4 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Great line up!

Del Amitri headlining, used to love that band, my first gig was REM abd Del Amitri were the support, old Cardiff Arms Park early 90s, our car was broken into, smashed the front drivers window in and nicked the stereo, f***ing freezing on the drive home sat in the back with the wind blowing in going down the M5 lol

What happened to those nicked car stereos? They seemed to be like a currency of their own. My brother in law bought a brand new car, went into a pub, asked his mates to come and check out his new car and in that space of time some fecker had smashed the drivers window and nicked the stereo.

I never quite realised how  much music means to people. It's a major, major part of people's lives. I guess it's a way to get off the stressful roundabout of modern lives. It's a f****r  that so many of the chief entertainers fall prey to drugs. Like my favourite, Peter Green, plus Hendrix, Janice Joplin, Kurt Cobain Amy Whinehouse and many many others. There were drugs around in the 60s but nothing like the extent that they are now. I was always too scared to take anything serious like LSD or heroin. I always figured life is hard enough without having those sort of monkeys on your back. I was once at a party and a lad jumped out of a second floor window and broke both his legs. He was tripping and thought the devil was chasing him. So I thought sod that. My mental health is precarious enough without that stuff.lol

• Like 1

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The queue waiting for the Oasis gig tickets to go on sale.Gunna be silly Paul weller haircuts and shitty green parkas as far as the eye can see.

If you try to find the musical soundtrack of our lives , they may be the glam sounds of an exotically grimy LA for some with guns and roses , the urban decay and grind of hip hop , the neon fairground

😂  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jukel123 said:

Everybody borrows musical styles imo. You could argue Michael Jackson was a tribute act to James Brown. And Brown lists many artists as his inspiration. Jackson wasn't even ghe first to display the moonwalk.

I always think  Clapton has earned an exceptional living from copying America's blues artists.

American blues, now you're talking. I listen to it a lot but not when 'she who must be obeyed' is in earshot. She says

It's miserable bollocks. Not true.

My favourite from the 60s is Peter Green who played with John Mayall and Fleetwood Mac. The word genius is banded about too readily, but it fits him. A bluesman that the likes of BB King said his notes gave him the cold sweats. How did a self taught kid from a council house write Albatross? That's not even my favourite.  He spent a lot of his life locked up in asylums after a bad LSD trip but was released and formed a new band. I was determined to go and see him but sadly he died before I got round to it.

This man can play...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not much of a music fan myself dont mind a bit of Oasis but remember being on holiday once hearing an annoying Manchester accent in a queue behind me.....eventually turned round to see a geezer with one of them dopey haircuts i just looked at him and literally burst out laughing i couldnt help it and was none too subtle admittedly......he gave me a " whats so funny look " and i thought well f**k it im here now so preceded to explain to him how my old Auntie Rita back in the 70's had the exact same look and how i always presumed she wore a syrup......took it well enough the geezer ended up having a giggle but for f****n crying out loud what is that look all about its just totally outrageous !

• Haha 3
13 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

If you try to find the musical soundtrack of our lives , they may be the glam sounds of an exotically grimy LA for some with guns and roses , the urban decay and grind of hip hop , the neon fairground of dance music , be it jungle , garage , house , trance , clubland , rave , for most of us , oasis will be a pretty large part of that .

The only true voice for British males in that period , who spoke to a generation of us , regardless of who we all listened to , the single common thread is oasis . 

I saw then described as arrogant , shite .  Noel Gallagher has every right to be arrogant . He wrote arguably the uks greatest album , song and b side collection .

Live forever ( written about his brother Liam ) is arguably the greatest friendship song ever written and is often voted the uks greatest song. 

a sign of Noel’s genius is that he wrote a song called all around the world , and sat on it for more that a decade until the band could afford an orchestra to play it.

He also in my opinion wrote the best song ever recorded , ( masterplan)  and threw it away buried in a b side . 

they just did not care about the traditional route to success . They are completely unique in that regard. They were five lads from council estates in Manchester when they started and that’s what they have remained throughout . 

Are they the world’s greatest band ? 

probably not , but there’s not many better . You can’t compare them to anyone else really for the influence and the impact they had over the last thirty years. 

in a way I don’t want them to get back , I want them to be the oasis they were . They can’t be . but it will  be fun to see them back again .

IMG_6850.jpeg

IMG_6849.jpeg

Well shit in your hat and punch it !......just when you think you have the odd forum member pretty weighed up....and they come out with a post like that :laugh:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, NEWKID said:

Great line up!

Del Amitri headlining, used to love that band, my first gig was REM abd Del Amitri were the support, old Cardiff Arms Park early 90s, our car was broken into, smashed the front drivers window in and nicked the stereo, f***ing freezing on the drive home sat in the back with the wind blowing in going down the M5 lol

But well worth the pain to get the f**k out of Cardiff ! Lol 

46 minutes ago, WILF said:

But well worth the pain to get the f**k out of Cardiff ! Lol 

Too right, was rough as f**k back then! Lol

Was up the new stadium for Bruce Springsteen earlier this year, nothing like the shot hole from yester year! Lol

We were up there for 14 weeks working, had some great nights out and a few dodgy ones, not a bad city Cardiff, just a shame it's full of the Welsh...😇😁

2 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Great line up!

If you get tickets let me know what you're driving and where its parked and I'll have the window put in for you, bit of nostalgia for on the way home 😂

• Haha 6
15 minutes ago, Bakerboy said:

If you get tickets let me know what you're driving and where its parked and I'll have the window put in for you, bit of nostalgia for on the way home 😂

Cheers mate, love you Welsh lads, really look after us cousins over the border! Lol

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, pesky1972 said:

Not a superfan by any stretch but I’ll try for tickets on Saturday, although not holding out much hope. Reckon there’ll be 10x as many disappointed as get tickets. I also think they’ll be fcuking extortionate. Average Taylor Swift tickets were about 500 brick.., I think these will be at least that. 
This is a lottery ticket they were always going to cash in but I wonder why now. 
First time I saw them was the first T in the Park in July ‘94. Sure I paid less than £50 for the weekend. Those were the days! 

IMG_2183.jpeg

Seen the levellers,rage against the machine yrs back along with cypress hill ,everlast and house of pain👌

• Like 1

My kids were teenagers in the 90s. I could hear The Stones Roses, Black Grape and The Smiths blasting from their bedrooms. On a rare occasion that I was actually allowed in one of their rooms, I spotted a photo of Salford Boys' Club on the cover of a CD featuring The Smiths. I happened to mention I was a member of that club in the fifties and sixties, and that, like all ex members, my name is painted on a wall of the club. 

What a transformation! For a brief period I was cool, hero dad and not boring old fecker dad. Even their mates looked upon me with new respect. Didn't last long, especially when I told them that I thought The Smiths were the soppiest, most whining group I've ever heard in my life. And they f****n are!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
16 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

If you try to find the musical soundtrack of our lives , they may be the glam sounds of an exotically grimy LA for some with guns and roses , the urban decay and grind of hip hop , the neon fairground of dance music , be it jungle , garage , house , trance , clubland , rave , for most of us , oasis will be a pretty large part of that .

The only true voice for British males in that period , who spoke to a generation of us , regardless of who we all listened to , the single common thread is oasis . 

I saw then described as arrogant , shite .  Noel Gallagher has every right to be arrogant . He wrote arguably the uks greatest album , song and b side collection .

Live forever ( written about his brother Liam ) is arguably the greatest friendship song ever written and is often voted the uks greatest song. 

a sign of Noel’s genius is that he wrote a song called all around the world , and sat on it for more that a decade until the band could afford an orchestra to play it.

He also in my opinion wrote the best song ever recorded , ( masterplan)  and threw it away buried in a b side . 

they just did not care about the traditional route to success . They are completely unique in that regard. They were five lads from council estates in Manchester when they started and that’s what they have remained throughout . 

Are they the world’s greatest band ? 

probably not , but there’s not many better . You can’t compare them to anyone else really for the influence and the impact they had over the last thirty years. 

in a way I don’t want them to get back , I want them to be the oasis they were . They can’t be . but it will  be fun to see them back again .

IMG_6850.jpeg

IMG_6849.jpeg

You sound like you are obsessed stiff..writing that you must of had the haircut and green parka on lol..

5 hours ago, jukel123 said:

My favourite from the 60s is Peter Green who played with John Mayall and Fleetwood Mac. The word genius is banded about too readily, but it fits him. A bluesman that the likes of BB King said his notes gave him the cold sweats. How did a self taught kid from a council house write Albatross? That's not even my favourite.  He spent a lot of his life locked up in asylums after a bad LSD trip but was released and formed a new band. I was determined to go and see him but sadly he died before I got round to it.

4 hours ago, Bakerboy said:

Fckn hell was only this morning reading an article about Peter Green, I never appreciated the brilliant guitarists from back then but getting into them as I get older

Watched a YouTube vid , about a week ago, about John Mayall, and Peter Green was mentioned.

Very interesting vid.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, shaaark said:

Watched a YouTube vid , about a week ago, about John Mayall, and Peter Green was mentioned.

Very interesting vid.

Both dead now unfortunately.  Neither chased money. They just loved that style of music. Peter Green started Fleetwood  Mac but he was quite happy to have the band named after the drummer. He had no ego. He just wanted to play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1