Young minds maybe

Just part of growing up possibly? When I 1st got a place to kennel dogs I went a bit mad for a few years. Like a kid in a sweet shop. Took a while for the penny to drop. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Does anyone under 35 keep a dog for a full season???? I know enough young and old who chop and change types at least every season... always chasing a dream...lots dont actually know what they got,till

I used to be offered a lot of unwanted dogs, almost all were dogs that had piss poor owners, who  were happy to blame the breed or the dog. I made useful dogs out of some, others weren't cut out for a

100%, have look on Facebook, it embarrassing reading it. They say 10 month pitx grey started catching well, need smaller dog. What a load of crap.  1st it 10 month old, it still not developed physical

13 hours ago, shaaark said:

Been like that over here, for years.

People trying and expecting pups to be doing allsorts, by the time it's a year old.  Usually ran the guts out of em from 8-9 months old.  

Madness.

I think a lot of these people shouldn't even own a dog. To me hunting is all about the dogs, their welfare and seeing them working at their peak fitness. Unless you are catching stuff to survive or a pro pest controller the dog doesn't need to be a world beater at any age and deff not as a youngster.

• Like 4

Does anyone under 35 keep a dog for a full season???? I know enough young and old who chop and change types at least every season... always chasing a dream...lots dont actually know what they got,till its gone...

• Like 6
55 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Does anyone under 35 keep a dog for a full season???? I know enough young and old who chop and change types at least every season... always chasing a dream...lots dont actually know what they got,till its gone...

Spot on that, because if I gone on  just Buck appearance, when he was 8-12 months old, he looked like a fookin young wolf lol. But by 18 months old, he pull down big stuff, kill a fox, and get good bag of rabbits, so you deff got to give you dog time, more lot sighthound  or drop of pit in them, 18-3 year old to get it full power, stamina, pace, and temp really. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

I do 👌 had my old bitch since I was 19 Now I’m 31 and got a 7 and 8 year old dogs both been here since pups ,  I know a lot good young dog men most the older guys talk nonsense half the time living in the past 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Wales1234 said:

I do 👌 had my old bitch since I was 19 Now I’m 31 and got a 7 and 8 year old dogs both been here since pups ,  I know a lot good young dog men most the older guys talk nonsense half the time living in the past 

Respect your elders u pig

I used to be offered a lot of unwanted dogs, almost all were dogs that had piss poor owners, who  were happy to blame the breed or the dog. I made useful dogs out of some, others weren't cut out for a working life. I think I took them because I felt sorry for dogs, their owners had never given them the required time. For a number of years now I won't & don't take any period, any offers are met with a flat out NO! Anything less has them turning up a few days later, saying oh I was just passing and since I had fideo in the car I thought I'd just pop in and say hi. At the time, I wanted to breed and work my own dogs, some pups started early, others later, every now and again a real breathtaking star popped up and if I was to ask myself what did those dogs have or show as a tiny pup that was common to them all, and I can only think of one thing, they seem to share, was they seemed to miss the whole stage of being a pup, they all acted like they were all grown up from their very first walk out, it appeared like the brain was ready there, they just had to wait on the body to catch up. I waited on every litter hoping, watching, praying…well not praying.... anyway I wanted the next star, I had to have another, thankfully that stage has long faided .... I made so many mistakes when my body and mind were both young, I had to travel that path to arrive at a time now when I know the really important stuff,  I'm just happy to accept the dog for what it is and to enjoy our shared time together. 

• Like 6