Bedlington x Whippet

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There’s still genuine working Bedlington’s around.   Cheers.

My little bitch Delta was only 1/4 beddy, a hard little dog, only injuries in a long career were mainly cuts and tears.  lived ‘till she was 15 worked ‘till she was 12. Cheers.  

A pal has just had this ten month old first cross beddy/grey sent over from Ireland, sire is working Bedlington. Cheers.

Posted Images

lots on pet websites, personally I wouldn't look at 99% of them but now and again there is something worth looking at, myself I would look for a three quarter bred. 

I’ve got one. It’s too small to be a decent all round Lurcher but she’s a great addition to the team. Good bushing and ferreting dog. Goes to ground and very obedient. Great pets too and good in the house. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, ferret333 said:

A mate of mine 3 weeks ago has lined his whippet to a beddlington.

Not sure if she's took but they are north east England if you can wait that long if she has took that is.

Yes no rush I’m in the south west, keep me updated please

I had to have my one pts last Sunday as he had a stroke. He was nearly 15 and a great little dog. I would have another one tomorrow.

Good luck with your searching.

• Sad 2
13 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

That's a cross I'd like to own but I've never heard of a litter in Oz. The only beddies over here are show type but I do know one guy who shows and ferrets with his.

Most of the ones bred over here are off show stuff too mate.

• Like 3

These threads usually get around to the lack of quality working Bedlington terriers available to produce quality lurchers. Was there ever any quality working Bedlingtons available? I've had the pleasure of seeing a few Bedlington x whippets work. Never owned 1, had a good friend who kept them and even allowed me to borrow the ones he owned on occasion. Great rabbiting dogs but none bred from the mythical working Bedlington.

The sires of the little lurchers were modern KC stuff. Dogs too big to work as a terrier and bitches a bit too sleight for regular work to ground even if they had the inclination. But healthy robust animals, the proper show bred stuff can be feeble, roach back (as opposed to an arched loin),too narrow and weak boned with terrible open coats. 

The KC but none show class Bedlingtons are healthy robust dogs, not really terriers. The usefulness of the Bedlington x whippets probably comes from the whippet side as no better rabbiting dog exists but the Bedlington adds a nice coat to make them aesthetically pleasing and there is the hybrid vigour enigma. 

• Like 7

Think the bloke who breeds penny meadow whippets also breeds Bedlington Cross as well would have to check his website but he does have a very reputation for breeding working whippets  he is on Facebook it is his son who breeds them .

Edited by gasaxeman
  • Like 1

There are a few genuine working beddy’s out there I’ve seen mainly being used for ratting rather than ground work but there are a few left but not loads. Beddy whippets are nice dogs if you can get a well breed one, I had one and he was a lovely little dog. 

2 hours ago, eastcoast said:

These threads usually get around to the lack of quality working Bedlington terriers available to produce quality lurchers.

I wouldn't think you need a working Bedlington as a cross for rabbits, most whippet crosses are decent. I always wanted to put my parson Russell over a whippet but in reality for rabbits I think the cross would be a bit overkill and more difficult to control. You just don't need hard dogs for rabbiting.

Face book is full of litters peddlers dream there charging from 600 tob1500 a pup there was a lad charging a grand a pup saying his were better bred than 90% of dogs in Britain  ffs

• Like 4
  • Haha 3