Football season 24/25

5 hours ago, WILF said:

Do you think City are top entertainment though mate ?…..is it not a bit same old, same old now?

Like a nice car, it’s nice for a while but then it’s as boring as every other car.

I wonder if people will look back with the same fondness on this city team like they do the swashbuckling Manchester United of the golden Fergie years, or Wengers Invincible's or even your very own Newcastle with Ginola etc etc back in the day ?……even today, in Europe Real Madrid would be way better to watch than city imho…..to be fair, for me, Brentford would be more entertaining.

There’s just f**k all soul in City, we all know what it is, and yes it’s great to watch Foden and Silva and Harland but it still will never, ever be Manchester United or Arsenal…..it won’t even be Newcastle or even my own little Hammers.

They can buy everything but they can’t buy that. 

My thoughts exactly mate.. City are probably the most drilled side we've ever seen, everything is straight off the training ground and executed perfectly on the pitch....but... I find them boring to watch, and have said the same for quite a few seasons now. No doubt Pep is an all time great, but I'm with you, the sheer pace and direct football of those UTD sides and Keegans Newcastle were so much easier on the eye imo..

• Like 2

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My nine year old grandson has just been accepted for a football academy in Saudi Arabia. His first competitive game his team won and he scored the winning goal and was “man of the match”; H

Bless you mate thankyou....yes their own son who was my best pal as kids he died when we was in our late teens and i kind of became a replacement son i suppose,which was handy really as i never got on

Rest in peace old Sven, the man was balls deep in Ulrika Johnson and coaching some of the best players in the world, out at all the best restaurants every evening, then was with some Italian bird that

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Yes agreed, but that's not my point. When Man U buy players the price super inflates  because it's moneybags Utd with the cheque book. Similarly, we sell players at huge losses and FFP has exaggerated this trend. The new management team was brought in to to bring an end to this self destructive  tendency. Ratcliffe has stated several times that basically Man U is not Santa anymore. So I am very disappointed to see Wan Bissaka to leave at that price.

Ten Haag has now assembled Ajax old boys: Onana, Martinez, De Ligt,Mazroui and Anthony. Can you recreate a successful Eridivise team and expect it to be as good or better in the Premier league? Obviously I hope so. But I'm not sure that's the way forward.

I think your right mate, Bissaka was never a £50m plus player, he's not a bad player, in fact he's a very good defender, but he looks scared to death when he's got the ball in any space... it is a great signing for the Hammers at that price though...and yes, UTD shafted again! 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I think your right mate, Bissaka was never a £50m plus player, he's not a bad player, in fact he's a very good defender, but he looks scared to death when he's got the ball in any space... it is a great signing for the Hammers at that price though...and yes, UTD shafted again! 

That's right when he's got the ball in space he looks bewildered and his distribution can then be dodgy. But when he's concentrating on the ball at an opposing player's feet he's super quick and his timing is generally impeccable. I'm sorry to see him go. He's a great squad player.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NEWKID said:

My thoughts exactly mate.. City are probably the most drilled side we've ever seen, everything is straight off the training ground and executed perfectly on the pitch....but... I find them boring to watch, and have said the same for quite a few seasons now. No doubt Pep is an all time great, but I'm with you, the sheer pace and direct football of those UTD sides and Keegans Newcastle were so much easier on the eye imo..

There’s very little excitement with watching city I find

genuinely hard to watch at times 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jukel123 said:

Yes agreed, but that's not my point. When Man U buy players the price super inflates  because it's moneybags Utd with the cheque book. Similarly, we sell players at huge losses and FFP has exaggerated this trend. The new management team was brought in to to bring an end to this self destructive  tendency. Ratcliffe has stated several times that basically Man U is not Santa anymore. So I am very disappointed to see Wan Bissaka to leave at that price.

Ten Haag has now assembled Ajax old boys: Onana, Martinez, De Ligt,Mazroui and Anthony. Can you recreate a successful Eridivise team and expect it to be as good or better in the Premier league? Obviously I hope so. But I'm not sure that's the way forward. The Dutch league is nowhere need the standard of the Premier league, the Bundesliga, La Liga and several others. But here's hoping ....

In fairness, the technical approach to football coaching and the UEFA licenses were spawned in Holland….Ajax, PSV…..the world looked at how they were doing it and copied them.

Even La Masia don’t exist as we know it without Cruyff.

Dutch players are technically speaking very, very astute.

Its drilled in from kids, good first touches, receiving on the correct foot, passing football….today, anything you are seeing in European leagues can be traced directly back to Holland.

Their domestic league may not be the best in the world, but they sure know how to produce players. 

Jmho 

6 hours ago, jukel123 said:

Ten Haag has now assembled Ajax old boys: Onana, Martinez, De Ligt,Mazroui and Anthony. Can you recreate a successful Eridivise team and expect it to be as good or better in the Premier league? Obviously I hope so. But I'm not sure that's the way forward. The Dutch league is nowhere need the standard of the Premier league, the Bundesliga, La Liga and several others. But here's hoping ....

If I was to gamble , de ligt , having won the title in Holland , Italy and Germany and being VVD defensive partner for the Dutch national team , and was voted best u21 player In the world , I would wager there are some very disappointed clubs around Europe. 

one of the most astute signings seen this close season, new captain I would say . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

If I was to gamble , de ligt , having won the title in Holland , Italy and Germany and being VVD defensive partner for the Dutch national team , and was voted best u21 player In the world , I would wager there are some very disappointed clubs around Europe. 

one of the most astute signings seen this close season, new captain I would say . 

Hope you are right, both Ferdinand and Scholes are saying DeLigt is  very injury prone and cannot get into the Bayern Munich team. However, I guess the new recruitment team  at Man U know what they are doing. Scholes has become an embittered old man moaning that ' fings ain't what they used to be'. Here's hoping he's a success.

4 hours ago, Pewit said:

Leeds are looking promising this season, embarrassing team! 

Genuine question 

why do you only ever seen Leeds United  badges in those whole rear windscreen stickers in cars ? 

it’s a proper Leeds thing ain’t it 

IMG_6783.jpeg

6 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Genuine question 

why do you only ever seen Leeds United  badges in those whole rear windscreen stickers in cars ? 

it’s a proper Leeds thing ain’t it 

IMG_6783.jpeg

I think the fans know the teams expectations & capabilities. Lol

On 14/08/2024 at 07:23, NEWKID said:

I find them boring to watch, and have said the same for quite a few seasons now. No doubt Pep is an all time great, but I'm with you, the sheer pace and direct football of those UTD sides and Keegans Newcastle were so much easier on the eye imo..

I remember watching Pep’s Barcelona side demolish Real in 2010 and turning to my mate and saying that they should show this game to every kid that ever wants to kick a ball as the blue print of how the game should be played. The way that team would retain and shift the ball, setting traps and slicing through defences, seemingly at will was an absolute joy to watch. Thing is that team (& Pep) has to an extent revolutionised the modern game, with teams setting up to try and dominate the ball, and probably becoming ‘risk averse’ as a result…, but without a fraction of the quality that Barca team had. I find myself watching less and less of the Prem now. I find a lot of games turn into attritional tactical affairs played in the middle third…, bores me to tears, and probably stifles the expression of the player’s talent to an extent. Give me two 4-4-2’s and an end-to-end battle like we had in the 90’s every day of the week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
12 minutes ago, pesky1972 said:

I remember watching Pep’s Barcelona side demolish Real in 2010 and turning to my mate and saying that they should show this game to every kid that ever wants to kick a ball as the blue print of how the game should be played. The way that team would retain and shift the ball, setting traps and slicing through defences, seemingly at will was an absolute joy to watch. Thing is that team (& Pep) has to an extent revolutionised the modern game, with teams setting up to try and dominate the ball, and probably becoming ‘risk averse’ as a result…, but without a fraction of the quality that Barca team had. I find myself watching less and less of the Prem now. I find a lot of games turn into attritional tactical affairs played in the middle third…, bores me to tears, and probably stifles the expression of the player’s talent to an extent. Give me two 4-4-2’s and an end-to-end battle like we had in the 90’s every day of the week. 

I guess a lot of professional sportsmen have become just too good. A tennis match now comes down to the number of Aces scored instead of the edge_ of_ seat rallies. Snooker players have become robotic machines. Much more fun when Alex Higgins was smashing balls, having meltdowns and threatening opponents. Even boxing, my favourite sport has become boringly predictable. You can generally tell within the first round who is going to win and who is the fall guy. Many fans are now watching amateur sport...much more interesting and honest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, pesky1972 said:

Bang on mate.

The Euros were exactly that as well, every player now acts like a robot almost, it's so drilled and "perfect" it's lost its edge.

Or we are a bunch of boring old men with rose tinted glasses, one or the other! lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
41 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

I guess a lot of professional sportsmen have become just too good. A tennis match now comes down to the number of Aces scored instead of the edge_ of_ seat rallies. Snooker players have become robotic machines. Much more fun when Alex Higgins was smashing balls, having meltdowns and threatening opponents. Even boxing, my favourite sport has become boringly predictable. You can generally tell within the first round who is going to win and who is the fall guy. Many fans are now watching amateur sport...much more interesting and honest.

beat me to the robot analogy, I'd probably argue against the boxing to be honest, there are still some good fights and the "one punch can change it all" is still very much true. But agreed with the higher level of professionalism, the feeling of they are "one of us" a pint and a fag whilst playing snooker/darts and at half time in the changing rooms has certainly gone...boring fuckers! lol  

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

beat me to the robot analogy, I'd probably argue against the boxing to be honest, there are still some good fights and the "one punch can change it all" is still very much true. But agreed with the higher level of professionalism, the feeling of they are "one of us" a pint and a fag whilst playing snooker/darts and at half time in the changing rooms has certainly gone...boring fuckers! lol  

Big Bill Wobernieck drinking 30 pints a day at a world championships snooker tournament…..those were the days mate !

• Haha 2