Football season 24/25

11 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

Fine margins and all that. So many different factors in play for a kid to progress making his living as a professional footballer. In my far less glamorous world see kids who fail in becoming sparks or plumbers. A lot easier to get back into it once you've experienced a bit of the real world in my world than in football of course, so many of the planets must be aligned for a career in football I would think. 

One of my brother in-laws was offered an apprenticeship with Blackburn Rovers, knocked it back on his dad's advice as Sunderland FC were interested, both Mackems. He missed out at Sunderland and Blackburn won the EPL about 5 year later 🙂 

This lad had a long career in football with Port Vale and then Southampton, last I heard he was coaching or scouting for a Premier club. His dad and two of his uncles were good footballers but because of the beer and tabs never got past Sunday League football.

Cheers.

• Like 2

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My nine year old grandson has just been accepted for a football academy in Saudi Arabia. His first competitive game his team won and he scored the winning goal and was “man of the match”; H

Bless you mate thankyou....yes their own son who was my best pal as kids he died when we was in our late teens and i kind of became a replacement son i suppose,which was handy really as i never got on

Rest in peace old Sven, the man was balls deep in Ulrika Johnson and coaching some of the best players in the world, out at all the best restaurants every evening, then was with some Italian bird that

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

This lad had a long career in football with Port Vale and then Southampton, last I heard he was coaching or scouting for a Premier club. His dad and two of his uncles were good footballers but because of the beer and tabs never got past Sunday League football.

Cheers.

My brother in-law served his time as a shipwright in the yards, at the when time the yards were being closed. Played for Gateshead FC semi-pro for most of his playing career. Damned good left side defender, played against Newcastle in few pre-season friendlies and always threatened, to me, that he would take our star players out for the season, including Shearer one time. He did not do that of course, but more than held his own, in the 1st half. 

• Like 1

There was a third Charlton brother who was reputed to be better than Bobby.

But his psyche reckoned his brothers had done it all so he basically thought  'meh' and never played professionally. So the story goes. The truth may be different.

Actually he may have saved himself from dementia...heading those old, mud_ caked 'caseys'.

• Like 1

Young lad, distantly related to me , signed a pro deal not long ago , couldn’t stay out of the boozer , now out on loan to a non league side , will drift away .

the lad I car share with played to a very good level , was in the same team as a young kid from his estate . Never went out, acted sensibly, acted accordingly . 
Has been at a premier league side , dropped down a division and is now attracting more attention from premier league teams . 

the winning is done in those fine fine margins 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

But his psyche reckoned his brothers had done it all so he basically thought  'meh' and never played professionally. So the story goes. The truth may be different.

Actually he may have saved himself from dementia...heading those old, mud_ caked 'caseys'.

Not sure if dementia rears it's ugly head and takes a grip through heading a ball. And don't get me started on Alzheimer's.

Just now, eastcoast said:

Not sure if dementia rears it's ugly head and takes a grip through heading a ball. And don't get me started on Alzheimer's.

Don't get me started on Alzheimer's.

1 minute ago, eastcoast said:

is this our house?

Yes, remember you signed it over to me? Unfortunately the ink has faded. Just sign it again and I'll get you a lollipop.

Talking about heavy balls which we weren't. Modern balls are like balloons. So many shots sail over the ball. The game would be improved if they were heavier.

I've bombarded FIFA with letters. But the b*****ds threatened to take out an injunction against me. I was only trying to help and that's the thanks you get....Joke!

Edited by jukel123
17 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Young lad, distantly related to me , signed a pro deal not long ago , couldn’t stay out of the boozer , now out on loan to a non league side , will drift away .

the lad I car share with played to a very good level , was in the same team as a young kid from his estate . Never went out, acted sensibly, acted accordingly . 
Has been at a premier league side , dropped down a division and is now attracting more attention from premier league teams . 

the winning is done in those fine fine margins 

There was a kid at Man U who Fergie rated as the best he'd seen at that age.

Unfortunately couldn't throw off a troubled, f****d up childhood. Ended up doing low life stuff.

Ended up at West Ham where that sort of thing is normal. f****d his chance up there as well. Ravel Morrison.

28 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Tom Charlton. He had racing whippets. I raced my dogs against his at places like Hirst Park in Ashington and The Rising Sun at Wallsend late 60’s early 70’s.

Cheers.

2 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Tom Charlton. He had racing whippets. I raced my dogs against his at places like Hirst Park in Ashington and The Rising Sun at Wallsend late 60’s early 70’s.

Cheers.

Was he a top notch footballer as the story goes?

Just now, jukel123 said:

Was he a top notch footballer as the story goes?

Don’t think so, but I didn’t know him well.

Just an aside, a great pal of mine married Jackie Milburns daughter and he said every one of the Milburns and Charltons hated him and completely ignored him when he was in their homes. The marriage didn’t last long !

Cheers