Should extinct animals be brought back?

38 minutes ago, Pewit said:

Further reading clarifies what I thought, due to the degradation of DNA, scientists will never be able to recreate exact  replicas of extinct animals.

To me if it looks like a Mammoth walks like a Mammoth sounds like a Mammoth its a fckn Mammoth 😁

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Irish Elk….. Just to see who would be the first to claim their bull cross had taken one single handed ! LOL ! Seriously though, it wasn’t an elk and evidently it’s closest living r

I can't see the point of bringing back extinct animals, there is not enough pristine wilderness left for a lot of living species like the great apes and many other large animals. The oceans are pollut

Marty mchull

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Bakerboy said:

To me if it looks like a Mammoth walks like a Mammoth sounds like a Mammoth its a fckn Mammoth 😁

It'll be just a hairy elephant. 🔥

• Haha 1

Re-creating the old stamp working type Sealyham terrier would be an interesting project. A skilled breeder could have the newly created type breeding true in 4 generations. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

Re-creating the old stamp working type Sealyham terrier would be an interesting project. A skilled breeder could have the newly created type breeding true in 4 generations. 

You could do that through proper work & selection.

1 hour ago, Pewit said:

Further reading clarifies what I thought, due to the degradation of DNA, scientists will never be able to recreate exact  replicas of extinct animals.

True at this stage, but science always making breakthroughs, could end up with o e yet, science always contradicts itself

8 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

What do you think of the Sporting Lucas terrier ?

Used to see a few at shows years ago, don’t see them now.

Cheers.

6 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

True at this stage, but science always making breakthroughs, could end up with o e yet, science always contradicts itself

Who knows but you as far as we know you can't replicate what is lost, and sometimes those lost links are quite important. 

13 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

What do you think of the Sporting Lucas terrier ?

Used to see a few at shows years ago, don’t see them now.

Cheers.

Some genuine people got on board as far as I am aware but don't think progressed from a working point of view. See the occasional litter advertised on sites such as Pets4Homes, freakish looking things for £1000+ money. I was taking the piss, D B Plummer made the claim years ago as to how easy it would be to re-create the Sealyham. He maybe could have done, a very clever man by all accounts, but didn't. 

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

You sound like DBP

• Thanks 2
On 25/07/2024 at 20:08, dai dogs said:

I remember going to Cardiff museum on school trip seeing a taxidermy Tasmanian Tiger blew my mind 

Been to Cardiff museum many times, and that giant turtle is an absolute beast.

50 minutes ago, Pewit said:

Who knows but you as far as we know you can't replicate what is lost, and sometimes those lost links are quite important. 

Yes i know that, only God has the correct codes, where in the case of thylacine they can check multiple specimens and get a better match to the correct codes, the mammoth they hope to use the asian elephant but how close they get who knows? The dire wolf bones where found in the boneyard aswell as north american lions, how well preserved the dna is though is anyones guess, but 1 thing they were discussing was the mammoth meat they ate at bbqs,  there must be some well preserved carcasses around

23 hours ago, Lenmcharristar said:

With fish, id like to see the arctic charr restocked i to rivers all throughout the uk and ireland, they were here in abundance now extinct except for a few pockets of ancient lakes

there's some arctic char also known as torgoch in   llyn Padarn in north Wales near Llanberis