Did you have a good Upbringing?

1 minute ago, jukel123 said:

Send some pictures when you land them mate.

Fishing next week,I did make you the offer of coming over if you remember,but you declined because there was no one to make you bedtime cocoa,tuck you into bed,and sing you a lullaby as you drifted off to dreamland.

IMG_0276.jpeg

• Haha 2

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I enjoyed growing up  on one of the most deprived (apparently)council estates in the UK🙄...was taught what was right from wrong,never to raise a hand to a women,respect my elders,never bully or take o

Depends how you judge things I had shit parents grew up on a bad council estate was pretty feral from my early teens, but I,ve learnt from the negatives looked after my own kids to well and am doing a

I grew up on an estate in East London it was what it was, my mother remarried when I was relatively young and my stepfather didn’t like me or my brother in fact he was an absolute arsehole I don’t rea

Posted Images

Wow ! This is like reading “Tales From The Workhouse” ! 
Did nobody just have a normal upbringing ?

I had what I imagine every kid that was brought up in a 50’s and 60’s working class family had.

It wasn’t until I was 24 that the great adventure came out of absolutely nowhere and my life took a completely and unplanned turn and I saw the world outside of a council estate .

I saw the world and met people and did things I could never have dreamed of when I was a kid playing on bomb sites in Newcastle 

Cheers.

Normal upbringing here, hard working parents who provided for us all really well. By eck we (me mainly) had some proper bollocking off my dad who was a moaning old fart but as I get older and find myself turning into him I realise he was right. 

I feel for people who had it shite growing up and always hope they turned things around and were better with their own families rather than carrying on where there parents left off. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Timmy H said:

Not all like that. My old man is ex RAF, a right b*****d. My sister was an officer, she's a nasty thieving cow, we don't speak to her.

Mums brothers were all in the navy and hated my dad, I do too. He's a bully and a c**t and unfortunately still alive. I have a bottle of Green Ore waiting to celebrate when he kicks the bucket. Hopefully soon.

I bet Christmas is a bundle of chuckles at your gaff ! Lol 

I grew up mostly with my grandparents who were SP bookies as were their parents. I can't remember ever going hungry and I learnt to always pay my bills because I saw what happens if you don't. They were nice people until you crossed them and I grew up well cared for.

Edited by Aussie Whip

I enjoyed my childhood,  brought up in a small Welsh town living 2 miles out of it so I had all the fields and countryside around my house but 15 mins of the pushbike I was into town with My mates enjoying myself. We were on the poor end of families around here but never really upset me . Mum and dad worked they just had shit jobs so no decent money to spend . No knife crime or any sort or serious crime around here so never felt any worry of something really dangerous happening . I can't fault it . My kids have been brought up in the town itself so they spend most of their time down the parks with their mates playing football every chance they can get .  

I'm 40 now and if I popped my clogs tommorow I would be content with how my life has turned out . So many people have had it so much rougher than me . I will never be a rich man financially I've come to that conclusion a while ago. Bit my literal sole reason for living is for my kids . Every bit of my life is around them every day and last couple of years I've put a pause on pretty much anything for myself because theirs so much they are into.  Both my kids love their football and Every night of the week I'm taking one of them to training . My daughter plays for 3 teams and my boy is in a academy so it's non stop and is costing me £1 500 a year for fees and kits for them . 

I had a great childhood and my job is to give them theirs by driving them around everywhere doing things they enjoy . Every club they play for is a hour one way each night , it drains me sometimes . But worth it every single time when their happy.  

With all that idyllic and rose tinted talk it's easy for me to forget their have been plenty of shit times aswell , I got kicked out of parents house at 16 and didn't speak to my dad from that day until my son was born when I was 25 . My mum is the sweetest loveliest woman around and I disappointed her constantly for years with being a little prick and bringing trouble to the house constantly . That will carry on my concience for the rest of my life . 

But what I would give to be 12/13 again . Sunny summers kicking a football around on my mate lukes front garden , have my first smoke around the back of the castle taking rapid drags of the cigarette to hurry it up incase someone caught us , going fishing with Steve and catching 5 fish within a couple of hours and hiding from the bailiff who lived close by then running over to my mums to chuck them in the freezer . Oasis,  lambert&butler, Euro 96 , Eric Cantona and no comprehension of how soul destroying work can be .

f***ing hell I miss it like mad 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just a normal upbringing tbh 2 hard working parents and in all honesty I was a bit spoilt in being allowed to get away with certain things unlike my two sisters that the old man was more strict with though they have turned out a lot better than me and have good well paid job's and have made more of their lives than I have. Growing up we never went without and had holidays every year albeit in this country. Only thing I thank them for is installing a strong work ethic in me as I have never been afraid of a bit of graft just a pity I am a thick feker and have never been academically inclined unlike my two sisters who did university and went on to good careers even though it did make them snobs. 

• Like 3

9 years in kid's home run by nuns age 3 till 12 years old , nuns are the devil , back home not much better , dad never bothered mother more into her boyfriend then me an my brothers 

• Sad 3
9 hours ago, gnipper said:

Normal upbringing here, hard working parents who provided for us all really well. By eck we (me mainly) had some proper bollocking off my dad who was a moaning old fart but as I get older and find myself turning into him I realise he was right. 

I feel for people who had it shite growing up and always hope they turned things around and were better with their own families rather than carrying on where there parents left off. 

I am of the opinion if as parents you work for a living it's odds on your kids will do the same. The amount of youth around me I see hanging about and in some cases being a nuisance are mainly from parents that's never worked or have had a shitty upbringing. 

• Like 2

Born in 51 and lived on a new estate us kids all raked around together and to be honest it was great. We was all lean things nobody had much money or food. My old man drank most away in the pub and the rest in the bookies, mother did her best but was hopeless cook. 

Us kids would bugger off to the woods making bows and arrows spears making camps come home as the sun was going down great memories. Evenings raking around the estate playing kick the can or as it got later knock down ginger till one mother after another called to come home leaving maybe couple of us sitting on the wall chatting. We would build a big bomb fire on a bit of waste ground and buy bangers for weeks before. Then put them in our empty school satchel and in a gang raid the posh streets slinging bangers in the gardens.

As I got older messed about mixing weedkiller and sugar making home made bombs lol and shooting anything with airguns including street lights. Then started poaching on the Dukes estate for pheasants which help feed us. Got my first ferret when I was 12 or 13 made a hutch out of an old blanket box mother let me have. That was hard enough as father never looked after his tools a rusty old saw hanging in the shed a hammer with a bit of hazel as a shaft, nails nicked from the building sites. I leant from my old mans mistakes I loved tools and looked after them, still find myself looking at tools at the market like I need any more.

I loved it back then apart from school would day dream looking out the window wishing I was out with the ferret or fishing. Was always getting the board rubber throw at me or chalk lol. Hated it have to stand up in class and read a page which I struggled to do and would often read the same line again, only to get laughed at. I didn't know it at the time but I was dyslexic only realised when my youngest son was diagnosed and I thought f**k me thats me. 

Holidays get up grab the ferret or rod and gone no food no water seem weird thinking back used to go all day. 

I don't blame my parents they were hopeless tried hard really but wasted any money they got. But the War must have been a big affect on their lives sent away losing a brother and coming back expected to be parents.

Still it all makes us what we are and learn by their mistakes.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 7

My mother had a difficult birth with me and finally produced a baby of more than ten pounds. She was so exhausted and disappointed that I wasn't her longed for girl, that she temporarily rejected me and it was up to the midwife to give me a name.

She quickly got her act together though and I had a bond with her which the other boys didn't have. I don"t remember her ever hitting me or criticising me. She said I was the most easy going baby and I always had a beaming smile for her. In return I never gave her any backchat ever and would defend her against my dad. She always had my interests at heart and would say to me " always leave your mark". Or" it doesn't matter if you win as long as you do your best."

I got into bother when I was 13 onwards and it broke her heart. That's one of my biggest regrets.

She gave me a great start in life. I've always had an inner confidence which I think she gave me and I've always been grateful for that.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 3
13 minutes ago, Arry said:

Born in 51 and lived on a new estate us kids all raked around together and to be honest it was great. We was all lean things nobody had much money or food. My old man drank most away in the pub and the rest in the bookies, mother did her best but was hopeless cook. 

Us kids would bugger off to the woods making bows and arrows spears making camps come home as the sun was going down great memories. Evenings raking around the estate playing kick the can or as it got later knock down ginger till one mother after another called to come home leaving maybe couple of us sitting on the wall chatting. We would build a big bomb fire on a big of waste ground and buy bangers for weeks before. Then put them in our empty school satchel and in a gang raid the posh streets slinging bangers in the gardens.

As I got older messed about mixing weedkiller and sugar making home made bombs lol and shooting anything with airguns including street lights. Then started poaching on the Dukes estate for pheasants which help feed us. Got my first ferret when I was 12 or 13 made a hutch out of an old blanket box mother let me have. That was hard enough as father never looked after his tools a rusty old saw hanging in the shed a hammer with a bit of hazel as a shaft, nails nicked from the building sites. I leant from my old mans mistakes I loved tools and looked after them, still find myself looking at tools at the market like I need any more.

I loved it back then apart from school would day dream looking out the window wishing I was out with the ferret or fishing. Was always getting the board rubber throw at me or chalk lol. Hated it have to stand up in class and read a page which I struggled to do and would often read the same line again, only to get laughed at. I didn't know it at the time but I was dyslexic only realised when my youngest son was diagnosed and I thought f**k me thats me. 

Holidays get up grab the ferret or rod and gone no food no water seem weird thinking back used to go all day. 

I don't blame my parents they were hopeless tried hard really but wasted any money they got. But the War must have been a big affect on their lives sent away losing a brother and coming back expected to be parents.

Still it all makes us what we are and learn by their mistakes.

Cheers Arry

I had a very similar youth including the dyslexia got close to nature at a young age my best friend was a jack Russell he came most places with me looking back at it now I feel that I was blessed f**k they were good times

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was always fortunate because I was a good reader. It must have been tough being dyslexic. Looking back I think at least two of my mates were. One also had a stammer and the teacher made him read out loud same as the rest of us. I could feel his pain and embarrassment. Poor sod.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

I was always fortunate because I was a good reader. It must have been tough being dyslexic. Looking back I think at least two of my mates were. One also had a stammer and the teacher made him read out loud same as the rest of us. I could feel his pain and embarrassment. Poor sod.

Teachers for you most of them are horrible b*****ds who seem to take pleasure in making kids feel shite.

• Like 3