There's a difference between literal and figurative language.

When I was a kid my dad used to shout at us lads and issue the following threats. All northern working class dads did.

I'll skin yer alive.

I'll break every bone in your body.

I'll put my belt across your arse, buckle first.

I'll put my foot up your arse.

I'll murder yer, yer little shit.

Damn yer eyes.

I'll knock yer into the middle of next week!

And various other intentionally exaggerated threats that he had no intention of carrying out.  In truth, he occasionally clipped my ear, he once kicked me up the arse and there was a bit of handbags between us when I was a bolshy teenager. All perfectly normal for the times. We knew he was only the silver back gorilla beating his chest.

My point is people are being jailed for nonsense they write on social media or sounding off in public. There is a difference between what people say or write and what they literally mean. But the legislation does not recognise this.

Again if a journalist libels an individual. It is the publication he/she writes for which is punished with a  substantial fine.

How come social media is any different? I'm not on X formerly Twitter, but why should Musk and others get away with publishing content which falls fouls foul of the law when newspapers are fined big bucks?

I have no sympathy for those who carried out acts of violence and arson  during the recent riots. But I have a lot of sympathy for those who have ended up in jail as a result of their content on social media or what they said in the heat of the moment. There's a big difference between an individual who plans a race war and / or cynically incites others to act illegally and an individual who utters a threat in the heat of the moment and who has no intention of carrying out that threat. 

It's common sense.

P.S. on a point of humour. I came from a BIG family and we lads used to sleep in a series of bunk beds. One night I was fast asleep when the old man came in and clipped my ear. One of my brothers had been deliberately making a noise which had prevented the rest of the house from sleeping but he mistakenly clipped the wrong lad. I promptly leaped out of bed and fell from the top bunk onto my nose which exploded with blood. My mother came into the bedroom, physically attacked my dad and verbally threatened him with every sadistic punishment known to man. Should she have been jailed? Really?

I subsequently had a most enjoyable week playing the injured innocent. Happy days.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 1

I think that there been punished  by a corupt  and  frightened  government to the  max to nip this in the  bud ,nothing  they  do or threthen  can  justify  their  actions  but if the powers that be don't act  the way they have then civil  war would  ensue

There is no “context” in so called “hate crime”…….that was a ruling by a judge in the case when they fined that YouTube bloke years ago for getting his dog to do hitler salutes !! 

So, in law, context don’t matter according to the government……a very handy thing for them Im sure 

2 minutes ago, WILF said:

There is no “context” in so called “hate crime”…….that was a ruling by a judge in the case when they fined that YouTube bloke years ago for getting his dog to do hitler salutes !! 

So, in law, context don’t matter according to the government……a very handy thing for them Im sure 

I didn't know that. I'm struggling.

Context matters!

2 hours ago, jukel123 said:

When I was a kid my dad used to shout at us lads and issue the following threats. All northern working class dads did.

I'll skin yer alive.

I'll break every bone in your body.

I'll put my belt across your arse, buckle first.

I'll put my foot up your arse.

I'll murder yer, yer little shit.

Damn yer eyes.

I'll knock yer into the middle of next week!

And various other intentionally exaggerated threats that he had no intention of carrying out.  In truth, he occasionally clipped my ear, he once kicked me up the arse and there was a bit of handbags between us when I was a bolshy teenager. All perfectly normal for the times. We knew he was only the silver back gorilla beating his chest.

My point is people are being jailed for nonsense they write on social media or sounding off in public. There is a difference between what people say or write and what they literally mean. But the legislation does not recognise this.

Again if a journalist libels an individual. It is the publication he/she writes for which is punished with a  substantial fine.

How come social media is any different? I'm not on X formerly Twitter, but why should Musk and others get away with publishing content which falls fouls foul of the law when newspapers are fined big bucks?

I have no sympathy for those who carried out acts of violence and arson  during the recent riots. But I have a lot of sympathy for those who have ended up in jail as a result of their content on social media or what they said in the heat of the moment. There's a big difference between an individual who plans a race war and / or cynically incites others to act illegally and an individual who utters a threat in the heat of the moment and who has no intention of carrying out that threat. 

It's common sense.

P.S. on a point of humour. I came from a BIG family and we lads used to sleep in a series of bunk beds. One night I was fast asleep when the old man came in and clipped my ear. One of my brothers had been deliberately making a noise which had prevented the rest of the house from sleeping but he mistakenly clipped the wrong lad. I promptly leaped out of bed and fell from the top bunk onto my nose which exploded with blood. My mother came into the bedroom, physically attacked my dad and verbally threatened him with every sadistic punishment known to man. Should she have been jailed? Really?

I subsequently had a most enjoyable week playing the injured innocent. Happy days.

I wish my old man was as lenient as yours,!!  😔

And he's a southern c**t!!

Edited by shaaark
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, jukel123 said:

I didn't know that. I'm struggling.

Context matters!

Not to the British government it don’t !…….so your old man saying “I’ll kill you ya little f****r” is literally a threat to kill and taken as you, “the victim” !!, are genuinely scared you will be killed at some undefined point in time !! 

• Confused 1

Misogyny is now being assessed by Labour to be be classed the same as terrorism.

So, “reductio ad absurdum”, wolf whistling at a woman could be classed as the same as blowing up a stadium full of school kids !

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
7 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Misogyny is now being assessed by Labour to be be classed the same as terrorism.

So, “reductio ad absurdum”, wolf whistling at a woman could be classed as the same as blowing up a stadium full of school kids !

Cheers.

Misogyny laws going to apply to the groups that see women as second class citizens, force them to wear certain clothes etc or just us?

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, oxo said:

Misogyny laws going to apply to the groups that see women as second class citizens, force them to wear certain clothes etc or just us?

What do you think ?……lol 

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, WILF said:

What do you think ?……lol 

You never know, Starmer might suprise us all and it could be aimed against Muslims and their treatment of women.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Pewit said:

You never know, Starmer might suprise us all and it could be aimed against Muslims and their treatment of women.

Yeah, and I can run the 100m in 11 seconds ! Lol 

• Haha 3

Surely the whole point of Twitter/X is that it creates a platform for everyone/anyone to air their opinions. Once you censor those opinions, like they did with Trump, it just becomes a propaganda machine for one ideology or side of the political debate. These outlets are the new political battlefields and there’s no Geneva convention on ‘fair play’. Where has the truth gone?