Salukibullgrey

3 hours ago, Pewit said:

And I think a lot of it is down to the fact that many of the folk couldn't teach themselves potty training! Lol

It always pays to put as much time and effort in to obedience as you can. Instinct is very real, but that's not an excuse to not bother IMO.

you need them

with manner but no coursing bred worth a wank is going to walk off the lead at your side lol it’s scanning will get scents quarter fields up it’s like it’s one purpose is to find something and kill it 

• Like 2

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Saluki bull grey dog

Few from over years ticked all the boxes all related 

This is the type of animal I'd have in mind with that cross, a beauty of a dog.  

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

you need them

with manner but no coursing bred worth a wank is going to walk off the lead at your side lol it’s scanning will get scents quarter fields up it’s like it’s one purpose is to find something and kill it 

Tbh mate i wouldn't expect a collie cross to stay by my side if it was on a scent.

50 minutes ago, Pewit said:

Tbh mate i wouldn't expect a collie cross to stay by my side if it was on a scent.

you can get away with it with a collie more mate but even a collie x worked a lot will not switch off as easily i wouldnt want it from any hunting dog i would kennel 

• Like 1

This little beddy type I had was one of the best for quartering a field;

7AD954E5-1943-41BF-A96A-26933EF5D024.jpeg.ad8f7860faf37017a039adff632357c3.jpeg

I could get on a bit of high ground and let her go and she would work a field and if there was a hare there, she would find it .

Cheers.

• Like 4
33 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

you can get away with it with a collie more mate but even a collie x worked a lot will not switch off as easily i wouldnt want it from any hunting dog i would kennel 

So only coursing bred  dogs don’t switch off when out ? 

57 minutes ago, Wales1234 said:

So only coursing bred  dogs don’t switch off when out ? 

Yes I heard you stand up the hill wi a loud hailer screaming instructions in Welsh so no fecker knows what your on wi 

1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

no plenty of types will be like it but most coursing breds will be 

No I dont agree with that to be fair . 

prey drive isn’t linked to intelligence . 

but it takes a type of dog less evolved to do things the top coursing dogs can. How many instances have you heard of dogs getting hare cast ? 

slipping, miss , then another gets up , then another , until the dogs in another county . Happens all the time . That prey drive , that hunting sense , that ability to work in an anaerobic state for longer than other breeds , comes at a cost . as Plummer would say it’s “intractability” the ability to be trained to standard most would accept. 

there will be stuff that will be as high a standard as a gundog 

there will be owners who can have pups doing all sorts . 

but the Sal grey type isn’t meant to be used like that . It’s the pinnacle of hundreds of generations . They don’t need to sit and stay 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

No I dont agree with that to be fair . 

prey drive isn’t linked to intelligence . 

but it takes a type of dog less evolved to do things the top coursing dogs can. How many instances have you heard of dogs getting hare cast ? 

slipping, miss , then another gets up , then another , until the dogs in another county . Happens all the time . That prey drive , that hunting sense , that ability to work in an anaerobic state for longer than other breeds , comes at a cost . as Plummer would say it’s “intractability” the ability to be trained to standard most would accept. 

there will be stuff that will be as high a standard as a gundog 

there will be owners who can have pups doing all sorts . 

but the Sal grey type isn’t meant to be used like that . It’s the pinnacle of hundreds of generations . They don’t need to sit and stay 

Free of the saluki taint

On 12/08/2024 at 20:57, mC HULL said:

i’m talking it been like a pet staff for listening doing as you want no hassle 

Don’t sound like my dog when he’s out , at home yeah 100% … but out on a mooch  ….. he’d dislocate fingers if you put him  on a slip lead . 

46 minutes ago, Franks dad said:

Don’t sound like my dog when he’s out , at home yeah 100% … but out on a mooch  ….. he’d dislocate fingers if you put him  on a slip lead . 

Fanny

On 14/08/2024 at 19:26, Franks dad said:

keen but has it out between thy ears 

40 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

keen but has it out between thy ears 

Surprisingly yeah , he can go from a knob ragging you about with his tug toy …. Or take him down the fields and there’s out the way I’m on a mission , and only interested in hunting  mode …. there is a tad of watered down saluki on his lurcher side after all . Probably why the twats recall is poo ! …. But yeah he’s got half a brain and kills incredibly clean and precise especially  considering how he steams in . Not chunks or teeth marks everywhere…. All past tense as after a few accidents/incidents  … he is now confined to a long lead at certain times of the year …. Strictly Bunnies only for stein of the Bert 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Franks dad said:

Surprisingly yeah , he can go from a knob ragging you about with his tug toy …. Or take him down the fields and there’s out the way I’m on a mission , and only interested in hunting  mode …. there is a tad of watered down saluki on his lurcher side after all . Probably why the twats recall is poo ! …. But yeah he’s got half a brain and kills incredibly clean and precise especially  considering how he steams in . Not chunks or teeth marks everywhere…. All past tense as after a few accidents/incidents  … he is now confined to a long lead at certain times of the year …. Strictly Bunnies only for stein of the Bert 

Allus operate within the law and Ware the 5th and u can't go wrang

• Haha 1