46 minutes ago, Rickshaw swami said:

Being born into a dogmans household I learned valuable lessons early on.Whether its humans or hunting dogs 50% are a waste of oxygen.The other 49% are just average.But that 1%,When the stars align perfectly and you get an above average  worker.It just ain't nothing better.

10 year ago I made a breeding that produced a runty pup.I tried to give her away but nobody wanted her so I kept her.Named her Mugz.

She has worked well since her very first time.Never put a foot wrong.Last week I acquired permission with the biggest farmer in my area.The farmer took me to a groundhog set.Collared up the 10 year old bitch.She settled at 2 foot.Broke through to a dead bitch with a groundhog in front of her.The farmer shot the groundhog.I took the terrier and groundhog home and buried them together right where this terrier spent her entire life.It felt like I buried part of me.Im not for sure if I want to continue on with the terrier game.

Mugz was mute and needed rest but was dug  on raccoon,opossum,fox,otter,small beaver,armadillo,groundhog and muskrat.

The last picture taken of her was 3 weeks ago when she was dug to a chicken killer.

Screenshot_20240604-180544_Gallery.jpg.917d69feac78b66149d638d211726043.jpg

Rest in peace Mugz.Love you.The world is a darker place now.

Most of us who've worked terriers any length of time have been in the same boat mate, its not easy losing a good 1 but its part of the game unfortunately, head up and crack on mate

• Like 8
On 10/06/2024 at 19:27, Rickshaw swami said:

Being born into a dogmans household I learned valuable lessons early on.Whether its humans or hunting dogs 50% are a waste of oxygen.The other 49% are just average.But that 1%,When the stars align perfectly and you get an above average  worker.It just ain't nothing better.

10 year ago I made a breeding that produced a runty pup.I tried to give her away but nobody wanted her so I kept her.Named her Mugz.

She has worked well since her very first time.Never put a foot wrong.Last week I acquired permission with the biggest farmer in my area.The farmer took me to a groundhog set.Collared up the 10 year old bitch.She settled at 2 foot.Broke through to a dead bitch with a groundhog in front of her.The farmer shot the groundhog.I took the terrier and groundhog home and buried them together right where this terrier spent her entire life.It felt like I buried part of me.Im not for sure if I want to continue on with the terrier game.

Mugz was mute and needed rest but was dug  on raccoon,opossum,fox,otter,small beaver,armadillo,groundhog and muskrat.

The last picture taken of her was 3 weeks ago when she was dug to a chicken killer.

Screenshot_20240604-180544_Gallery.jpg.917d69feac78b66149d638d211726043.jpg

Rest in peace Mugz.Love you.The world is a darker place now.

As you wrote when the stars align, if she had no been the runt of the litter you would not be feeling the loss but would also not have enjoyed owning and working her. That's life.

• Like 1
On 10/06/2024 at 13:52, steve t said:

It's always tough when you loose a good one. At least she died doing what she loved and you have take the knock and get back in the saddle

On 10/06/2024 at 14:15, Bakerboy said:

Most of us who've worked terriers any length of time have been in the same boat mate, its not easy losing a good 1 but its part of the game unfortunately, head up and crack on mate

Thanks.I'm sure by September I will be ready to go.Ive lost terriers before but this one has been rougher for some reason.

18 hours ago, eastcoast said:

As you wrote when the stars align, if she had no been the runt of the litter you would not be feeling the loss but would also not have enjoyed owning and working her. That's life.

I think you're right.I lost the runts sister in her second season.Although it was gut wrenching it wasn't as bad as losing the runt.

Sorry about the little dog Rick, she was a good size for over here in Oz with most fox dens being dug out rabbit holes. I think we all hope our dogs pass when working but most don't and it's heartbreaking seeing them with illness.

On 11/06/2024 at 04:27, Rickshaw swami said:

Im not for sure if I want to continue on with the terrier game.

I lost something in me when my old whippet/stag died, Like part of your hunting soul.

• Like 1