How long can a jill be pregnant?

Iv got a jill that’s pregnant and she’s on 43/44 days now this is her 1st litter she’s not massive but her nips are big and she looks like she’s ready drop.  she’s acting her normal self bar the occasional nip.  for the last 4 years my other 2 Jill’s have all dropped on 42 days without fail. Iv spoke to a couple of people and they have told me not be concerned until 45 days but that seams long to me I’ll take her to the vets 1st thing but just wondering has anyone else had a long pregnancy 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, green dragon said:

Iv got a jill that’s pregnant and she’s on 43/44 days now this is her 1st litter she’s not massive but her nips are big and she looks like she’s ready drop.  she’s acting her normal self bar the occasional nip.  for the last 4 years my other 2 Jill’s have all dropped on 42 days without fail. Iv spoke to a couple of people and they have told me not be concerned until 45 days but that seams long to me I’ll take her to the vets 1st thing but just wondering has anyone else had a long pregnancy 

Something worth considering is that even if you actually saw the hob and jill mating there is no certainty that she "took" on the first attempt ; so might not be overdue.

Ferret Jills need a bit of rough handling by the hob in order to release the eggs for fertilisation 

It might've  taken another try or two to get a successful result .

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, brambles said:

I'd say she'll pop very shortly, wouldn't waste my money on a vet, probably get a wee lassie who's scared o the fcukin thing

She looks very close so hopefully it will be tonight or tomorrow morning. But your right it’s always some younger who’s never seen a ferret  

8 minutes ago, comanche said:

Something worth considering is that even if you actually saw the hob and jill mating there is no certainty that she "took" on the first attempt ; so might not be overdue.

Ferret Jills need a bit of rough handling by the hob in order to release the eggs for fertilisation 

It might've  taken another try or two to get a successful result .

I only left her in there together for a few hrs they where definitely haveing a roll about I could hear that but ye I never actually seen them mating she looks pregnant big nips and heavy belly  so time will tell 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, green dragon said:

I only left her in there together for a few hrs they where definitely haveing a roll about I could hear that but ye I never actually seen them mating she looks pregnant big nips and heavy belly  so time will tell 

Hopefully you'll soon hear the patter of little feet.

If nothing happens though   , I wouldn't panic immediately . It's likely to be nothing more  than a false pregnancy.  They are common after unsuccessful matings and the jill will deflate and return to normal .

But don't let that stop you consulting a vet if you are worried 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, brambles said:

Any joy this morning mate

Nothing strange one she’s dosnt look uncomfortable and she’s just acting her normal self I’m starting to think it’s a phantom pregnancy Iv be en had one before and the hob is had allways produced kits so I duno what to do now 

1 hour ago, gnipper said:

Have you had a gentle feel for kits?

Ye mate and I can’t seem to feel anything she just feels fat but he stomach looks low if that makes sense rather than her just being fat and and there doesn’t seem to be any milk in her tits just swollen nip 

8 hours ago, comanche said:

Hopefully you'll soon hear the patter of little feet.

If nothing happens though   , I wouldn't panic immediately . It's likely to be nothing more  than a false pregnancy.  They are common after unsuccessful matings and the jill will deflate and return to normal .

But don't let that stop you consulting a vet if you are worried 

Hopefully but Iv had a feel of her stomach and can’t feel anything just feel fat/swollen and I can’t seen any milk in her tits. I’m starting to think she’s had a phantom pregnancy I only left her with hob for an hour mby 2 at the most I heard them rolling around but never saw them doing the deed 

2 hours ago, green dragon said:

Hopefully but Iv had a feel of her stomach and can’t feel anything just feel fat/swollen and I can’t seen any milk in her tits. I’m starting to think she’s had a phantom pregnancy I only left her with hob for an hour mby 2 at the most I heard them rolling around but never saw them doing the deed 

It's  a shame if you had set your heart on a litter and the mating didn't  work ,but no harm will come from a phantom pregnancy. Once the pregnancy hormones have run their normal 42ish  day course she might ,or might not , be a bit nippy or try to pull your  hand or other ferrets  into her nest as if they were escaped babies , but'll soon return to normal.20240715_194516.jpg.58448c18b6149c9a26bfb0a92430918b.jpg

At this late stage of real pregnancy she should be looking very sleek and  this sort of  shape rather than just fat with big teats. 

Edited by comanche
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, comanche said:

It's  a shame if you had set your heart on a litter and the mating didn't  work ,but no harm will come from a phantom pregnancy. Once the pregnancy hormones have run their normal 42ish  day course she might ,or might not , be a bit nippy or try to pull your  hand or other ferrets  into her nest as if they were escaped babies , but'll soon return to normal.20240715_194516.jpg.58448c18b6149c9a26bfb0a92430918b.jpg

At this late stage of real pregnancy she should be looking very sleek and  this sort of  shape rather than just fat with big teats. 

She looks like what’s  drawn in the picture she’s at 44 days now I’m not to fussed about the litter now more concerned for her health but I can’t feel any kits and she’s not producing milk Iv had a few of litters in the past and all droped on exactly 41days 

if the was any issue by 44 days I should be able to tell but she’s act completely normal bar being abit nippy 

Edited by green dragon