I had my bitch playing with a fox tail on a lunge whip as a pup , but similar breeding and found her very people oriented until she found far more exciting things...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The little fcker beat the terrier to it this evening, his first rat and he wasn't keen to let go! It's the first time I've seen him move in anything other than slow motion 😂

You want um doing heavy teeth be that age otherwise it's a 20 pencer 

you want your pup from ten week running about jumping ditches woods differnet land really 

Posted Images

On 23/07/2024 at 11:54, OldPhil said:

"Right there Fred".....👏

Personally,...I like my rabbit dogs on a warren as soon as they have had their Jabs,....lots to learn and so many events to experience...

Its a big old world out there for a young pup and the sooner he gets to learn and understand what the score is, the better. 

I like to keep a working dog for several years,..it is an investment and a valuable item, so its well worth putting some effort into early education.

Unless a fellow is an exceptionally interesting raconteur ,.it is unlikely that a puppy is hanging on your heels due to your sparking personality..

More likel;y,..it just lacks confidence,...🙄

The handler's task is to walk tall, be the man,.. let the tyke know that there is nothing to fear and everything to gain by getting into the hunt... 

My great pleasure is watching a youngster show some early promise , using his nose, twigging onto the game, and like myself, maybe sometimes just sitting quiet and simply watching.

Facts are,...some folk don't get the best out of a pup,...they maybe take things too seriously,...they just just don't understand the benefit of allowing a pup , to be a pup....

Easter Saturday 2006 (88).jpg

Spot on Phil, your right, OK I know it a pup, and dogs, are all different. And just look at any dog or pup, (body language). Some as been said will piss of once out of the kennel, some tail up, walking round like bullfighter, others, don't leave your side from the pics, he don't look like confident pup. But  bred for forthere all get there in the end, and what there for. My big dog Buck, is quite in kennel, none dog aggressive, had lot dogs over the years try to kick off on him, maybe it's his size don't know, he don't fight any of the other dogs, if did he would have wreaked most them if bite them. Like say friendly to people  not changed in  12 years from a pup. Little woody out on the walk, always walks behind me, me being close to 6ft don't see the fecker lot times lol, but at home he like  little jack the lad around my bungalow,. Dog just dumb animal, I think we read to much into them at times I know I have over  the 55 years round dogs. 

• Like 2

One way I've found of building confidence is to simply walk a dog in woodland with lots of intersecting paths. Rather than directing which route you'll take, let the dog decide. I know it sounds daft but I've used that method to instil confidence into several more sensitive or submissive dogs. 

I once had a collie x whippet I did this with. She was so stuck to me like glue that, although she was the most obedient dog I've ever had, it took ages to teach her a recall as she never left my side. I had to get somebody to take her off on a lead and let her off so she'd run back to me and become accustomed to her name.

• Thanks 1

Thanks both. I've had that exact situation with recall Neal. Because the bugger doesn't leave me, I've struggled to train recall with him the way I usually would. I'll give the woodland tip a go. I'm sure with some time and experience he we start changing. For now, I'll enjoy the puppy stage whilst it lasts 😂

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Pewit said:

Get it out with another dog, that should bring it out of it's shell.

Or make it worse, as a lot of older lurchers, especially some males, can be a tad too aggressive/full on with a pup as soon as they start running about.

Not saying this WILL happen, but it CAN.

45 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Or make it worse, as a lot of older lurchers, especially some males, can be a tad too aggressive/full on with a pup as soon as they start running about.

Not saying this WILL happen, but it CAN.

Obviously don't take it out with a full on dog pal.

• Like 1