Edited by mC HULL

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mind ask your mrs for permission first don't be getting ahead of yourself 

lol takes a certain kind of mincer to go electric i thought better of you pewit lol

A dpf isn't a filter as such, it's more like a catalytic converter for a diesel. Increase in fuel economy And performance.  

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

it is a filter it’s all it does ? 

doesn’t  do out to fuel economy performance it can because the quicker the gases are out the better 

3 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

and a dpf and a catalytic converter are completely different lol 

dpf filter traps spot  and particles 

catalytic converter converts  gases to less toxic like co2 lol

I made the statement about a dpf/catalytic converter so charts could get an image in his head of what one is/looks like and also so he was thinking it was like a paper element type filter... I explained it in layman's terms ..as not everyone has your superior knowledge on everything and anything, 

And yes a dpf does and will effect fuel economy as the more efficient your fuel is burnt and got rid off the better your engine will run hence a big daft dpf in the way makes your engine run less efficient 

• Like 1

I understand the importance of getting more fuel/air mixture into an engines and getting exhaust gasses out quicker. 
Many years ago, as an apprentice, I “blue printed” a Lambretta engine for use in scooter racing and sprinting.

I had a one off inlet manifold fabricated to accept a Wal Philipps fuel injector, opened up and polished the inlet, transfer and exhaust ports and fitted an Ancelloti exhaust , amongst other modifications.

It was completely intractable but went like the proverbial shit off a shovel.

This was long before the eco nonsense and all I wanted to know was what were the advantages/ disadvantages of having or removing the DPF valve in a modern Diesel engine .

Cheers.

970 fecking quid is what a dpf is in her bloody car and it was fine until we had to get the head gasket and a few other jobs done which cost me about 1800 fecking quid too. Bastarding car

10 minutes ago, Chid said:

I made the statement about a dpf/catalytic converter so charts could get an image in his head of what one is/looks like and also so he was thinking it was like a paper element type filter... I explained it in layman's terms ..as not everyone has your superior knowledge on everything and anything, 

And yes a dpf does and will effect fuel economy as the more efficient your fuel is burnt and got rid off the better your engine will run hence a big daft dpf in the way makes your engine run less efficient 

dpf isn’t doing anything to change how the. fuel is burnt or fuel air mixture that would be the lanmba sensor lol

yes if you wanted high performance you would do away with the dpf

1 hour ago, mC HULL said:

diesel particle filter to stop soot better emissions 

as chid says take inside out and  remap it 

I wouldn’t recommend smashing them out, on the first ones it wasn’t to bad and you could get away with it with a good remap, the newer ones are far more complicated, you have up stream and down stream NoX sensors, delta P, MH3, and more temp sensors than you can shake a stick at, that all have to be rewritten so the ecu sees what it expects to see 

people always think it’s a major problem when the DPF light comes on and take it to some back street garage who don’t know what they are doing, carry out a forced Re-gen and don’t cure the fault, then say the DPF is fu*ked when in fact the Delta P pipe is probably carboned up where they bend coming out of the DPF 

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Pewit said:

So don't get them blanked? Is all that an expensive do? Will a car fail it's MOT afterwards?

Got it done on a transit but my mate does test so it goes through to be honest van wasn't ever same since getting it done £400 it cost

16 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

the dpf is a filter like a paper type filter but made a metal precious metals not paper 

Paper fuel filter then a catalytic converter then a dpf .. which one does the dpf most look like ... I'll give you a clue it's not the feckin paper filter . I know they don't work the same but the dpf looks more like a cat .. hence using it as an examplefuel-filter-w-602000015p-500x500-removebg-preview.png.1fc0232052c8c34e5447e77b61d795e3.pngPot_catalytique_vue_de_la_structure-5c49fe4f46e0fb00013a938d.jpg.1420be0b86b0bdf56aca79c6ec14823f.jpgScreenshot_20240718-194013.jpg.c5d79c028bb4a34b806c808b37a1870a.jpg

• Like 1

I have no idea what you chaps are talking about ,but as the thread goes on it becomes obvious who actually knows what they are talking about and who is winging it ,trying to be relevant a bit sad really .

I don’t know what all the arguing is about :laugh:

Smashing out the dpf and mapping it out the ecu is done primarily to resolve or prevent dpf replacement due to blockage. Which costs a fortune.

Seems to occur less frequently than ad blue or egr issues and is more costly to do. Both of those can be done with just an ecu map in many instances.

8 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I don’t know what all the arguing is about :laugh:

Smashing out the dpf and mapping it out the ecu is done primarily to resolve or prevent dpf replacement due to blockage. Which costs a fortune.

Seems to occur less frequently than ad blue or egr issues and is more costly to do. Both of those can be done with just an ecu map in many instances.

and the best answer on the thread goes to born hunter it really is that simple 

1 hour ago, Stavross said:

I wouldn’t recommend smashing them out, on the first ones it wasn’t to bad and you could get away with it with a good remap, the newer ones are far more complicated, you have up stream and down stream NoX sensors, delta P, MH3, and more temp sensors than you can shake a stick at, that all have to be rewritten so the ecu sees what it expects to see 

people always think it’s a major problem when the DPF light comes on and take it to some back street garage who don’t know what they are doing, carry out a forced Re-gen and don’t cure the fault, then say the DPF is fu*ked when in fact the Delta P pipe is probably carboned up where they bend coming out of the DPF 

spot on mate good post 

any time you put a map on your car it needs to be a reliable source done right or it can cause serious problems 

• Like 2