Bedlington x Whippet

10 hours ago, Chevy Chase said:

Exactly that mate, a lad I used to knock around with in my early teens had a first cross beddy grey he was only 22.5 at the shoulder, and to this day probably one the best little allrounders I’ve seen, looked a bit like some of the heartbreak fell dogs I’ve seen posted on here

Delta my old bitch, and her sire Flynn who was a first cross beddy/grey from Heartbreak Fell Kennels;

37F1C1D7-F046-48BD-8B38-600D3BE764A4.jpeg.6ea2885300bf20251a0d8f213a57020e.jpeg

Cheers.

• Like 3

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There’s still genuine working Bedlington’s around.   Cheers.

My little bitch Delta was only 1/4 beddy, a hard little dog, only injuries in a long career were mainly cuts and tears.  lived ‘till she was 15 worked ‘till she was 12. Cheers.  

A pal has just had this ten month old first cross beddy/grey sent over from Ireland, sire is working Bedlington. Cheers.

Posted Images

20 hours ago, chartpolski said:

I don’t know mate. The lad that owns them says they are Bedlington and that’s good enough for me.

Cheers.

My mum told me Father Christmas was real but turned out to be a lie 

2 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Delta my old bitch, and her sire Flynn who was a first cross beddy/grey from Heartbreak Fell Kennels;

37F1C1D7-F046-48BD-8B38-600D3BE764A4.jpeg.6ea2885300bf20251a0d8f213a57020e.jpeg

Cheers.

You need to put the Irish beddy x over your Deerhound x

Recently browsed through some old editions of earth dog running dog and an article by a well known South Yorkshire terrier man Mick Bladen who started off with a couple of Bedlingtons and from what I have been told by an old terrier man who is also a good mate these Bedlingtons were decent earth dogs. 

9 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Weren't they always used as a general purpose vermin dog rather than a dedicated earth dog? Mainly rabbiting from a couple of old 1800's dog books I have.

From what I've seen, spoken to owners, and read about bedlingtons, yep, rabbiting and alround/general purpose dogs, including taking feathered game, is how they've been described.

My ex brother in law owned one which was mad on mink, as well as catching rabbits and foxes pretty regularly in cover. Superb nose on it, but was pretty dog aggressive.

He also owned two bedlington lurchers, at separate times, which also had great noses.

He has a whippet now, that is, in his words, far easier to live with and easier to control.

• Like 2

Facts are, .ALL hybrids are different,....there is no guarantee that one type, put across another type, will be the same as all its similarly bred cousins .

It is foolish to think that we will always get , what we wanna...

All dogs are different, and it is for this reason that one cannot simply 'order a specific type, off the shelf'.....it just ain't as easy as that.

I believe that this reasoning applies to ALL crossbreds.....there is never any guarantees.....👍

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 7

I certainly think that beddywhippets have changed through the years, in the 70s and early 80s I grew up with a few first cross dogs around me. they were around 19tts and very whippety and fast, my own first crosses since have all lacked a yard, and not been as racy built, I can only put it down to the beddys of today. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Bakerboy said:

But theres nothing stopping any breed of terrier working above and below ground, we just choose not to use them as much

Them other types are always dropping in ,a good bedlington only drops in when the moon is on the cusp  that's if the can get anywhere 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, fred90 said:

I certainly think that beddywhippets have changed through the years, in the 70s and early 80s I grew up with a few first cross dogs around me. they were around 19tts and very whippety and fast, my own first crosses since have all lacked a yard, and not been as racy built, I can only put it down to the beddys of today. 

That’s why I’d never have one, I’d always go for a greyhound x for the sake of a couple of inches in difference in height you’re going to get a much more versatile little lurcher 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Chevy Chase said:

That’s why I’d never have one, I’d always go for a greyhound x for the sake of a couple of inches in difference in height you’re going to get a much more versatile little lurcher 

Yes I can see your point, I have always used them for hunting up cover, marking holes etc, this they exel at, they do catch on short runs but I don't class them as running dog's, not mine anyway. 

I've got a three quarter bred from a long line of workers and he has a coat like a half cross. I'd have another in a heartbeat or would love to put him over a decent deerhound/greyhound.

• Like 3