Breeding siblings ?

Just now, jeemes said:

If you want to learn you need to understand how genes divide when the egg is fertilised by the sperm and how they are divided into dominant and recessive, and how traits are represented by dominant and recessive genes. 

If dominant is D and recessive is R there is 3 ways they can divide and come together DD DR RR. Good traits are usually dominant. You cant add by inbreeding you can only take away, so you take away the dross. The recessive. When recessives come together you see the flaw, ie flat feet, cowardice, cow hocks etc. So you cull or remove from programme. The ideal is all traits represented by DD double dominant.

• Like 5

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It never done me no harm

ive done half brother and sister mating,and son over his mother all pups were fine and good examples of there breed then i out crossed

If dominant is D and recessive is R there is 3 ways they can divide and come together DD DR RR. Good traits are usually dominant. You cant add by inbreeding you can only take away, so you take away th

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, jeemes said:

You can lock in good or bad. Inbreeding is just a lot quicker in the beginning.

this is we’re i would use it if i was at the start 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, jeemes said:

If dominant is D and recessive is R there is 3 ways they can divide and come together DD DR RR. Good traits are usually dominant. You cant add by inbreeding you can only take away, so you take away the dross. The recessive. When recessives come together you see the flaw, ie flat feet, cowardice, cow hocks etc. So you cull or remove from programme. The ideal is all traits represented by DD double dominant.

So how do you then make improvements and breed in desirable traits? 

9 minutes ago, jeemes said:

there’s only one trait i need the ability to catch what’s it’s running it can be cow hocked flat footed i ain’t bothered lol 

i get what you saying regarding the genes

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Backandbeyond said:

by using a dog with that trait then linebreeding to keep it 

my bitch is similar to her sire if she still with me 4 year time i’ll put her to his brother who is as close to her sire as you can wish ive never seen 2 dogs from a litter be so alike from looks attitude to ability i get something from that the my dogs straws be coming out in a decade or so lol that should see me out in me daywalking days lol

34 minutes ago, Backandbeyond said:

You then go for a good outcross as long as the brother,sister mating has no faults and are the type you are wanting.You do that then next time outcross to strengthen the gene again.Ive done it years ago with my borders and half brother half sister,then chose the right outcross to come back into it.worked for me for 34yrs with the borders mate.

2 hours ago, jeemes said:

You are taking the bigger chance with unrelated breeding. Close breeding puts the odds in your favour. Bad breeding is fixing bad traits or conditions because they are unseen or ignored.

Probably true but you can end up with lower fertility and less robust animals through too much close breeding unless you ruthlessly cull and I don't like snuffing out pups. Eventually you have to outcross to a different family anyway so all the hard work seems in vain to me. 

7 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

Probably true but you can end up with lower fertility and less robust animals through too much close breeding unless you ruthlessly cull and I don't like snuffing out pups. Eventually you have to outcross to a different family anyway so all the hard work seems in vain to me. 

depends how big the pool of dogs were at the start i could breed different lines same family loads a different ways never outcrossing well some say that is outcrossing 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

That will only happen if you keep doing it that’s why I would do it once then out cross to keep it strong.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

depends how big the pool of dogs were at the start i could breed different lines same family loads a different ways never outcrossing well some say that is outcrossing 

You'd need to own a lot of dogs or have them out on breeding terms to do that? 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

You can do that for years mate I know a few lads the same,I could of done it with that border bitch I’ve just bred off.But went for my stuff to put head size into them as the lads breeding lacks that.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

You can also end up with bigger fertility. You dont have to kill pups just dont breed them. 

• Like 1