Non ped whippet x bull

Any one bred or owned the same x ? I’ve owned a few bull whippets out of kc whippets but they just lacked a few yards for lamping if ya wanted a decent catch rate but were handy dogs daytime bushing, out with ferrets terriers , my bull bitch is due to be bred to a dog that’s out of bigland boy lines in a couple days fingers crossed she takes 🤞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Busher100 said:

Any one bred or owned the same x ? I’ve owned a few bull whippets out of kc whippets but they just lacked a few yards for lamping if ya wanted a decent catch rate but were handy dogs daytime bushing, out with ferrets terriers , my bull bitch is due to be bred to a dog that’s out of bigland boy lines in a couple days fingers crossed she takes 🤞

Big land Boy; BWRA 40lb Scratch Champion , 2003.

A70B56A1-BC4F-4531-8151-2F6986900D46.jpeg.235fd3f4afa07472345cc5c3f29c7c3e.jpeg

WHIPPET-DATA.CO.UK

Cheers.

• Like 2

That’s dog I’m using grand sire his mother is out of bigland boy and a staff bitch they was bred by black staff some on here might remember bred back to a 24 inch non ped whippet scratch dog so he be 3/4 non ped whippet 1/4 staff 

• Like 2

I bred a litter years ago about the same time a certain terrierman from S Wales started breeding the pocket rockets.The dog I used was a big 22 1/2 inch dog out of all that Laguna stuff to a very athletic 20" 44lb bitch I owned from some of the best blood that had been over here through the 80s and 90s.All the pups lacked pace to be serious running dogs.A couple of lads had fun with them and they certainly had plenty of bottle but they just weren't quick enough for lamping rabbits or foxes.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, downsouth said:

I bred a litter years ago about the same time a certain terrierman from S Wales started breeding the pocket rockets.The dog I used was a big 22 1/2 inch dog out of all that Laguna stuff to a very athletic 20" 44lb bitch I owned from some of the best blood that had been over here through the 80s and 90s.All the pups lacked pace to be serious running dogs.A couple of lads had fun with them and they certainly had plenty of bottle but they just weren't quick enough for lamping rabbits or foxes.

If they lack pace they’ll still have their uses aslong as keen for the job which these types usually are like you said, but i was hoping using a non ped whippet would put more speed into them considering a non ped whippet is a whippet x greyhound basically and a good few strides in front of a kc working type it be interesting to see if they come out any better for running 

I don’t expect greyhound pace out of it but a dog that can turn with its qaurry and close a gap if needed which the bull whippets out of kc pure whippet types usually do, with a bit of luck I’ll get what I’m after but they could end up with the same problem 🤷‍♂️ we shall see 

Just now, Busher100 said:

I don’t expect greyhound pace out of it but a dog that can turn with its qaurry and close a gap if needed which the bull whippets out of kc pure whippet types usually can’t do, with a bit of luck I’ll get what I’m after but they could end up with the same problem 🤷‍♂️ we shall see 

1 minute ago, Busher100 said:

If they lack pace they’ll still have their uses aslong as keen for the job which these types usually are like you said, but i was hoping using a non ped whippet would put more speed into them considering a non ped whippet is a whippet x greyhound basically and a good few strides in front of a kc working type it be interesting to see if they come out any better for running 

I really can't see what uses a lurcher that lacks pace can really have.Unless you enjoy owning a lurcher that doesn't really catch much. A few of the litter I bred ended up 22" and looked quite racey but we're still miles slower than the 2 bull greyhound bitches I owned which were only 23 and 23 1/2 inches and weighed more.I just don't think whippet blood carries over well when crossing it with bull blood.I know a few people that have had them and all said they struggled to make up the distance on anything.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, downsouth said:

I really can't see what uses a lurcher that lacks pace can really have.Unless you enjoy owning a lurcher that doesn't really catch much. A few of the litter I bred ended up 22" and looked quite racey but we're still miles slower than the 2 bull greyhound bitches I owned which were only 23 and 23 1/2 inches and weighed more.I just don't think whippet blood carries over well when crossing it with bull blood.I know a few people that have had them and all said they struggled to make up the distance on anything.

Yeah I’ve owned a few bull whippets myself mate out of good stuff and I liked them I just thought they could do with a bit more top end if possible for retrieving foxes but otherwise I liked them and I thought maybe using a non ped racing type will make a bit of difference, maybe not but I’m gonna give it ago it’ll still be useful even if using the non ped blood don’t make difference 

7 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

Yeah I’ve owned a few bull whippets myself mate out of good stuff and I liked them I just thought they could do with a bit more top end if possible for retrieving foxes but otherwise I liked them and I thought maybe using a non ped racing type will make a bit of difference, maybe not but I’m gonna give it ago it’ll still be useful even if using the non ped blood don’t make difference 

Nothing ventured nothing gained.If I was gunna go down that route I think I'd still wanna go for a stud that leaned a bit more towards the greyhound

• Like 3
1 minute ago, downsouth said:

Nothing ventured nothing gained.If I was gunna go down that route I think I'd still wanna go for a stud that leaned a bit more towards the greyhound

Exactly that mate 🤞 the stud is 21 inch and a rocket his sire was a fair size at 24 so the odd dog might throw as big as that but a 21 or 22 inch bitch be plenty for me if they have the build for it, the bitch is 19 inch and a good working bitch very athletic I like her anyway