Yes I think for cost of living there isn't many places to rival it really can have 3 good meals a day for under a 5er hassle free plenty of places to go see round the country.i don't think I'd of been able to afford to retire many other places 9 year early 

• Like 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that’s me done I finished my last shift last night on the Railway, I’ve really enjoyed it the railway people are a different class of people, character’s helpful friendly and always willing to sh

I retired 5 weeks ago and I absolutely love it! No problem having late nights as I can lie in next day, can suit myself where I go and when (single man, my ex missus died a few months ago).

Am down to 3 days a week now should be out completely around Christmas time at the latest house sale is still going through for the third time and once that’s gone can focus on shifting the other life

11 hours ago, Councilestatekid said:

Yes mate I'd be alot more comfortable if I worked till I was 50 like but still should be able to  live quite a comfortable lifestyle out there and retire earlier so it makes sense to do it and I'm past the partying every nite etc so won't be wasting money that way. there's just no incentive for me to be in this country anymore

I know a few ex miners who have made the move to Thailand and just living on their pit pensions that's about a grand a month reckon they have a decent standard of living far better than the UK if that's all they have to live on.

3 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

I know a few ex miners who have made the move to Thailand and just living on their pit pensions that's about a grand a month reckon they have a decent standard of living far better than the UK if that's all they have to live on.

Yea I know a lad lives on £750 a month quite easily he says but depends what kind of lifestyle you want id hope to fit in around the grand a month on basic months then months [BANNED TEXT] go off places etc obviously cost will go up but that'll be covered just doin it really for the better standard of living really 

• Like 1

I retired 5 weeks ago and I absolutely love it!

No problem having late nights as I can lie in next day, can suit myself where I go and when (single man, my ex missus died a few months ago).

I plan some days and some days I just roll with it and now my favourite phrase is "no rush" even though I've got terminal lung cancer 🤦‍♂️

Cheers, D.

• Like 18
On 01/07/2024 at 19:38, FLATTOP said:

Well that’s me done I finished my last shift last night on the Railway, I’ve really enjoyed it the railway people are a different class of people, character’s helpful friendly and always willing to share skills knowledge and experience.

The job I have just given up was high adrenaline and sometimes sad but it suited me lone worker managing incidents and getting things moving again I have had a varied career Pway which is track maintenance, Road Railers for a number of years and also level crossing inspections for about seven years, and the rest of my career as a Mom, Mobile Operations Manager.

Now I’m looking to move house I have three counties in mind Devon, Herefordshire and Norfolk but I’ve got to get away from the rat race that is Essex.

It feels strange knowing no more 12 hour shifts and working 3 weekends in 4.

My old man turns 70 next mont and is in his 49th year as a signalman and still has no intentions on retirement.Probably because my mother would end up divorcing or killing him within a couple of months having him at home all day.

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, dytkos said:

No problem having late nights as I can lie in next day, can suit myself where I go and when (single man, my ex missus died a few months ago).

I plan some days and some days I just roll with it and now my favourite phrase is "no rush" even though I've got terminal lung cancer 🤦‍♂️

Cheers, D.

Good luck mate were ever your road takes you 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, dytkos said:

Cheers, D.

That's the way no rush mate think I'll start using that myself 🤣🤣.Hooe you carry on enjoying your retirement pal

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, downsouth said:

My old man turns 70 next mont and is in his 49th year as a signalman and still has no intentions on retirement.Probably because my mother would end up divorcing or killing him within a couple of months having him at home all day.

Good luck to him the railway gets to you and it is difficult to leave the life I bet he retires once he’s done his 50 years a lot of blokes get close and then hang in for the 50.

31 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

Good luck to him the railway gets to you and it is difficult to leave the life I bet he retires once he’s done his 50 years a lot of blokes get close and then hang in for the 50.

I dunno if he will.Hes got a cushty number and most of his managers leave him alone as he trained them to be signalman and they know he knows the job inside out.Also he's never had any hobbies or interests.If he had nothing to do he'd probably end up In the village boozer more than would be healthy.

• Like 1

Thailands not as cheap as many think, my mates going over to retire next year, he been going for 2 months every year and loves it, but he’s one of them that will live like a tramp to save a few baht. I can’t see me liking that not working so having to live/eating/ on shit.and all those old perverts walking about with young birds does my nut in. C…s think thier brad pit ffs. More like cess pit

• Like 2
7 hours ago, dytkos said:

Cheers, D.

Sorry to hear about your good lady D.

No rush is a good philosophy.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Qbgrey said:

Thailands not as cheap as many think, my mates going over to retire next year, he been going for 2 months every year and loves it, but he’s one of them that will live like a tramp to save a few baht. I can’t see me liking that not working so having to live/eating/ on shit.and all those old perverts walking about with young birds does my nut in. C…s think thier brad pit ffs. More like cess pit

I've been goin now for years yea I don't go pattaya where all the bar scene is etc where all the people go sit in a bar for 3 weeks playing up that there loaded to the bar girls im goin to be based in hua hin have enough to live a nice lifestyle as won't be goin the bars every night or need to pay for girls alot nicer relaxed way off life in hua hin than the likes of pattaya etc didn't fancy bein on 1 of the islands has that'll bump price up and I know the cost I could have 3 nice meals a day in hua hin for about a 5er found a nice condo to rent for around £220 a month add electric water and Internet prob work out around £300 a month £300 a month for food will be easy enough and will eat well for that and then day to day living costs so shud come in around the £1000/1200 month Mark then just when we go exploring different places will add to the cost but all budgeted for so rather be retired there than in the grind here but suppose it wouldn't suit everybody if had to live off £500 a month and penny pinch wouldn't consider it 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Councilestatekid said:

I've been goin now for years yea I don't go pattaya where all the bar scene is etc where all the people go sit in a bar for 3 weeks playing up that there loaded to the bar girls im goin to be based in hua hin have enough to live a nice lifestyle as won't be goin the bars every night or need to pay for girls alot nicer relaxed way off life in hua hin than the likes of pattaya etc didn't fancy bein on 1 of the islands has that'll bump price up and I know the cost I could have 3 nice meals a day in hua hin for about a 5er found a nice condo to rent for around £220 a month add electric water and Internet prob work out around £300 a month £300 a month for food will be easy enough and will eat well for that and then day to day living costs so shud come in around the £1000/1200 month Mark then just when we go exploring different places will add to the cost but all budgeted for so rather be retired there than in the grind here but suppose it wouldn't suit everybody if had to live off £500 a month and penny pinch wouldn't consider it 

Hua hin does look good, I’m the same get away from the bars, over inflated tourist prices. . I’m looking at some islands in Malaysia for a condo, looks good.