Football season 24/25

2 hours ago, jukel123 said:

I've always been convinced a lot of top players are filtered out of the system. Every box must be ticked to progress.

Example. A mate of mine had a son who was courted by several top clubs. But, at the end of the day, he couldn't take the pressure and wasn't enjoying it. Training, being bollocked, being away from home, all took their toll.

So with his dad's blessing, he became a PE teacher. I met him in Madrid where now works about twenty years later. Really happy and convinced he made the right decision. He said it was great that all that manic pressure had gone.

He said there were several lads better than him in the same boat. A lot couldn't handle mad dads roaring at them. He said one black lad crumpled when he was both racially abused by an onlooker and publicly criticised by his dad within minutes. Jacked and went home on the train rather than travel in the family car with his dad. Never went back.

There's a lot of wastage in the recruitment of young footballers. Some of it necessary, some of it could be improved.

Personally, I think it's a sin to bollock a kid when playing football. When it's a dad doing it, it says a lot about the dad's hang ups.

Same as dads who insist their kids become tough. Shows inadequacy on the father's part.

1 hour ago, eastcoast said:

Fine margins and all that. So many different factors in play for a kid to progress making his living as a professional footballer. In my far less glamorous world see kids who fail in becoming sparks or plumbers. A lot easier to get back into it once you've experienced a bit of the real world in my world than in football of course, so many of the planets must be aligned for a career in football I would think. 

One of my brother in-laws was offered an apprenticeship with Blackburn Rovers, knocked it back on his dad's advice as Sunderland FC were interested, both Mackems. He missed out at Sunderland and Blackburn won the EPL about 5 year later 🙂 

I’ve always believed one of the very best things about football (or any proper sport I suppose) is that it teaches you great life lessons….it really is survival of the fittest both mentally and physically.

Im not talking about screaming in young lads faces but a gradual increase of responsibility and accountability, effort = reward, dealing with adversity, being able to take it on the chin when someone calls you out for not doing your job and reacting in a positive way to achieve better outcomes for yourself, pushing yourself when you think you can’t give any more…….all these things will be required at some point in your life.

Some can’t hack that, it’s no reflection on them but it’s just consigns them to whatever their level is in life….they find a happy place purely because they experienced that adversity.

Nothing wrong with testing people in the right way, especially young lads…..they may thank you for it down the line even if they hate the bloke that gave them the lesson…..my experience is most dont, they grow as men and can see the benefit themselves. 

• Like 1

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My nine year old grandson has just been accepted for a football academy in Saudi Arabia. His first competitive game his team won and he scored the winning goal and was “man of the match”; H

Bless you mate thankyou....yes their own son who was my best pal as kids he died when we was in our late teens and i kind of became a replacement son i suppose,which was handy really as i never got on

Rest in peace old Sven, the man was balls deep in Ulrika Johnson and coaching some of the best players in the world, out at all the best restaurants every evening, then was with some Italian bird that

Posted Images

1 minute ago, WILF said:

I’ve always believed one of the very best things about football (or any proper sport I suppose) is that it teaches you great life lessons….it really is survival of the fittest both mentally and physically.

Im not talking about screaming in young lads faces but a gradual increase of responsibility and accountability, effort = reward, dealing with adversity, being able to take it on the chin when someone calls you out for not doing your job and reacting in a positive way to achieve better outcomes for yourself, pushing yourself when you think you can’t give any more…….all these things will be required at some point in your life.

Some can’t hack that, it’s no reflection on them but it’s just consigns them to whatever their level is in life….they find a happy place purely because they experienced that adversity.

Nothing wrong with testing people in the right way, especially young lads…..they may thank you for it down the line even if they hate the bloke that gave them the lesson…..my experience is most dont, they grow as men and can see the benefit themselves. 

Fair comment.

• Like 1

Not quite the same as some of you but, a mate of mine could of played at a very high level of rugby union, football or been a very good medium distance runner had the talent and mental ability....he was also very very intelligent. Without a second thought he chose Oxford Uni in front of sport. He has done very well in life. 

• Like 1

My man has Alzheimer's. Dad had dementia + other shit. If they both had the same things it would not be so bad. The hearbreaking thing is to see dad with no compassion towards mam's condition, becuase of his dementia. Because he is no longer himself. No longer the loving husband and great dad that he was for most of his life. Sometimes the people in the care home and so called mental health experts need reminded of this.

Not the place to write about this but jukel123 started it 🙂 

is this our house?

• Sad 2
3 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Don’t think so, but I didn’t know him well.

Just an aside, a great pal of mine married Jackie Milburns daughter and he said every one of the Milburns and Charltons hated him and completely ignored him when he was in their homes. The marriage didn’t last long !

Cheers

The Milburns could have made a fortune selling their semen.  What a family. Can see every Geordie team with Milburn clone lookalikes murdering the opposition.

2 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

My man has Alzheimer's. Dad had dementia + other shit. If they both had the same things it would not be so bad. The hearbreaking thing is to see dad with no compassion towards mam's condition, becuase of his dementia. Because he is no longer himself. No longer the loving husband and great dad that he was for most of his life. Sometimes the people in the care home and so called mental health experts need reminded of this.

Not the place to write about this but jukel123 started it 🙂 

is this our house?

God, that brought the humour to a stop.

Tragic mate.

1 minute ago, Aled said:

Not quite the same as some of you but, a mate of mine could of played at a very high level of rugby union, football or been a very good medium distance runner had the talent and mental ability....he was also very very intelligent. Without a second thought he chose Oxford Uni in front of sport. He has done very well in life. 

You can say that again ! Lol 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, WILF said:

You can say that again ! Lol 

Nice one Wilf, however One thing though i could not understand about him was why he never played amateur sport, because he would of been welcomed at amateur clubs with open arms, and we know physical activity is good for you! 

• Like 1

My nine year old grandson has just been accepted for a football academy in Saudi Arabia. His first competitive game his team won and he scored the winning goal and was “man of the match”;

2D912EF6-E765-4BBC-A72F-19352A05A82A.jpeg.968a65ccd622ae970a6d310bd38e1c9b.jpeg

He insists he will play for Real Madrid one day but I said he should be aiming higher than that and I’d arrange a trial with Newcastle for him ! LOL !

Cheers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
32 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

My nine year old grandson has just been accepted for a football academy in Saudi Arabia. His first competitive game his team won and he scored the winning goal and was “man of the match”;

He insists he will play for Real Madrid one day but I said he should be aiming higher than that and I’d arrange a trial with Newcastle for him ! LOL !

Cheers.

Great stuff mate 

2 minutes ago, WILF said:

Great stuff mate 

He also won “Player of the Week” at a coaching course here last year;

2017A4B0-F4BC-4C66-B98D-9DE2B592DBFF.jpeg.d7404abcbaccc574900dc99a8be0ca32.jpeg

Hopefully the next time he is sitting here he’ll be signing his first contract for Newcastle ! LOL !

709C3D3F-0C40-43E5-8538-BD875C1836C3.jpeg.69d79da48996de92d410b1006ae40bcd.jpeg

Cheers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, jukel123 said:

There was a kid at Man U who Fergie rated as the best he'd seen at that age.

Unfortunately couldn't throw off a troubled, f****d up childhood. Ended up doing low life stuff.

Ended up at West Ham where that sort of thing is normal. f****d his chance up there as well. Ravel Morrison.

Prick !

48 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

You just be very proud of that handsome young man Rich ,why aim for the nufc s or crappy  madrids one day be could be good enough for Sunderland ,the sky's the limit .

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Astanley said:

You just be very proud of that handsome young man Rich ,why aim for the nufc s or crappy  madrids one day be could be good enough for Sunderland ,the sky's the limit .

Reminds me of the joke about the Geordie bloke who’s wife said to him as he was leaving the house to go to the match “I’m sure you think more of Newcastle than you do of me ! “

He replied “ I think more of bloody Sunderland than I do of you !”.

Cheers.

• Haha 1