whippet, early season

my whippet has come back in season after only 4 and half months, all my lurchers tended to be pretty regular at 6 months, is this normal with whippets? 

Edited by fred90

On 29/06/2024 at 00:48, fred90 said:

my whippet has come back in season after only 4 and half months, all my lurchers tended to be pretty regular at 6 months, is this normal with whippets? 

Some whippets seem to come on when it suits them. I had one who could go nearly 12 months then another time 5 months. When they were working a lot of the time they seemed to miss cycles, I thought maybe because of little body fat?

Edited by Aussie Whip
2 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Some whippets seem to come on when it suits them. I had one who could go nearly 12 months then another time 5 months. When they were working a lot of the time they seemed to miss cycles, I thought maybe because of little body fat?

thanks for the reply, she is in good condition, very active when we are out, just a pain in the arse coming in season early. 

• Like 1

Not a pure whippet, but the only whippet lurcher I've ever had (collie x whippet) would come in season pretty regularly every four months. What with that and her dreadful feet and I remember one year when she spent more time on the lead than free.🤐

11 hours ago, Neal said:

Not a pure whippet, but the only whippet lurcher I've ever had (collie x whippet) would come in season pretty regularly every four months. What with that and her dreadful feet and I remember one year when she spent more time on the lead than free.🤐

Hard to condition a bitch like that 

• Like 2

How old is the bitch? If she is young it may just be settling down. I know a coursing bloke had his first whippet came in for the first time at 18months. He bred from her and she never came in again ever.

1 hour ago, jeemes said:

How old is the bitch? If she is young it may just be settling down. I know a coursing bloke had his first whippet came in for the first time at 18months. He bred from her and she never came in again ever.

she's 3 in September, didn't have her 1st season till 14 months old. 

On 02/07/2024 at 09:13, fred90 said:

she's 3 in September, didn't have her 1st season till 14 months old. 

Not a pup then. I know it as happened to me before and its a pain, like someone else said its a job to condition them. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jeemes said:

Not a pup then. I know it as happened to me before and its a pain, like someone else said its a job to condition them. 

What I've seen, don't work them for a couple of months before you intend to breed them so they get a bit of body fat on them? I'd like to hear other ideas on this if I'm wrong.

33 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

What I've seen, don't work them for a couple of months before you intend to breed them so they get a bit of body fat on them? I'd like to hear other ideas on this if I'm wrong.

I think you are correct.

Most bitches will come in season if their fitness levels are eased up a bit, and they are allowed to get a tad 'soft' for a while.

Used to see it a lot with the greyhounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I think you are correct.

Most bitches will come in season if their fitness levels are eased up a bit, and they are allowed to get a tad 'soft' for a while.

Used to see it a lot with the greyhounds.

Yeah I noticed it with the whippet bitches and remembered a lot of female athletes don't cycle due to being overly fit/thin. Seems all bitches are similar 😄.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Aussie Whip said:

Yeah I noticed it with the whippet bitches and remembered a lot of female athletes don't cycle due to being overly fit/thin. Seems all bitches are similar 😄.

I believe it's called amenorrhoea?

Same sort of thing.  👍

• Like 1