Whippet Dislocated Toe

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally,...I would always seek out a genuine Running Dog Vet.... They are out there,...but you might have to travel in order to find the right man... .. Such experienced and knowledgeable

🤔Don't be too eager to consider amputation of a toe...in some cases, there is no other option, and then you have to do what is best.. However,..by the looks of your dog's toes in your post, I fee

they would knock them out to worm them now ££

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

Ah yes indeed!

I could also claim to be the Burger King or other, but I digress 

Dai gress is a well known persona around here!!

The outside toe is a weight bearing toe apparently which makes sense so vets are reluctant to take them off. For a pet dog it’s not huge issue you would imagine. For a worker though who knows but you will find people who have had them off and fine and others where things have gone down hill. You got watch vets now a days they blatantly like to make money though there are some good ones. You sort of have to tell them what you want done. An X-ray takes lot of the guess work out but that’s no cheap exercise either now a days 

• Like 3

I've tried to get a second opinion from this guy:

He is suggesting the fixator and removal of the nail and saying that it works most of the time. Just waiting to see what he is charging. We did have an xray originally and it wasn't broken just dislocated. 

This is what he says about the fixator option:

The application of an external fixator across the joint, applied to either the top joint (metacarpal/tarsal phalangeal) or middle joint (P1/P2) gives predictable excellent results with minimal surgical interference. The fixator is left in place for three weeks and the dog returned to training seven weeks from the initial surgery.

The principle behind this treatment is that if the joint is held in its normal position for a period of time scar tissue replaces the torn ligaments and provides sufficient support.

I've gone back with a load more questions so will see what he says. 

6 hours ago, yanib said:

I've tried to get a second opinion from this guy:

He is suggesting the fixator and removal of the nail and saying that it works most of the time. Just waiting to see what he is charging. We did have an xray originally and it wasn't broken just dislocated. 

This is what he says about the fixator option:

The application of an external fixator across the joint, applied to either the top joint (metacarpal/tarsal phalangeal) or middle joint (P1/P2) gives predictable excellent results with minimal surgical interference. The fixator is left in place for three weeks and the dog returned to training seven weeks from the initial surgery.

The principle behind this treatment is that if the joint is held in its normal position for a period of time scar tissue replaces the torn ligaments and provides sufficient support.

I've gone back with a load more questions so will see what he says. 

Best o.luck whatever u decide 

• Like 1