New uk eel record .. 11lb 3 oz

5 minutes ago, waltjnr said:

I'm guessing catching the uk record bumped the price up ,and as he says its out of print ,he's other book was 200 plus ,

It’s a deliberate thing mate the book waiting for waddle was so expensive second hand because of the limited run on the first edition used to be good friends with Mike willmot years ago and he would do a first run of 2000 books then keep a load of the leather bound editions back in the hope they would rocket in price a bit further down the road 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, waltjnr said:

I'm guessing catching the uk record bumped the price up ,and as he says its out of print ,he's other book was 200 plus ,

Many years ago I lost an eel that would have beaten the British record when it was 8lb something from huntsteet lake near Bristol I know it was bigger because the record was stuffed and on display in the local tackle shop, the one I lost I was spinning for pike at night in a local quarry and I stopped retrieving for a minute to wipe the rain off my face and as the spinner went to the bottom the rod banged out from under my arm and I had what I thought was a big pike on when it came over the draw cord into the net the treble caught in the mesh and the ell just reversed out still have the picture burned into my mind it was like a car tyre curled up in the bottom of the net proper gutter even 40 years on 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Many years ago I lost an eel that would have beaten the British record when it was 8lb something from huntsteet lake near Bristol I know it was bigger because the record was stuffed and on display in the local tackle shop, the one I lost I was spinning for pike at night in a local quarry and I stopped retrieving for a minute to wipe the rain off my face and as the spinner went to the bottom the rod banged out from under my arm and I had what I thought was a big pike on when it came over the draw cord into the net the treble caught in the mesh and the ell just reversed out still have the picture burned into my mind it was like a car tyre curled up in the bottom of the net proper gutter even 40 years on 

Wow ! That is a memory ! Listening to him has made me think ,I'd like a go at that ,be different, not have to listen to the carp crap lol,be on a lake doing your own thing ,

Just now, waltjnr said:

Wow ! That is a memory ! Listening to him has made me think ,I'd like a go at that ,be different, not have to listen to the carp crap lol,be on a lake doing your own thing ,

Worms or roach heads on the hair instead of boilies and your away mate my lads having a few good ones around 4/5 pound on bookies  at the moment but he hates them and just cuts the hook link 

• Thanks 1

Was looking forward to the comp ,and now realise I'm looking after a mates boarding kennels ,would have been a nice catch up ,if I can get Mrs to do that weekend at kennels, I'll be there 👍 

15 minutes ago, waltjnr said:

Got 2 signed terry hearn books ,one a personal insult lol ,the other just a sig ,might be worth something one day ? 

Got willmots book signed to Paul you fat b*****d lol 

On 10/07/2024 at 19:00, Greyman said:

Have you seen Hunstrete mate, massive fish kill and been drained down?  As for eels awful things to catch IMO but amazing fish, good picture in the story of Henleaze lake book of a cracking eel caught by a lad I used to fish with.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TRUEBRIT66 said:

Have you seen Hunstrete mate, massive fish kill and been drained down?  As for eels awful things to catch IMO but amazing fish, good picture in the story of Henleaze lake book of a cracking eel caught by a lad I used to fish with.

Was henleaze I lost that whopper years ago mate land locked chunks, tragedy what’s happened at hunt street especially with all the history of the place always said it should have been a small syndicate never a club water 

• Like 1