Looking to retire or want a project to do to retire to.i'm looking for something around the 125,000 and came across these and quite a few more.all rural.shooters and fisherman's dream could be here.

Screenshot_20240620_211138_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240620_211230_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240620_211244_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240620_211318_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240620_211415_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240620_211446_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, hot dog said:

That particular house is right out there in the middle of nowhere.beautiful it is.

I always used to like going to Dornoch and Helmsdale as a kid,wild sparsely populated country once you get inland.

• Like 1

Did Madonna and Guy Ritchie marry in Dornoch? I'm sure my mate who used to live there had the old girl vicor around who married them one night for a drink! Nice they chose Dornoch.. they could have gone anywhere really!

• Like 1

And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack 

And you may find yourself in another part of the world 

And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile 

And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife 

And you may find yourself grinning slyly as the coach leaves for Mexborough 

Edited by low plains drifter
Start of a dynasty
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack 

And you may find yourself in another part of the world 

And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile 

And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife 

And you may find yourself grinning slyly as the coach leaves for Mexborough 

I'll buy a deerhound and call him Gorm.

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, hot dog said:

Looking to retire or want a project to do to retire to.i'm looking for something around the 125,000 and came across these and quite a few more.all rural.shooters and fisherman's dream could be here.

I'm gonna fck off up the Highlands when I retire, sell the houses and buy a small place with a field or 2

• Like 1
17 hours ago, hot dog said:

Cheap up there. Be half a million for a run down place like that around me 😅

You've got to have the insular personality, the compatible partner, a four wheel drive, an ability to withstand the wet, windy, cold climate and the midges in summer. Some of the islands have good house and steading bargains. Once you have bought a place, they are difficult to sell on if you have second thoughts.

Get a deerhoundx ...more likely to keep you in meat than a pedigree. 😁 Good luck if you go ahead with it.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 2

The highlands and islands of Scotland are filling up with English looking to escape. Probably escaping the migrant hordes.., but with the irony a bit lost on them.
I’ve loved the far North West since I was a wee laddie but haven’t been up in a while. I’ve read about how busy it’s become especially since the NC500 and covid, and it looks like it’s become a weekend playground for anyone in the UK with a kayak or a mountain bike. The allure of that part of the country, apart from it’s obvious rugged beauty, is how remote it always felt. Driving miles along the coast on single track roads and scarcely passing another motor. And I remember it taking a whole day to get there.., once they finally dual the A9 it’ll be a few hours drive from the central belt. 

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

You've got to have the insular personality, the compatible partner, a four wheel drive, an ability to withstand the wet, windy, cold climate and the midges in summer. Some of the islands have good house and steading bargains. Once you have bought a place, they are difficult to sell on if you have second thoughts.

Get a deerhoundx ...more likely to keep you in meat than a pedigree. 😁 Good luck if you go ahead with it.

The partner is crucial,most people can’t comprehend true wilderness 50-100 km from your nearest neighbour,there’s no WiFi,couple of feet of snow outside,don’t forget the teabags and milk when you make the 200km round trip to the store.

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, pesky1972 said:

The highlands and islands of Scotland are filling up with English looking to escape. Probably escaping the migrant hordes.., but with the irony a bit lost on them.
I’ve loved the far North West since I was a wee laddie but haven’t been up in a while. I’ve read about how busy it’s become especially since the NC500 and covid, and it looks like it’s become a weekend playground for anyone in the UK with a kayak or a mountain bike. The allure of that part of the country, apart from it’s obvious rugged beauty, is how remote it always felt. Driving miles along the coast on single track roads and scarcely passing another motor. And I remember it taking a whole day to get there.., once they finally dual the A9 it’ll be a few hours drive from the central belt. 

Do,I detect a hint of anti English sentiment there? Hotdog, there are a few buzz words to get them going. Mention the date 1966, they love that. Ask about Edward the first, the hammer of the Scots. He's very well thought of.  Tell them them you've wiped your arse on a copy of The Declaration of Arbroath and that the Stone of Destiny should be put back in Westminster Abbey. It's difficult to retire though when you've lit the touch paper.

If you really want to fit in tell a Rangers supporter that the time is 9 past Haffey. Things could get physical.

Edited by jukel123
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, mackem said:

The partner is crucial,most people can’t comprehend true wilderness 50-100 km from your nearest neighbour,there’s no WiFi,couple of feet of snow outside,don’t forget the teabags and milk when you make the 200km round trip to the store.

Yes, if you miss something off your shopping list, it's a major tragedy. Spoken to a few people who've forgotten a particular food or toilet paper etc. You've a week or more to do without. It's too harsh an existence for me, too old. But some love it.

• Like 3