mrs around eventually. Lol

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, big feet said:

Yes mate, it's brilliant for wildlife as it shoots at 15fps mechanical and over 20fps with the electronic shutter, apparently the autofocus pisses all over the older DSLR's.

It's the first proper camera I've really had so just getting to grips with it, I need a zoom lens, they are crazy expensive so need to talk the Mrs around eventually. Lol

Nice one mate. Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it. Start working early on the Mrs then.. they usually come around eventually!!

14 minutes ago, Bush Rummager said:

Nice one mate. Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it. Start working early on the Mrs then.. they usually come around eventually!!

I bought the camera used off eBay for £700 with the kit lens, 18-45mm really gets you nowhere. Even for out and out wildlife I'll need something with more throw than a 200mm. There's an amazing 100-500mm that's pro grade or a still great 200-800mm, these are new lenses so still over 2k.

49 minutes ago, big feet said:

I bought the camera used off eBay for £700 with the kit lens, 18-45mm really gets you nowhere. Even for out and out wildlife I'll need something with more throw than a 200mm. There's an amazing 100-500mm that's pro grade or a still great 200-800mm, these are new lenses so still over 2k.

Some dollars that is but I'm sure top notch glass like that will hold it's value pretty well so up you bail out down the line, all is not lost. 800 mm is ridiculous.. what are you planning on sniping with that? Lol.. I think my old 7d wasn't a full size sensor so somehow it resulted in me getting more than 200mm zoom, but not much mind. I could crop images quite heavily too due to the crazy big image resolution. But yes, bigger is always better as they say!

2 minutes ago, Bush Rummager said:

Some dollars that is but I'm sure top notch glass like that will hold it's value pretty well so up you bail out down the line, all is not lost. 800 mm is ridiculous.. what are you planning on sniping with that? Lol.. I think my old 7d wasn't a full size sensor so somehow it resulted in me getting more than 200mm zoom, but not much mind. I could crop images quite heavily too due to the crazy big image resolution. But yes, bigger is always better as they say!

Mine is a cropped sensor so if I got a 800mm lens it would actually be equivalent of 1280mm. Yours would have been 320mm, you'd be able to shoot some animals with that, it's like 25x zoom.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, big feet said:

Mine is a cropped sensor so if I got a 800mm lens it would actually be equivalent of 1280mm. Yours would have been 320mm, you'd be able to shoot some animals with that, it's like 25x zoom.

Ahh.. yes, that's right mate! A cropped sensor!! I've forgotten most of what I learned from back then. Does make a relevant difference. I tried some cheaper 3rd party lenses, a few of the Sigma ones, and from what I can remember they weren't great at all to be honest. No beating the proper Canon L lenses. Not sure about things now though as I'm out of the scene!

4 minutes ago, Bush Rummager said:

Ahh.. yes, that's right mate! A cropped sensor!! I've forgotten most of what I learned from back then. Does make a relevant difference. I tried some cheaper 3rd party lenses, a few of the Sigma ones, and from what I can remember they weren't great at all to be honest. No beating the proper Canon L lenses. Not sure about things now though as I'm out of the scene!

Did you end up flogging your gear, I think you would do well to get back in the scene. Lol

2 minutes ago, big feet said:

Did you end up flogging your gear, I think you would do well to get back in the scene. Lol

I did sell it on mate after a few years. Just used it less and less over time. Shame really. Some fella brought it off me to do photography at rugby games. To be honest mate, I loved getting out with the gear and taking pics.. wildlife, dogs, kids, whippet racing whatever it was, but I absolutely hated, and was useless at managing the files on the laptop, as in processing the RAW files, and just generally managing, organising and storing them. It was a monumental ballache. Probably what actually put me off in the end!