Travel advice: Hampshire to Cumbria

Quick question: we're travelling up from South Hampshire to Appleby to visit my wife's family at the beginning of the school summer holiday. We've always previously gone via Oxford, A42, M6 etc but it's almost always static around Stoke-On-Trent. When I checked the route on aa route planner it also came up with an alternative route via the A3, M25, M1, A1(M) until Richmond and then head west.

Anybody know which of these two routes is most likely to be unblocked (or the least congested) on the average Friday? We need to stick to as many non-winding roads as possible as my daughter is a puker!🤢

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pewit said:

It can be bad going across the A66 as well on a Friday, better to go up Thursday evening if possible?

If Im ever travelling any distance I always go very early morning or travel through the night

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, it's impossible to go the day before as we're staying in a rented cottage and we can't leave early (our usual tactic) as my mother in law has Alzheimer's so my wife has to do one last shopping trip and visit on the morning we leave before the carers take over for the week.

I’m your man as that was my regular journey . 

id personally labour up the m6 way and slide over from Penrith as the traffic generally dies at Preston . I’d be up and on the road early doors or give consideration at batting up on the Thursday evening .got two trips of that left , hamps to Carlisle and back , then hamps to north yorks and back the next week . 

I really do enjoy the m6 / m42 junction when it’s raining , choked with traffic , no battery left on the phone  and two bored kids whilst my misses reads me out tik tik conspiracies as my my Apple Pay pings  with purchases from pretty little thing and boo hoo. 

character building 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
2 hours ago, Neal said:

Quick question: we're travelling up from South Hampshire to Appleby to visit my wife's family at the beginning of the school summer holiday. We've always previously gone via Oxford, A42, M6 etc but it's almost always static around Stoke-On-Trent. When I checked the route on aa route planner it also came up with an alternative route via the A3, M25, M1, A1(M) until Richmond and then head west.

Anybody know which of these two routes is most likely to be unblocked (or the least congested) on the average Friday? We need to stick to as many non-winding roads as possible as my daughter is a puker!🤢

Thanks in advance.

The a66 will be dead mind , a1 generally clear after top of Leeds 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Bakerboy said:

If Im ever travelling any distance I always go very early morning or travel through the night

I found that traveling from southampton to Anglesey to get the boat, far better traveling at midnight as nearly all the bloody motorways have traffic management on them at some point

• Like 1

I'd avoid M25 myself, see what satnav says as long as you're on your way well before lunch you've half a chance , I'm travelling west on M4 to a mates near Bristol and then on to Devon , took me 4.5 hrs last Friday for a 2.2 HR journey, Friday roads suck. May the force be with you.

• Like 1
On 18/07/2024 at 20:08, Daniel cain said:

Give a travel sickness tablet the night before...then one in the morning 👍

We've tried that, but didn't make any difference. The only things we've found that works 100% is if she travels in the front (wider field of view and all that jazz) and has her music on. Fine for me apart from I'm not looking forward to travelling from one end of the country with Taylor Swift all the way.🤣

I've been up m6 regularly these last few weeks ...up and down...joing at 15 which is the stoke on trent junction...its been fine mate no hassle...come off for Liverpool or preston....in the main no issues...

When I travel Appleby way it's always A1 A66...but I live close to A1...being just east of Nottingham....mind you there is a bridge repair on A1 just north of Doncaster and before the M62 junction that holds you up 10 mins or more depending on the time of day..

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, TOMO said:

I've been up m6 regularly these last few weeks ...up and down...joing at 15 which is the stoke on trent junction...its been fine mate no hassle...come off for Liverpool or preston....in the main no issues...

When I travel Appleby way it's always A1 A66...but I live close to A1...being just east of Nottingham....mind you there is a bridge repair on A1 just north of Doncaster and before the M62 junction that holds you up 10 mins or more depending on the time of day..

Tell me about that, I've been detouring that c**t for over a here, it's supposedly completed in August, I'll believe it when I see it, useless c**ts.