What makes us British?

1 minute ago, Pewit said:

Lennox didn't know that one, he fought in the Olympics for Canada before turning pro has a Brit. Apparently there's a good documentary on Linford that's now on Netflix. You never hear of him after his drugs scandal, he was supposedly shafted or so it says on the documentary.

Canadians, Ozzies and Kiwis are just our colonial cousins , not those bloody Inuits, Abo’s and Māoris, of course !

( Just tongue in cheek lads ! ).

Cheers.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being British is about being able to have a long serious conversation with yourself under two different alias’s without feeling a total walloper you total walloper 

It's a broad question ,and I don't think there is a definitive answer . To dwell in these isles would be a start ,for how many generations would get many different answers  To buy into the G

This is where the water gets muddy, “English” is not as far as I’m aware an ethnic group, same as welsh, Irish, Scots etc…..those classifications are only about a thousand years old and, for want of a

Posted Images

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Canadians, Ozzies and Kiwis are just our colonial cousins , not those bloody Inuits, Abo’s and Māoris, of course !

( Just tongue in cheek lads ! ).

Cheers.

It's like a colour chart, you can see all the different colours but it's impossible to point out the exact spot where yellow becomes orange, where orange becomes red, etc. Trying to categorize the human race is very similar.

images (18).jpeg

Edited by Pewit
21 minutes ago, Pewit said:

Yep, and Daley was born & bred in England, he's British.

Lol I didn't say he's not BRITISH.

I said look him up, it says ENGLISH athlete, but with a NIGERIAN father and a SCOTTISH mother, he clearly isn't FAAACKIN ENGLISH!!! Lol

GREAT athlete, but he IS NOT ENGLISH.

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

What about big linford running for GB with a cucumber down his shorts, the man could polevault over the hurdles, but id say he was british, what about lennox lewis? How would yous class him?

Lennox Lewis I would class as one of the best heavyweights of all time. British,,Canadian, who cares. Not me. He gave a lot of entertainment.  Top, top athlete imo.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Pewit said:

Yep, and Daley was born & bred in England, he's British.

Of a Nigerian father, and a Scottish mother?

British, maybe?

English, NO!!!

6 minutes ago, Pewit said:

It's like a colour chart, you can see all the different colours but it's impossible to point out the exact spot where yellow becomes orange, where orange becomes red, etc.

I see prime numbers as blue, Fibonacci numbers as red, and numbers that are both prime and Fibonacci as purple, but I have to admit, you’ve got me beat with that post ! LOL !

Cheers.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Lol I didn't say he's not BRITISH.

I said look him up, it says ENGLISH athlete, but with a NIGERIAN father and a SCOTTISH mother, he clearly isn't FAAACKIN ENGLISH!!! Lol

GREAT athlete, but he IS NOT ENGLISH.

Citizenship does not label you as Scottish, English or Welsh, you are labelled as British, you are also a British national.

He is as English as Boris Johnson mate.

2 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Of a Nigerian father, and a Scottish mother?

British, maybe?

English, NO!!!

Ethnically speaking no, he's not English, but I'm not sure that's what you're refering to? 

Personally I think you should only 'dis' somebody unless you would be prepared to do it to their face. I dont think there's many people who would say to Daley Thompson, Lennox Lewis or John Conteh that because they possess varying degrees of tar brush that they are niggers or not british. Not would you call Mike Tyson or Danny Williams a f****n murdering muzzie to their faces. I detest road rage freaks for their amateur dramatics. Never met one who would stop their car and confront face to face. Maybe I've seem too many westerns.

• Like 1

With Sharks logic I can't even class myself as English, my mother's maiden name is Hayes. You horrible Irish b*****ds, can't believe I'm not English! 

8 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Personally I think you should only 'dis' somebody unless you would be prepared to do it to their face. I dont think there's many people who would say to Daley Thompson, Lennox Lewis or John Conteh that because they possess varying degrees of tar brush that they are niggers or not british. Not would you call Mike Tyson or Danny Williams a f****n murdering muzzie to their faces. I detest road rage freaks for their amateur dramatics. Never met one who would stop their car and confront face to face. Maybe I've seem too many westerns.

I’ve told this tale before. 
I was great friends with the double Olympic gold medal champion, record holder and American civil rights man Lee Evans.

We became pals when he was managing the Saudi Arabian Olympic team.

What we had in common was Range Rovers and Land Rovers.

Anyhow, I had his 50th birthday party at my house  and we were at one time at another party and a friend of his, an ex American football player who went by the nickname “The Refigerator” was also there, and I overheard him say to Lee; “ has your new white pal used the ‘N’ word yet ? “

Well, I was incensed and said to the guy “ I’m a Geordie, we don’t call you niggers, we call you darkies, and it isn’t an insult, just a description ! “ 

Well the place went deathly quiet and I honestly thought my end had come, but Lee burst out laughing , clapped us both on the back and ordered three more drinks ! 
The situation was defused and we all had a great night !

Just another reminisce from an old man …. 
Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think the context of your comments and the people around you counted for the situation chartpolski. I played for a rugby club in Cardiff, the clubs No 8 was gay, (and a good player) now his clubmates who had grown up with him could take the pi*s out of him, BUT if an opposition team member did, they faced the wrath of the entire team, the same went for our half Ethiopian 2nd row an our half Malaysian outside half! We stood together with our team mates big time. For us that was a Welsh rugby value, teams that sin together win together! 

• Like 1