Did you have a good Upbringing?

34 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Lucky you , we were that poor when we grew up that we had to wank the dog off to feed the cat 

Our Russell used to kill cats we would skin them and sell them as rabbits to the neighbours only if they knew they were eating their own kitty

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I enjoyed growing up  on one of the most deprived (apparently)council estates in the UK🙄...was taught what was right from wrong,never to raise a hand to a women,respect my elders,never bully or take o

Depends how you judge things I had shit parents grew up on a bad council estate was pretty feral from my early teens, but I,ve learnt from the negatives looked after my own kids to well and am doing a

I grew up on an estate in East London it was what it was, my mother remarried when I was relatively young and my stepfather didn’t like me or my brother in fact he was an absolute arsehole I don’t rea

Posted Images

Was alright, definitely much more privilege then alot of kids. Two parents, decent house both worked, ect.. dad had a few years where it was rough but after learning how grandad treated him well, let's just say we both had to do some growing in the mental health department. But we've made amends now and working on it. 

Anyhow still have some issues when it comes to deal with people and ther families who had like the really classic up bringing ..eating together at the table going out together all the time and all that. Wife's family is like that and I find it a bit awkward and hard to deal with at times

• Like 8
11 minutes ago, dai dogs said:

Our Russell used to kill cats we would skin them and sell them as rabbits to the neighbours only if they knew they were eating their own kitty

My mother told me about “Felling hares” during the war…..  they weren’t really hares.

True story.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, chartpolski said:

My mother told me about “Felling hares” during the war…..  they weren’t really hares.

True story.

Cheers.

I’ve told the story about how school thought I was some sort of SEND case when I refused to believe that no one else used to have 4 legged chickens for tea. 

29 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

I had a fantastic, free childhood. I roamed the streets till all hours. I had lots of friends And I looked forward to everyday.

Christmas, playing football and cricket from dawn to dusk. Easter eggs, new clothes at Whit, long summer holidays wearing wellies and roaming all over Salford and beyond. A platform ticket was my passport to the world. Just go to the toilet whenever the guard appeared and you could travel anywhere. We used to wait till we spied a pond. Get off at the next station,walk back and  catch frogs and newts to our heart's content. I used to keep a few and sell the rest  at school. Same for conker season. Collect bag fulls and sell them for a penny each. I was seriously rich.

Bonfire night was one of the highlights of the year. Collecting firewood, scrapping with other kids who claimed the same wood and letting off fireworks for  a fortnight. We always had our own bonfire and we defended our wood in shifts. Come the big night my mam would make chewy treacle toffee and I can remember her beaming at the height of the bonfire her army of sons had built. I remember her delighted, reddened face illuminated by the firelight. I think she became a little girl again for the night.

A brilliant childhood . I wouldn't have swapped it.

My dad was a grumpy, distant figure but he brought the money in, repaired the soles and heels of our shoes, cut our hair and kept discipline...allegedly. 8 boys was a big ask, but he managed.

We were poor and everybody else was too. All my clothes were hand me downs with the odd new shirt or jumper at Whit. We occasionally had our electricity cut off. But we had tilly lamps and primus stoves so it was more of an adventure than a deprivation.

All in all I reckon my parents did me proud. My dad blotted his copy book with occasional bouts of violence towards my mother which I never forgave him for. But if I were to give my parents marks for my childhood it would be a definite 9.

20 minutes ago, WILF said:

That’s a pretty nice post that mate, fair play to you.

Yeah, the SPOILED TWAT!!!  😬

• Haha 3
37 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

I had a fantastic, free childhood. I roamed the streets till all hours. I had lots of friends And I looked forward to everyday.

Christmas, playing football and cricket from dawn to dusk. Easter eggs, new clothes at Whit, long summer holidays wearing wellies and roaming all over Salford and beyond. A platform ticket was my passport to the world. Just go to the toilet whenever the guard appeared and you could travel anywhere. We used to wait till we spied a pond. Get off at the next station,walk back and  catch frogs and newts to our heart's content. I used to keep a few and sell the rest  at school. Same for conker season. Collect bag fulls and sell them for a penny each. I was seriously rich.

Bonfire night was one of the highlights of the year. Collecting firewood, scrapping with other kids who claimed the same wood and letting off fireworks for  a fortnight. We always had our own bonfire and we defended our wood in shifts. Come the big night my mam would make chewy treacle toffee and I can remember her beaming at the height of the bonfire her army of sons had built. I remember her delighted, reddened face illuminated by the firelight. I think she became a little girl again for the night.

A brilliant childhood . I wouldn't have swapped it.

My dad was a grumpy, distant figure but he brought the money in, repaired the soles and heels of our shoes, cut our hair and kept discipline...allegedly. 8 boys was a big ask, but he managed.

We were poor and everybody else was too. All my clothes were hand me downs with the odd new shirt or jumper at Whit. We occasionally had our electricity cut off. But we had tilly lamps and primus stoves so it was more of an adventure than a deprivation.

All in all I reckon my parents did me proud. My dad blotted his copy book with occasional bouts of violence towards my mother which I never forgave him for. But if I were to give my parents marks for my childhood it would be a definite 9.

I hate you!!  🤨

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Depends how you judge things I had shit parents grew up on a bad council estate was pretty feral from my early teens, but I,ve learnt from the negatives looked after my own kids to well and am doing alright 

Same! 

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I’ve told the story about how school thought I was some sort of SEND case when I refused to believe that no one else used to have 4 legged chickens for tea. 

They were right x

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

The shit hit the fan when I was 13 mate. I had a miserable teenage phase if that helps.

Oh f**k off little Lord Fonteroy, don’t start trying to buy some street cred now with the troubled teenager act ! Lol 

Edited by WILF
  • Haha 4

I gave my old man a bad press. So here's a good memory of him

In the early fifties,kids used to make up their own bikes. A chain here, a wheel there, a borrowed pedal. So I would be about 8 and I was riding  my old jalopy in a play street where no cars were allowed. Unfortunately my pride and joy had a very, very defective braking system, so despite desperate efforts to stop,  I careered into a bloke's parked van and scraped the paintwork from the front to the back wheel. The owner came out white with rage, grabbed me by the shoulder and asked me where I lived. I wasn't daft and gave him a fictitious address but his Mrs came out and pointed her man in the right direction.

At one point I tried to struggle free, so he grabbed me by the lug.

We arrived at my house and he banged on the door like he owned the place.  I knew that was a BIG mistake.

Dad came to the door and ordered me to bed. I thought f****n hell I'm in for it now. Next I heard a tremendous THWACK and a long groan. I looked out of the bedroom window and the bloke's face was a mass of blood. I heard "dont you ever  put your hands on my kids again"

At which the bloke disappeared with his tail between his legs.

The old man came into the bedroom and told me to tell him if that bloke ever bothered me again and said I was free to go.

I still don't know if he nutted him or punched him. But that bloke never hassled me again.Lol

So the old man was a bit of a hero of mine for a while.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, FLATTOP said:

I must admit mate I envy my boy for the friendships he’s made in his military service they are all spot on lads and lasses and me and my wife consider a lot of them friends of the family because of the experiences and hardships they have spent together, I will never forget when we went to his passing out parade at RAF Halton and they said you are now part of the RAF family, you will definitely have friends for life due to your career.

Not all like that. My old man is ex RAF, a right b*****d. My sister was an officer, she's a nasty thieving cow, we don't speak to her.

Mums brothers were all in the navy and hated my dad, I do too. He's a bully and a c**t and unfortunately still alive. I have a bottle of Green Ore waiting to celebrate when he kicks the bucket. Hopefully soon.

5 minutes ago, Timmy H said:

Not all like that. My old man is ex RAF, a right b*****d. My sister was an officer, she's a nasty thieving cow, we don't speak to her.

Mums brothers were all in the navy and hated my dad, I do too. He's a bully and a c**t and unfortunately still alive. I have a bottle of Green Ore waiting to celebrate when he kicks the bucket. Hopefully soon.

Yeah, but apart from that, your childhood was a breeze? Deliriously happy?