Tracking collars..

Who uses them then? Which make & model? If you've tried several why did you stick to a certain one (if you did?) & or discard a certain one? What's the pro's & con's to a certain make/model? As you can see I've a few myself.

IMG_20230929_072845.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

Garmin for the runners,pieps box and bellman collars for the tykes👍

Which version of the Garmin do you use Daniel? I've got the old Astro 220's the Alpha 100 & the Alpha 200i,being honest when up in the mountains the newest I own the Alpha 200i can very often lose 'track' of the dog,I do like it though for the built-in In Reach facility,for about £12 a month subscription it's worth paying in my opinion as where I go I can almost guarantee mobile phone's will not work so having the In Reach in the 200i to send messages & or worst case scenario hitting the SOS button should something go wrong & get the mountain rescue on their way is something I find useful especially at the age I am. My old Astro's are more reliable than both versions of the Alpha's I own to be honest & they are still my most used even being 17 year's old now. I also have a Sportdog Tek which I use,it's never been a problem to be fair to it,it's the original Tek 1 so nothing fancy on it but it works perfectly. The Dogtrace is by far the best in forestry or thick cover,no bells or whistles but I find it to be very accurate regardless of terrain unlike the Alpha's I own. Another issue I've found with the newer Alpha is if I drive to a different location from my previous trip out the hand unit & collar don't connect up together & I have to delete the dog off the hand unit & re-add it as a new collar,bit of a faff that I thought would of been resolved in a software update but as of last use hadn't been.The Alpha 100 seems less prone to problems than the newer one. One thing I have learnt is I wouldn't go out hunting without putting a tracking collar on the dog's,it really can save some stress I've certainly learnt that much.

• Like 1

Think its an Astro 320 and DC 50 collars? bought it off a lad on here,few yrs back,only use it up on the hills and big plantations,they dont eat or drink,so handy to have one put away in the arsenal 😉👍DSC_1756.JPG.fc8a04646e74ad6b38393723e50b73fb.JPGDSC_1771.JPG.e343a1cf51bb954ae63953fed440be5e.JPG

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Think its an Astro 320 and DC 50 collars? bought it off a lad on here,few yrs back,only use it up on the hills and big plantations,they dont eat or drink,so handy to have one put away in the arsenal 😉👍DSC_1756.JPG.fc8a04646e74ad6b38393723e50b73fb.JPGDSC_1771.JPG.e343a1cf51bb954ae63953fed440be5e.JPG

Top job bud,I think the old Astro's are the best of the lot myself.

Im shit with technology,this one I have here,I can use no problem,can store new earths etc by dropping a breadcrumb? Find the way back to the truck etc, never had to download anything for it,like I said,I would rather have one in a draw/glovebox somewhere,so its there when you need it👍

Ive accumulated quite a few mk 1 ferret finders/collars,bellman collars ,boxes,longnets  etc over the yrs..you dont sell them on, because it cost you double to start up again...learnt that lesson as a teen🙄👍

• Like 5
4 hours ago, C.green said:

Then dogtrace ones are just as accurate as a good garmin and better for smaller dogs the collars fit loads better

Yeah,all I want to see is the compass screen & a directional arrow pointing the way to the dog & to let me know how far away & the Dogtrace does that superbly..were I advising anyone to buy a tracking collar I'd advise them to buy the Dogtrace,it does what needs doing & does it well,no bells no whistles but it's the lightest collar & like you say the best for any size of dog..cheers for the input matey.

• Like 2

Iv got Astro 430 or 420 with t5 mini collars it’s got a lower update time up dates ever 2.5 seconds something like that don’t leave the house with out it 

edited to add also got the garmin watch it links to so don’t have to get the handset out 

IMG_6422.jpeg

• Like 5

Currently use the tek 2. Really like it to be fair. Did have the dogtrace x 20 an rated it.  Also had the tek 1.0 all done a job.

Going to buy another x20 as a back up . Like u say good to have 

• Like 1
On 07/06/2024 at 16:54, johnrussell84 said:

Currently use the tek 2. Really like it to be fair. Did have the dogtrace x 20 an rated it.  Also had the tek 1.0 all done a job.

Going to buy another x20 as a back up . Like u say good to have 

Is there any English suppliers for x20? Looking for one myself 

Been using the dog trace for about 3 seasons now, been faultless, nothing to fancy just a compass and distance in meters. After using a tracker don’t think I would run a dog without  one now, no matter what the chosen quarry is as everyone knows you never know what’s round the corner and where they can end up. 

On 05/06/2024 at 12:45, C.green said:

Then dogtrace ones are just as accurate as a good garmin and better for smaller dogs the collars fit loads better

I've got the old dogtrace one's, was good . But the collars a huge !