Would you bow to your boss ?

11 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

As a troop ssgt , I am in one of more unusual boss / staff situations . 

i salute my boss once a day , when we see each other for the first time , then I refer to him all day as sir . 

after that me and my counterpart in the section spend all day making sure he’s not making a f***ing idiot of himself in front of everyone else . “Troopy are you f***ing mental ? “ 

“have you done this yet Troopy ?” 
“why aren’t you there yet ?” 
“ get your f***ing life sorted out ! “ 

We basically validate his opinions in his emails , what’s achievable and what’s not. 

an unusual way of doing things , upwards development . 

I bet he's an overpromoted public school boy whose confidence does not match his competence.

Sorry, I must not let the  chip on my shoulder show

I must not let the chip on my shoulder show x50 lol

I wonder how many  needless british squaddie massacres were dreamed up on Eton's cricket fields.

PS I did play cricket against a team of chaps, some from Eton. Jesus they can play. Made us look like children. Bet they wouldn't play us at football or put a team of boxers up against us though. Sorry I must not....ad nauseum.

Edited by jukel123

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was a Maintenance Manager and the owner started kicking off f***ing and blinding at me. I warned him I would walk. He carried on I threw my tools in my truck and f****d off I was 62 at the time. If

Iv just been told if im not willing to do 7 till 7  hours next week don’t bother coming  in …..My Answer was get f****d iv just jacked 

Nobody tells the dai dog what to do.... especially with 100k in his sky rocket.  Maybe don't go mad on the hookers and cocaine....at least until you find another job 👍

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

I bet he's an overpromoted public school boy whose confidence does not match his competence.

I wonder how many  needless british squaddie massacres were dreamed up on Eton's cricket fields.

PS I did play cricket against a team of chaps, some from Eton. Jesus they can play. Made us look like children. Bet they wouldn't play us at football or put a team of boxers up against us though. Sorry I must not....ad nauseum.

TBH mate the situation due to stiffeys carreer I myself would sooner have that situation as I would sooner be told the situation as it is and obviously know were you stand with management and such like instead of management wanting to be your best buddy that I find cringey at best. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

TBH mate the situation due to stiffeys carreer I myself would sooner have that situation as I would sooner be told the situation as it is and obviously know were you stand with management and such like instead of management wanting to be your best buddy that I find cringey at best. 

No problem with Stiff...Good lad. But the Sandhurst Eton lot, don't get me going.😁

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

No problem with Stiff...Good lad. But the Sandhurst Eton lot, don't get me going.😁

I would no doubt clash with them types mate tbh though again I can't see them being any worse than a lot of jumped up managers I have have come across in my working life who have got the position for towing the line. 

18 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

I would no doubt clash with them types mate tbh though again I can't see them being any worse than a lot of jumped up managers I have have come across in my working life who have got the position for towing the line. 

True.  Self respect is a stranger to those people. Horrible. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, jukel123 said:

Nah he’s a lovely kid , he’ll do well in the staff side of his role and career but needs to work a bit more on his command and authority to swell his KSE. 

luckily that’s part of his job to goes as much from me and my oppo in his tenure as they work to an accelerated timeline and completion for the next rank up is fierce . It’s a reflection on me his ability to take that role and a key part of being a snco, it’s not all bad lads army these days mate 

2 hours ago, jukel123 said:

I bet he is an intelligent, top class, logical lad and would be of benefit at whatever he did in the world…..it’s the morons who are a pain in the arse mate !

• Like 1

@jukel123 Have you ever watched the documentary “Restrepo” mate ?

Its American obviously, but it’s a great insight into what a combat officer is dealing with and how he deals with it….it’s not just focused on the officer, but you see enough to get an idea. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, mel b said:

You're either a good manager , or you aren't.   Being a good man manager isn't something that you can learn . You either have it or you don't.  You can learn management techniques and buzz words , and have a fist full of management qualifications,  but , none of it is worth a wank if you don't understand people.

Good post but i disagree mate as that education may change your understanding of yourself l. 

why ? 

A Little education can reap benefits to your own knowledge, skills and experience . 

There’s only four command positions in the military ,

commanding officer (lt col)

officer commanding  (major) 

troop commander ( lt )

and section commander ( corporal , the most important role in the military imho and the point of failure in any operation) 

everyone else , sgts , sgt major , is absolutely the supporting cast . 

I work as a tp ssgt , I mainly work in the shadows , advising the tp commander what is achievable and the cpls what is accepted and what is jank. Expectation management and career development is my bread and butter work. 

as a section commander in airborne forces, my hardest job was delivering the bare minimum as standard . I had anywhere between 18 and 40 versions of me underneath me, holding their leads back at times , dragging boys to the next task and the next win was f***ing hard but the standards imbued into me were what I expected . 

when I promoted and moved on , I had to completely realign my thought process , I used to have to check if guys were lying about not being injured to come on physical training or exercise , I had to for want of a better term be the pirate captain , be more driven , the last to leave , the first to start , be louder , fitter , better , carry more weight than. Anyone else .It was  f***ing draining .

now I was literally checking if guys were in work , if they were fit enough , if they could do the basics , it was like being at man united then transferring to Stockport county . It was a totally different job , and when I started I had to change things to get the climate I wanted . 

I read until the small hours every night , swot analysis, 10 diseases of leadership and realised that the main reason my new team were failing was me ! 

I was enforcing standards they weren't capable of meeting or had any need to.

those few months of professional development not only helped me increase my understanding but drove my team far beyond my expectations . 

for a few hours reading a week and a bit of financial outlay and lap top wrangling , I now have professionally recognised qualifications in engineering management , iosh , chartered manager and ilm membership . I’d much rather do this as a career than be that rakish angry section commander any day of the week . 

IMG_6414.jpeg

• Like 2

If you asked my boss for a list of people who tell him to F off I'm pretty sure my name would be near the top of the list. In my defence it's only when they are being out of order expecting too much of me and my gang or generally annoying me.

14 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

As a troop ssgt , I am in one of more unusual boss / staff situations . 

i salute my boss once a day , when we see each other for the first time , then I refer to him all day as sir . 

after that me and my counterpart in the section spend all day making sure he’s not making a f***ing idiot of himself in front of everyone else . “Troopy are you f***ing mental ? “ 

“have you done this yet Troopy ?” 
“why aren’t you there yet ?” 
“ get your f***ing life sorted out ! “ 

We basically validate his opinions in his emails , what’s achievable and what’s not. 

an unusual way of doing things , upwards development . 

Ah so i see the enlisted- officer relationship is about the same there too 🤦 

DvnkkndW0AgwH4l.jpg

31 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Good post but i disagree mate as that education may change your understanding of yourself l. 

why ? 

A Little education can reap benefits to your own knowledge, skills and experience . 

troop commander ( lt )

and section commander ( corporal , the most important role in the military imho and the point of failure in any operation) 

I work as a tp ssgt , I mainly work in the shadows , advising the tp commander what is achievable and the cpls what is accepted and what is jank. Expectation management and career development is my bread and butter work. 

as a section commander in airborne forces, my hardest job was delivering the bare minimum as standard . I had anywhere between 18 and 40 versions of me underneath me, holding their leads back at times , dragging boys to the next task and the next win was f***ing hard but the standards imbued into me were what I expected . 

when I promoted and moved on , I had to completely realign my thought process , I used to have to check if guys were lying about not being injured to come on physical training or exercise , I had to for want of a better term be the pirate captain , be more driven , the last to leave , the first to start , be louder , fitter , better , carry more weight than. Anyone else .It was  f***ing draining .

now I was literally checking if guys were in work , if they were fit enough , if they could do the basics , it was like being at man united then transferring to Stockport county . It was a totally different job , and when I started I had to change things to get the climate I wanted . 

I read until the small hours every night , swot analysis, 10 diseases of leadership and realised that the main reason my new team were failing was me ! 

those few months of professional development not only helped me increase my understanding but drove my team far beyond my expectations . 

for a few hours reading a week and a bit of financial outlay and lap top wrangling , I now have professionally recognised qualifications in engineering management , iosh , chartered manager and ilm membership . I’d much rather do this as a career than be that rakish angry section commander any day of the week . 

IMG_6414.jpeg

One of my old mates went awol, lived in his car for a few weeks and ended up getting rushed in to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning. He said basic training was a piece of piss, ended up getting his HGV straight after.

6 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

why ? 

troop commander ( lt )

IMG_6414.jpeg

You've just proven my point perfectly stiff.

You're obviously a decent man manager.

You identified the problem , and the problem was you , so you fixed that problem by getting more, education , knowledge,  and understanding. 

A poor man manager , would have just stood there screaming at the lads that "he's the manager" , and they have to do what he says because " he's the manager " . That would have achieved nothing but resentment and poorer results for both sides .

A good man manager understands people . Some people need a bit of carrot , some people need a bit of stick , and some people just need a smile , and a wink of recognition for their efforts. 

Every person is different. Some people are motivated , and some people aren't.  A good man manager will be able to get the best out of everyone , by learning what that person needs , and what motivates them , and can do it without a big scene , and causing resentment. 

• Like 1

Just thinking to myself. 

I've got along with most of my managers over the years , especially the ones that most other people didn't like for some reason.   I'm no kind of brown nose , and I've told one or two to go f**k themselves when they've treated me badly , but on the whole , I can rub along with most folks.

I'm 56 in a few weeks , and I'm still in touch with the first boss I had when I left school , and not many weeks go by without a few texts .  strangely enough , I told him to go f**k himself plenty of times when I was younger , and not quite as laid back as I am these days 😄.