When I retired I decided every morning I would think to myself. "No work today mate, you are a free man."

My last words to my Mrs before we go to sleep are: new day tomorrow and no work to go to."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well that’s me done I finished my last shift last night on the Railway, I’ve really enjoyed it the railway people are a different class of people, character’s helpful friendly and always willing to sh

I retired 5 weeks ago and I absolutely love it! No problem having late nights as I can lie in next day, can suit myself where I go and when (single man, my ex missus died a few months ago).

Am down to 3 days a week now should be out completely around Christmas time at the latest house sale is still going through for the third time and once that’s gone can focus on shifting the other life

Am down to 3 days a week now should be out completely around Christmas time at the latest house sale is still going through for the third time and once that’s gone can focus on shifting the other life shackles I have and enjoying my time out on the boat  through the summer then off on a few holidays over winter 

• Like 9
4 hours ago, jukel123 said:

When I retired I decided every morning I would think to myself. "No work today mate, you are a free man."

My last words to my Mrs before we go to sleep are: new day tomorrow and no work to go to."

Both me and the wife will think the same mate as Both of us just look at each other both of us have had an hard crap day at work with the type of job's we have and say R.O.R roll on retirement. 

• Like 5
27 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Both me and the wife will think the same mate as Both of us just look at each other both of us have had an hard crap day at work with the type of job's we have and say R.O.R roll on retirement. 

How long you got to go mate, it doesn’t sound like you enjoy what you do, I must admit I loved the railway my Mrs thinks I’m a rail nerd lol… 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

How long you got to go mate, it doesn’t sound like you enjoy what you do, I must admit I loved the railway my Mrs thinks I’m a rail nerd lol… 

Another 3 years for both of us mate till we get the state pension. Even though we both get small pensions now her from doing 21 years as a care worker with the council and me working down the pit it's not enough to live on comfortably though topped up with the state pension we will be comfortable with being mortgage free. Plus the wife has cut her hours down due to not being in the best of health and I am thinking about getting something part time in the next year.

• Like 4

Good luck and congratulations on your retirement. I’m due to go that way in February next year but have been asked to stay on a while. I love what I do.  I’ve a new manager, a new kid on the block and he’s pushing me to go even earlier with his shouty attitude. If I don’t clock the Cnut I’ll be free in February 🤞🏻

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
1 hour ago, cragman said:

Good luck and congratulations on your retirement. I’m due to go that way in February next year but have been asked to stay on a while. I love what I do.  I’ve a new manager, a new kid on the block and he’s pushing me to go even earlier with his shouty attitude. If I don’t clock the Cnut I’ll be free in February 🤞🏻

New managers are always the same they have to justify their existence and piss up their own tree, thing is you know they will move on in a year or so February is not long hang in there.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, FLATTOP said:

Your a hard worker Stav full time keeper would be nicer than all that graft you put in you and Daniel Cain don’t stop grafting you should set up together with both your work ethic you could both retire in 18 months 😂 

I could see myself just looking after my little shoot, I think it’s time Mrs Stav took over all my money worries and allowed me to live my dream

i think it would be good for me to work with DC, that lad puts some graft in, I’d maybe learn a few things because he knows what he’s doing where as I just blag my way through life

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

I could see myself just looking after my little shoot, I think it’s time Mrs Stav took over all my money worries and allowed me to live my dream

i think it would be good for me to work with DC, that lad puts some graft in, I’d maybe learn a few things because he knows what he’s doing where as I just blag my way through life

I dunno Stav some of those projects you take on are big and you always seem to get them done, there’s definitely a lot of successful lads on here with good work ethics.

• Like 2

I've decided to make the jump and retire aswel always said I'd retire at 50 but just don't fancy sticking it out that long so just on with squaring a few things up have a 3 week holiday in Sept and retired by Xmas hopefully to sunnier climates .ive hardly worked much this year so far and loved it always enjoyed workin grafted since I was 12 but something just changed this year where I'm just not interested at all or have the motivation on a job today and all I was thinking hope it rains so can get off it 🤣🤣

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, mackem said:

Thailand?

Yes mate I'd be alot more comfortable if I worked till I was 50 like but still should be able to  live quite a comfortable lifestyle out there and retire earlier so it makes sense to do it and I'm past the partying every nite etc so won't be wasting money that way. there's just no incentive for me to be in this country anymore

Edited by Councilestatekid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Councilestatekid said:

Yes mate I'd be alot more comfortable if I worked till I was 50 like but still should be able to  live quite a comfortable lifestyle out there and retire earlier so it makes sense to do it and I'm past the partying every nite etc so won't be wasting money that way. there's just no incentive for me to be in this country anymore

Yup mate uk is going down hill, I fear it will only get worse. I’ve had my gaff valued and am thinking which path to take, buy a smaller place here and a holiday/ retirement apartment somewhere nice abroad. Bloody kids hold you back too, they got all thier friends here etc. 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Councilestatekid said:

Yes mate I'd be alot more comfortable if I worked till I was 50 

Money can’t buy time,I walked away before I was 50,it was always my intention,enjoy your life,your time is precious,live life how you want to.My lady wants to retire to Thailand,as good a place as any and better than most to live a stress free retirement.

• Like 6