Non ped whippet x bull

1 hour ago, Busher100 said:

Exactly that mate 🤞 the stud is 21 inch and a rocket his sire was a fair size at 24 so the odd dog might throw as big as that but a 21 or 22 inch bitch be plenty for me if they have the build for it, the bitch is 19 inch and a good working bitch very athletic I like her anyway 

Alas it's the bone density and something about phenotypes if in doubt use a saluki 

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This bitch could run and catch anything and game too.

And another thing don't take some of the people on here to seriously they must have a sense of humour to be on here believe me I'm not gonna come on here start bragging about dogs and all that nonsens

To quote that old THL saying; “ if only you were closer”, you’d get your eggs for free, got to take care of my protege “LOL” Just back from feeding the poultry and collecting the eggs. Hens

Posted Images

On 19/06/2024 at 16:57, downsouth said:

I really can't see what uses a lurcher that lacks pace can really have.Unless you enjoy owning a lurcher that doesn't really catch much. A few of the litter I bred ended up 22" and looked quite racey but we're still miles slower than the 2 bull greyhound bitches I owned which were only 23 and 23 1/2 inches and weighed more.I just don't think whippet blood carries over well when crossing it with bull blood.I know a few people that have had them and all said they struggled to make up the distance on anything.

IMG_2731.JPG

IMG_3935.JPG

IMG_4231.jpg

• Like 13
35 minutes ago, jeemes said:

IMG_2731.JPG

IMG_3935.JPG

IMG_4231.jpg

cracking nick looks english bull x in the angle second pic 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

my dogs some size on it with summer on it’s back @Black neckill get a pic tomorrow you’ll think he’s a bull x lol 

I don't let get too out o shape in the lay off mate ,maybe your employing the Ricky Hatton style of conditioning u dosser 

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

cracking nick looks english bull x in the angle second pic 

🤣 you wouldn't of seen a dogs head go like that keeping them shivering salukis 

• Haha 2

How can a lurcher lack pace for lamping? I genuinely don't understand that. Imo you don't need a fast dog at night. In fact a finely built dog is more of a liability when lamping. They don't take kindly to knocks and run out of gas  more easily.     ???

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jukel123 said:

How can a lurcher lack pace for lamping? I genuinely don't understand that. Imo you don't need a fast dog at night. In fact a finely built dog is more of a liability when lamping. They don't take kindly to knocks and run out of gas  more easily.     ???

Tell that to those bloody golf course rabbits ! LOL !

Cheers.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Tell that to those bloody golf course rabbits ! LOL !

Cheers.

Ah, I hadn't considered that kind of terrain.

13 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

So any lurcher regardless of the cross will be fast enough for lamping no matter what terrain or quarry you are running?

14 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Ah, I hadn't considered that kind of terrain.

At the beginning of last season I thought I’d sharpen my bitch up for the hares on a few golf course/playing field rabbits.

She was surprisingly sharp for a 28” deer/grey; caught the first one, turned the second inside out but lost it in a hedge, turned the third one away from the rough but tumbled over, got up and caught and retrieved the rabbit but I could see she was hurt, a sprained wrist !

5A3E8F60-5786-4122-93EC-7489CF6C06EE.jpeg.888b896db25e604d4130822a0ef8cf31.jpeg

Took me six weeks to get her right and the irony is I’m a great believer in “horses for courses” and “hounds for grounds” so I had no one to blame but myself !

Cheers.

8EEB2B1A-C986-4A27-A8E7-3FF2D0E48CCA.jpeg

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 3
17 minutes ago, downsouth said:

So any lurcher regardless of the cross will be fast enough for lamping no matter what terrain or quarry you are running?

No I stand  corrected. I hadn't considered short grass.

Quarry:_ In my experience you get hares which have learned to head for the hills and of course you get lamp shy rabbits and they will exhaust any animal. If you  are daft enough to run them . But with a good wind and careful use of the lamp, most quarry is bamboozled by a light. I've had roe run into me on several occasions and many a hare or rabbit between my feet with a dog in  close pursuit.

There was a strain of basically greyhound collie called Minshaw lurchers. They used to put to bed tremendous amounts of game. I was amazed at how thick set they were. They weren't lighting fast but  coud run all night because they weren't using explosive, gut busting runs.

Edited by jukel123
4 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

At the beginning of last season I thought I’d sharpen my bitch up for the hares on a few golf course/playing field rabbits.

She was surprisingly sharp for a 28” deer/grey; caught the first one, turned the second inside out but lost it in a hedge, turned the third one away from the rough but tumbled over, got up and caught and retrieved the rabbit but I could see she was hurt, a sprained wrist !

5A3E8F60-5786-4122-93EC-7489CF6C06EE.jpeg.888b896db25e604d4130822a0ef8cf31.jpeg

Took me six weeks to get her right and the irony is I’m a great believer in “horses for courses” and “hounds for grounds” so I had no one to blame but myself !

Cheers.

8EEB2B1A-C986-4A27-A8E7-3FF2D0E48CCA.jpeg

These types ain't the best for golf course rabbits, charts.

Schoolboy, well, veteran lurcher owner, error, eh?!  Lol.

I know you'll take these comments as they are.  👍

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

No I stand  corrected. I hadn't considered short grass.

Quarry:_ In my experience you get hares which have learned to head for the hills and of course you get lamp shy rabbits and they will exhaust any animal. If you  are daft enough to run them . But with a good wind and careful use of the lamp, most quarry is bamboozled by a light. I've had roe run into me on several occasions and many a hare or rabbit between my feet with a dog in  close pursuit.

There was a strain of basically greyhound collie called Minshaw lurchers. They used to put to bed tremendous amounts of game. I was amazed at how thick set they were. They weren't lighting fast but  coud run all night because they weren't using explosive, gut busting runs.

Ooh ! You’ve done it now and mentioned the”M” word ! 
5BE55799-F8F2-4A96-A60B-9B5FDB8F446A.jpeg.a1d0fcc5cc21c32cf7ec04511a1c9d06.jpeg

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1