Just made myself a liter of sloe gin with a few strawberries in. Rushed it through the nutribullet combo. Smash all the seeds up inside the sloe berries to let out the goodness. I've been told not to put sugar in till two weeks time. A don't know why he just said leave the sugar out. Give it till mid December then run it through a cloth.  It's not for me it's for my sister & mother or an our lass. I'm knocking a few more up over the weekend. Rhubarb & ginger that only takes a few weeks but they say longer you leave it better it will be. Just the thought instead of buying presents in. 

20240822_145046.jpg

• Like 1

Well my friend, you have been misinformed. Sloes are pricked to release the juices which incidentally takes for hours. They then have the joy of sugar and a time frame of months  and months before drinking. I personally have Sloe Gin , unopened, from 2014. ,the idea of introducing strawberries is mad. Do a strawberry vodka instead.. OMO.jok.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, jok said:

Well my friend, you have been misinformed. Sloes are pricked to release the juices which incidentally takes for hours. They then have the joy of sugar and a time frame of months  and months before drinking. I personally have Sloe Gin , unopened, from 2014. ,the idea of introducing strawberries is mad. Do a strawberry vodka instead.. OMO.jok.

Agreed 👍

On 22/08/2024 at 14:56, Bangersanmash said:

Smash all the seeds up inside the sloe berries to let out the goodness. /It's not for me it's for my sister & mother or an our lass. I'm kn"

20240822_145046.jpg

Eek😱!

Don't you like your family?

Smashing-up the stones doesn't  release goodness. 

It releases cyanide !

• Like 1
On 22/08/2024 at 15:15, jok said:

A don't think it matters my brother made some last year that's who told me to run them through the nutribullet combo. The juices will be released either way. More so crushed into small particles. Then run through the muslin cloth end of December. Just done the rhubarb with stem ginger yesterday. A don't know how anyone can drink gin. A tried it yesterday taste f***ing rank lol. 

16 hours ago, Bangersanmash said:

Says it release like an almond taste.

Screenshot_20240825_164451_Chrome.jpg

You would only need to crush a a very small number of the stones to get a subtle almond taste . Not every stone in the batch! 

The usual proportions are roughly    2 pints of  gin to 2 pounds of sloes. Some recipes do include  just a couple of crushed  almonds for added taste.  A lot of people don't  see the need.

The stones of 2lb of sloes chopped to bits and dunked in alcohol are going to release a lot of acid.  It probably  won't produce fatal levels of cyanide but might well be unpleasantly  bitter .

Allowing the neat  gin  to absorb flavour from the  sloes for   a couple of weeks before adding sugar has an  advantage .   It's easier then to  gauge just how much sugar is needed for your own taste .

Having said that; I'm with you "Bangers" when it comes to thinking gin is horrid stuff!

Sloe vodka or rum is far more interesting .  And for variety replace a bit of the sugar with  a few   boiled sweets like barley  sugars ,humbugs  or toffee.

👍

• Like 1
23 hours ago, comanche said:

You would only need to crush a a very small number of the stones to get a subtle almond taste . Not every stone in the batch! 

The usual proportions are roughly    2 pints of  gin to 2 pounds of sloes. Some recipes do include  just a couple of crushed  almonds for added taste.  A lot of people don't  see the need.

The stones of 2lb of sloes chopped to bits and dunked in alcohol are going to release a lot of acid.  It probably  won't produce fatal levels of cyanide but might well be unpleasantly  bitter .

Allowing the neat  gin  to absorb flavour from the  sloes for   a couple of weeks before adding sugar has an  advantage .   It's easier then to  gauge just how much sugar is needed for your own taste .

Having said that; I'm with you "Bangers" when it comes to thinking gin is horrid stuff!

Sloe vodka or rum is far more interesting .  And for variety replace a bit of the sugar with  a few   boiled sweets like barley  sugars ,humbugs  or toffee.

👍

Cyanide ? Lol ffs am guna give my mother & sister this for Xmas lol 

23 hours ago, comanche said:

👍

Well I've just rang the misses up from work to say throw that gin I've made. Her words "  Why love " Because I've just tried killing ya old man & jo there lass , my mother , sister,  son , and last of all you pmsl. Her " what you mean lol. With cyanide in the sloe berry pips 🤣🤣 rushed up. Her " Or so a slow death of sloe gin. " cheers 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Bangersanmash said:

Well I've just rang the misses up from work to say throw that gin I've made. Her words "  Why love " Because I've just tried killing ya old man & jo there lass , my mother , sister,  son , and last of all you pmsl. Her " what you mean lol. With cyanide in the sloe berry pips 🤣🤣 rushed up. Her " Or so a slow death of sloe gin. " cheers 

Oh my heavens l feel guilty now ,  but l would probably have done the same .

I wasn't  trying to be clever though. Most fruit stones do honestly produce cyanide  . 

Still time to have another go with the gin before Christmas.

Good luck!

• Like 1