39 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

the compatible partner,

My cousin lives in Caithness,between Thurso and cape wrath,an absolutely desolate place,been there maybe 30 years,moved there with her husband who thought it a good idea.They were young when they went,had health problems since,her kids who were born up there all moved south of the border,I have been up there a few times in the winter and I class myself as fairly adaptable,my cousin told my sis she regrets the move,it’s an acquired taste and not for everyone.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mackem said:

My cousin lives in Caithness,between Thurso and cape wrath,an absolutely desolate place,been there maybe 30 years,moved there with her husband who thought it a good idea.They were young when they went,had health problems since,her kids who were born up there all moved south of the border,I have been up there a few times in the winter and I class myself as fairly adaptable,my cousin told my sis she regrets the move,it’s an acquired taste and not for everyone.

like you say great when your fit a young but not great if you need doctors and hospital appointments regularly

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Do,I detect a hint of anti English sentiment there? 

Not at all. Think you’ll find Scots are a very welcoming people. You seem pretty well versed in trying to wind them up though, so wouldn’t be surprised if you’ve come across a few who think you’re a prick.

I was merely lamenting the changes I’ve seen in the last 40 odd years. No issue with anyone moving North to become part of a community. My views are very selfish too, as I don’t live in the highlands and islands and would guess that the ‘traditional’ mainstays of employment such as fishing and farming are now probably very difficult to make any real living at. Tourism is probably the only growing industry.., but I’d hate to see some of the most beautiful parts of the country go like bits of Cornwall etc. where half the properties are holiday homes/lets and so all the youngsters are forced to leave and the life is sucked out what’s left of a community.  

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, pesky1972 said:

Not at all. Think you’ll find Scots are a very welcoming people. You seem pretty well versed in trying to wind them up though, so wouldn’t be surprised if you’ve come across a few who think you’re a prick.

I was merely lamenting the changes I’ve seen in the last 40 odd years. No issue with anyone moving North to become part of a community. My views are very selfish too, as I don’t live in the highlands and islands and would guess that the ‘traditional’ mainstays of employment such as fishing and farming are now probably very difficult to make any real living at. Tourism is probably the only growing industry.., but I’d hate to see some of the most beautiful parts of the country go like bits of Cornwall etc. where half the properties are holiday homes/lets and so all the youngsters are forced to leave and the life is sucked out what’s left of a 

Me? Wind up my Scottish hosts? Only in retaliation and banter. Its difficult not to retaliate when a pub of 150 jocks is singing Flower of Scotland and pointing at you.lol

The only bother I've had having lived here for over 50 years is sectarian nob jockeys when I first moved here.

I've always refused to have the Rangers v Celtic games on telly. I didn't want my kids to have that monkey on their backs or pass my ex Catholic tribal loyalties on to them.

The country should knock religious bigotry on the head..Still stabbing each other over events that happened hundreds of years back wtf?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, greg64 said:

like you say great when your fit a young but not great if you need doctors and hospital appointments regularly

I think my cousin painted herself into a bit of a corner,kids and grandchildren live in England,when her dad got I’ll and died in Sunderland it was quite a trek.

22 hours ago, hot dog said:

Looking to retire or want a project to do to retire to.i'm looking for something around the 125,000 and came across these and quite a few more.all rural.shooters and fisherman's dream could be here.

Screenshot_20240620_211138_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240620_211230_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240620_211230_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240620_211244_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240620_211318_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240620_211318_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240620_211415_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240620_211446_Chrome.jpg

I've been looking at the same things in the same places. Not on the cards at the moment for me as I commented on another thread so wont bore people again here. I love the street views, no streets, just incredible landscapes 🙂. It's madness not to live in such places if a person has the desire to and the freedom and resources to make it a reality. As your post illustrates, you don't need to have won the lottery from the financial aspect but could be winning the lottery from a quality of life perspective. 

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

I've been looking at the same things in the same places. Not on the cards at the moment for me as I commented on another thread so wont bore people again here. I love the street views, no streets, just incredible landscapes 🙂. It's madness not to live in such places if a person has the desire to and the freedom and resources to make it a reality. As your post illustrates, you don't need to have won the lottery from the financial aspect but could be winning the lottery from a quality of life perspective. 

You can buy flats in Highland towns in what looks like quality old solid buildings for as little as £43,000.

• Like 2