Opening up a new topic, I think. Friend of mine was having a chat. Amongst other things he had just shot 2 Jays. Now in my earlier days making or tying my own flies was the way to go. He said that from now on I could have any wings. SO. Is this of interest to anyone? Also, when I was making walking sticks, my signature was crossed jay feathers on the crook. Jok.

• Like 4

I used to shoot them with a webley tracker and give them to an old lad Jimmy  jay wings/hare masks etc for his fly tying when I was a young teen...in exchange he used to make me fox snares,spinners and Devon minnows for the river ,I was out digging with him when I saw my first black dog at work 92/93 ishDSC_6287.JPG.c45e562bdf1077bedec1458fe988fc7a.JPG....went home and begged my dad for one👍

Just bought my lad a little fly  starter set,hes trout mad,but been using spinners,soft baits etc,been pestering me for a while, ordered him a big box of various flies off Temu...knock some up,and I will buy them from you for my lad Jok👍DSC_4891.JPG.191fbd32a8a20b2d638ce5654c4bc170.JPG

• Like 7

Good morning DC and Mackem. Well, a gentleman off here, Wyeman, had all my trout gear including somewhere in the region of 800 flies. I’d love to dress some for your lad but sad to say my right side won’t allow it. Did you try the skill yourself? Jok.

Had a few goes at making a couple when I was younger Jok,but if Im honest,I didnt have the attention span😁 its something I may get into when life slows down abit more👍

• Like 1

I tie my own flies, and nowadays i have no confidence in using any fishing flies other than ones i tie myself, and believe me i am not a master craftsman! Now the chap who was best man at my wedding is a cabinet maker...you should see the flies he can tie! 

• Like 1

We buy lots of flies here. I get them tied from a geezer in Kenya. I WhatsApp him the patterns, he sends me back his efforts, I say yay or nay. Give him half the dollar for materials, he sends me the order, then I pay the balance by PayPal. 

Very good arrangement Cuts out the middle men and we both benefit from the deal. Been doing this for about 5 years or so.

He does everything from small nymphs to large Pike flies.

Did you forget something lee ??

On 13/06/2024 at 20:03, jok said:

Opening up a new topic, I think. Friend of mine was having a chat. Amongst other things he had just shot 2 Jays. Now in my earlier days making or tying my own flies was the way to go. He said that from now on I could have any wings. SO. Is this of interest to anyone? Also, when I was making walking sticks, my signature was crossed jay feathers on the crook. Jok.

Used to be quite a good little earner back 40 odd years ago the Jays wings hare masks and squirrel tails all 50p each from cobbledicks in Cornwall not as much as the fox pelts but worth keeping think like most things the chinks have probably cornered that market as well nowadays 

On 17/06/2024 at 01:41, leegreen said:

We buy lots of flies here. I get them tied from a geezer in Kenya. I WhatsApp him the patterns, he sends me back his efforts, I say yay or nay. Give him half the dollar for materials, he sends me the order, then I pay the balance by PayPal. 

Very good arrangement Cuts out the middle men and we both benefit from the deal. Been doing this for about 5 years or so.

He does everything from small nymphs to large Pike flies.

That’s a nice little arrangement and everybody is happy, 

On 18/06/2024 at 08:48, Greyman said:

Did you forget something lee ??

Not sure what happened there. If you click on the text, then click on the icon, you should get a nice piccy

• Like 1

The boss of the tradesmen at work used to tie his own flies and take his boys fishing i gave him everything he wanted wings , tails etc and got a lot of jobs done in return handy bartering items