7 minutes ago, WILF said:

Mate of mine runs several big truck dealerships and a couple of very big HGV repair firms, I know about 10 year back he told me they only make about £1500 on a brand new DAF XF sale but all the money is in the parts and R&M……over £100 million a year turnover so that’s a lot of parts and repairs !

that is crazy aint it 1500 profit on a tractor unit 

but millions in parts and been daf you’ll need plenty a them lol to be fair the daf dealership is we’re it was seems to always do well 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mind ask your mrs for permission first don't be getting ahead of yourself 

lol takes a certain kind of mincer to go electric i thought better of you pewit lol

A dpf isn't a filter as such, it's more like a catalytic converter for a diesel. Increase in fuel economy And performance.  

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

use to love messing with 2 strokes seeing what did what 

no dremel back then chart what did you use that was similar 

have to be carful how far you go don’t want the fuel air mixture pooling 

jet it better exhaust better reed valve 

kids dreams a made of lol 

when i was stripping engines replacing bearings etc me old lady would go fuvking mental when she come in i’ve got the  engine in. the oven lol bearings crank in the freezer she hated it 

I was an apprentice at a company called British Engines, I had every tool available in the machine shops
It was a great company for teaching apprentices, we had basic operational knowledge of every tool and machine, boring bars, lathes, grinders, millers, Welders, etc. We did metal spraying. 
This was before cnc machines and setting up a crankshaft in a lathe was a bit of an art. Obviously reading micrometers, vernier gauges, etc was second nature to us.

We went out to haulage companies to re-bore or change liners in situ on truck engines, went to shipyards to do on board ship work and sea trials.

I was lucky to have such a great apprenticeship to set me up for my career trajectory, ending up as an engineering supervisor at one of the worlds biggest airlines.

I allways seemed to be in the right place at the right time and have great bosses and employers.

Cheers.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, mC HULL said:

no flex the college i could not of gone and still passed everything i would a passed at 11 year old lol lol 

and the funniest thing is anyone reading about this that knows what there on about knows everything i said was on the money lol 

You're in the building game aren't you?

Did you quit mechanics after college or are you just recently into the building game?

50 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

back to the dpf  peewit are you still thinking of taking out lol 

f**k knows, let's see how long the thread keeps going first. Lol

20 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

that is crazy aint it 1500 profit on a tractor unit 

but millions in parts and been daf you’ll need plenty a them lol to be fair the daf dealership is we’re it was seems to always do well 

He has a few mate, DAF, Iveco, MAN…..I’m guessing it’s the same story across the board 

• Like 1
Just now, WILF said:

He has a few mate, DAF, Iveco, MAN…..I’m guessing it’s the same story across the board 

You make nothing from selling new trucks, we would tie them into £350 a week R+M contract which they couldn’t really get out of because they need it for the O license, all the dealers are just franchises so most of the big money comes from warranty work and MOT’s

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

You're in the building game aren't you?

Did you quit mechanics after college or are you just recently into the building game?

from young i have been around mechanics had motor cross bikes fixed cars me brother in law was mad for his peugeot gti xr2 i got my apprentership with him 

his dad had a building company so i spent time with him aswell building boarding plastering i couldn’t ever grasp the laying a bricks 

me other sisters bloke was contract manager at roofing firm so spent a lot a time holidays etc grafting up on the roofs 20 bar a day lol 

me other 2 sister blokes were wild i learnt differnet off them not to do with honest days work lol 

me peas dad had had a refrigeration company building coldstores spent time with him 

as a kid i had plenty a people trying to seeing me right 

after worked since school doing all above and still do have me little unit i’m always on something in or buying selling odd cars 

sometimes for a descent a chunk i’ll f**k off on coldstores with me pal for a few month 

always have bits on for people mates with company’s 

depending time a year and what i fancy what’s available i could be doing out mate 

apart from mechanics all the rest you have knowledge what goes we’re can work a tool and use a tape it’s all easy aint it apart from laying bricks lol

• Like 1

kids off so i’m at home most a the week ourlass been i’ll hopefully get this motorbike out shed and running 

he straight out to the dogs lol  E4B1D637-C2FD-45FE-B267-9F75A490E460.png.24640c123436ca01c33020cedaac5d7e.png

1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

I was an apprentice at a company called British Engines, I had every tool available in the machine shops
It was a great company for teaching apprentices, we had basic operational knowledge of every tool and machine, boring bars, lathes, grinders, millers, Welders, etc. We did metal spraying. 
This was before cnc machines and setting up a crankshaft in a lathe was a bit of an art. Obviously reading micrometers, vernier gauges, etc was second nature to us.

We went out to haulage companies to re-bore or change liners in situ on truck engines, went to shipyards to do on board ship work and sea trials.

I was lucky to have such a great apprenticeship to set me up for my career trajectory, ending up as an engineering supervisor at one of the worlds biggest airlines.

I allways seemed to be in the right place at the right time and have great bosses and employers.

Cheers.

sounds like a cracking job mate i love out like that rebuilding engines etc still do but today everything is just about throw away it needs a a head gasket doing most just swap the engine you need an oil pump scrap yard won’t sell one only full engines etc mechanics on cars now just swap out parts like for like at most places once you know we’re bolts are plugs pipes need to come off it’s repetitive aint it 

1 minute ago, mC HULL said:

lol takes a certain kind of mincer to go electric i thought better of you pewit lol

What a strange notion, especially considering that said electric cars would leave all diesels for dust, so tell me, what's so masculine about a slow diesel? Lol