Nearly put the post up a month ago?

1 hour ago, Busher100 said:

Get well soon mate šŸ‘ get yourself a little bushing Russell mate will keep ya company for the rest your days and get you out for a short walk here and thereĀ 

Thanks mate, I've always said on here, that there some real good folks on here, who help each other when your in the shit. And I know if did put the post up a month ago, when was really in trouble walking etc. People would tried really hard help me out even take old Buck of me for a week os till I could walk proper again, I wish done back then 5 weeks ago. OK we all live in different areas etc. Maybe if somebody near might have helped. But bit better waking with support on, be careful when I take it off, prob take couple months to heal, and hoping it does go back to how it was. Not great but lot better than it is now. Prob won't get another dog after Buck gone, it be hard don't get me wrongĀ  after 38 years with Lurchers, prob feel bit lost at 1st. I think only one type I ever get, would be a none ped racing whippet, I did have bitch 20in 20lb nice fast little thing good racer and rabbits. I did like the males down the track they hit 23 in 35lb,Ā  strong little dogs punch well above there weight. I that be the only type no get,Ā  OK for moochingĀ  racing, and easy to keep. But that long way off as old Buck plodding along OK as yet, hope I can do the same in one piece lol. Ray

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry to hear about your fall Ray,...it sometimes seems that when you get old,...one terrible thing happensĀ  in your life,. and gets followed on by anotherĀ šŸ™„ Now that I have lost a few stone, I a

Has a fall on the road, coming back with BuckĀ  about 10. 30pmĀ  month ago. I go in this feild by me, nothing in it, no rabbits as such couple that's it,, odd fox. Was couple munjacks few years ago but

A good read , Ray. Reminds me of a tale Iā€™ve told on here in the past; me and LDR were out coursing first light up Northumberland and then two tractors appeared on opposite sides of the field and came

Posted Images

16 hours ago, toolebox said:

Bad knees are the pits, both mine were replaced last year, and I'm pain free in that respect.Ā I'm now 67 years old and had a keyhole operation 8 years ago. AtĀ thatĀ time, the DoctorĀ reported that he had to remove a lot more of the feathering along the edge of the damaged cartage, that stops any moreĀ damage, however it means what is left will spread out thinner in the jointĀ speeding up the wear and tear process.Ā Back then, whenĀ I went under the knife, I asked the Doctor if it was ok to go pig hunting the very next day. He told while I couldn't undo his repair, the knee might swell up tight. So off I went hunting the next day, all to my wife's dismay. Now fast-forward ten years to a time, I had, due to a bad fall, badlyĀ damagedĀ theĀ second joint in my thumb. ThisĀ joint couldn't be repaired, so it had to be removed, and the two bones shaved and pined together. The dressings required changing over a long weekend, so I was asked to come into the doctors rooms where the nurse would, take a look at the wound & replace the bandage. While I was sitting in one of the rooms, the phone rang out in the main office & the nurse went to answer it. SittingĀ there looking about I happened to look down and saw my name on an open file, I couldn't help myself and to be fair they were my records. IĀ just lifted a couple of papers out of the way & had a wee read. It was a report in full, of the time I'd had the keyhole surgery on my knee, and the following notes "Mr Toole asked if it was ok for him to go hunting the very next day, which he did, and I know think his knee has not had a single day'sĀ rest since ". I quickly sat back down & on thinking about my comments I'd justĀ read I roared with laugher .....

As we get older, one health problem then leads to another as the body starts to break down aided by the lifestyle we have lead, and I've heard a nasty rumourĀ " no one's getting out alive" My hope is I don't get to the stage I'm shitting my pants and fail to remember my loved ones, that would be a bitch for them. The Red Indians use to speak of a good death, one in battle, but I'd settle for kicking the bucket while I was asleep.

Hi there , been to nz twice now ,when i get a break from running my pest control business ,long flight from uk to your north island ..Took all my family my 2 sons and wife

Had met some young kiwi s in ipswich suffolk,and had some good hunting with Seanad his brother (came over for a couple of years before joining the army in uk )

Pig Hunting and other things these guys would talk about ,and i said to myself i must put it down on my bucket lists..At around 40 /44 yrs old we went over.for around 3 weeks i believeĀ 

The views in north island and hiring a car ,we did it cheap by staying in camp site lodges .loads of things to see ,all the tourist spots etc .Great friendly people if fact the nicest ones i have ever met iin my whole life.

Cut to the chase ,a pig hunter who made dvds on pig hunting every day ,invited us to stay with them ,can you believe it ,never met him or his family ,bread callsĀ 

lifes a boar was his company ,nice guy ,church goer ,but his love for pig dogs and hunting was in him .all he lived for was hunting and putting food on the table

we got up every morning he took us fishing and hunting in the bush with his dogs

jesus i was fit as a butchers doing ,but man they kept walking up down all over ,and i called it a jungle we hunted in .Great Sport ,and even greater friends we made

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 6

TOOLEBOX,

We had a great trip ,and got out to hunt with some great fellow hunters for free ,as im not a rich use tourist paying for sport

Bredan lived nr mount demount .taenrgki Ā mountain ,the only highest snow clad mountain there ,see it when got up and back in bed

Ā 

I went down to south island and again ,got to shoot some thar nanny's on a massive ranch .high up in there mountains using a 7,62

just past christchurch ,GeraldineĀ 

guide took me up and i paid for ammo and gave him a tip for taking me out shooting these animalsĀ 

what a trip what lovely kind people .all wanted to help us british touristsĀ 

• Like 3

Hey up Ray,so sorry to hear that you lost your wife quite recently bud. I feel your pain literally regarding your recent mishap,I have mobility issues with my knees,hips,ankles & more so my back,some days are better than other's here,none are pain free,I think as we age pain is just part of daily life mate. Hope the knee improves with time & your able to get out & about without the knee brace. Like yourself I've said no more dog's for me once these lot have gone,I always said from a young age if I couldn't give a dog the work it needs to make the grade I wouldn't have one & that's just about where I find myself now. Glad to see you on here albeit not in exactly the best of situations,good health to you Ray,your a good sort who I've been fortunate enough to meet in the flesh,I truthfully wish you all the very best matey. Watch how you go Ray..take care buddy ...

Andy

• Like 3

I sympathise Ray, not sure many dog walkers would want my two. They are Jekyll and Hyde, going from sweet as you like to complete psycho for deer and unfortunately cats, in fact I had a similar injury to you earlier this year when they saw a muntjac, I didn't , and they pulled me so hard it wrenched my knee. After seeing a physio I used a brace with hinged metal struts and all was good after about 6 weeks

Photo of my male whippet exactly as you describe, great fun for a bit of racing but loads of stress hunting as he has no concept of danger. Also at 36 lb he can pull like a train šŸ™ƒ

PXL_20240212_123931698.jpg

• Like 6
19 hours ago, Luckee legs said:

I sympathise Ray, not sure many dog walkers would want my two. They are Jekyll and Hyde, going from sweet as you like to complete psycho for deer and unfortunately cats, in fact I had a similar injury to you earlier this year when they saw a muntjac, I didn't , and they pulled me so hard it wrenched my knee. After seeing a physio I used a brace with hinged metal struts and all was good after about 6 weeks

Photo of my male whippet exactly as you describe, great fun for a bit of racing but loads of stress hunting as he has no concept of danger. Also at 36 lb he can pull like a train šŸ™ƒ

PXL_20240212_123931698.jpg

not had a cat as heĀ  lol, are both your dogs none ped racing whippets ?Ā  Ā i like him . yeh the males were full on down the track , i know they just skin and bone, but they were strong like your dog, look at greyhoundsĀ  ok alot biggerĀ  26-28inĀ  60 85 lb , i worked at racing kennels for a Brum owner , was there 4 months, i picked up few things thetre from him regards runningĀ  dogs and he said ped greyhound'sĀ  and none ped racing whippets , are very deceivingĀ  dogs regards strength , and he was right, when i walked my 4 dogs he had 50 dogs there , me him and another woman walked them . one day aĀ  think rabbit other side of our fence , must have just moved a bitĀ  . well the woman holding her 4 dogs they seen the rabbit, well the bloody things dragged her 1/2 the length of a football field , fair play she never loosed them, as they kick off on the other dogs out there all muzzled , but these prats would kill each other if you let them. thats why you only could walk certain dogs together , i coulnt get to her, neither could manger , you have put the dogs back 1st. greyhounds do make great pets 100% , but if ever they get really wound up, youĀ  got to be really careful. thankfullyĀ  none ped racing whippets are only 23 in 36 lbĀ  Ā lolĀ Ā 

On 03/06/2024 at 11:43, fred90 said:

good luck with your recovery mate šŸ‘ I don't like this getting old malarkey either but I don't fancy the alternative.Ā 

My brother always said Only one thing worse than getting old and thats Not getting old!! Atb

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, bird said:

not had a cat as heĀ  lol, are both your dogs none ped racing whippets ?Ā  Ā i like him . yeh the males were full on down the track , i know they just skin and bone, but they were strong like your dog, look at greyhoundsĀ  ok alot biggerĀ  26-28inĀ  60 85 lb , i worked at racing kennels for a Brum owner , was there 4 months, i picked up few things thetre from him regards runningĀ  dogs and he said ped greyhound'sĀ  and none ped racing whippets , are very deceivingĀ  dogs regards strength , and he was right, when i walked my 4 dogs he had 50 dogs there , me him and another woman walked them . one day aĀ  think rabbit other side of our fence , must have just moved a bitĀ  . well the woman holding her 4 dogs they seen the rabbit, well the bloody things dragged her 1/2 the length of a football field , fair play she never loosed them, as they kick off on the other dogs out there all muzzled , but these prats would kill each other if you let them. thats why you only could walk certain dogs together , i coulnt get to her, neither could manger , you have put the dogs back 1st. greyhounds do make great pets 100% , but if ever they get really wound up, youĀ  got to be really careful. thankfullyĀ  none ped racing whippets are only 23 in 36 lbĀ  Ā lolĀ Ā 

One is a collie greyhound, big lad at 25 inches, much bigger than two other first x and heavier than a 3/4 cross I had. Refused to chase a lure for 3 years until I got our Whippet and now he doesn't want to miss out PXL_20240521_192936151.jpg.d6b5622917b52484aae8f77165e3a743.jpgšŸ˜ƒ

Whippet is ped out of a dog called Stig, unfortunately he's a little too big for ped racing but we have a lot of fun at club and country fair lure coursing. On timed dashes he's one of the fastest, interestingly in same event Whippet x greyhounds of the same height are often quicker.

Probably the reason mine are muscle packed is my wife and I run canicross with them, it's great we can still run but being over 60 it's not as fast as the dogs like šŸ˜œ so they do a fair amount of pulling šŸ˜‚

Don't forget to do all those boring rehab exercises and very Best wishes for a good recovery šŸ¤ž

PXL_20230219_161708794.jpg

PXL_20231119_130438686.jpg

PXL_20231227_133319441.jpg

• Like 5

šŸ˜†

18 hours ago, Dinosaurs said:

My brother always said Only one thing worse than getting old and thats Not getting old!! Atb

That's very true but strangelyĀ very funny Dinosaurs!Ā šŸ˜…šŸ˜…

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 1

I must admit, to stillĀ having about 22 or is it 23 dogs , oh who cares. I've cut back over the last 18 months, my Mrs "the Boss"had me agreeĀ to no more new dogs arriving, and it makes good sense. It takes a good chunk of the day to feed and excise them all. If I have to pick up the waste from the butchers, add in another 3 hours to sort it all into typesĀ like pure, meat, small bones, large bones and waste fat along with anything that's not suitableĀ suchĀ as bacon trim. I thought I'd have the dogs out hunting a lot more than I have since I stopped full-time work last Xmas. I feel guilty, It's not much of a life for the dogs, but once I manage to get some of the bigger projects out of the way, that should free up some time as I've got 3 x 4-month-old hounds pups I want to start.Ā I have a truck load of places I canĀ go, it would take me the best part of a year to get even round half them.Ā I hope your health allows you, bird, to at least have a dog for company and the odd walk. Speaking for my self, I've always gone at life full bore, I don't know any other way, that has left me with a few running wounds but looking forward I just want to be able to do some of the things I use to do & I'm sure lots of others on here, than are on the wrong side of 65 feel the same way. It's the sport that brings us altogether along with all the common wants & expectations, even from half a world away, one that is changing at lighting speed. I'd like to think the new generation will know the thrill of watching a running dog in full flight in pursuit of its prey, however it doesn't look likelyĀ and that leaves me sad, bloody sad .ATB Tb.Ā 

17 hours ago, Luckee legs said:

One is a collie greyhound, big lad at 25 inches, much bigger than two other first x and heavier than a 3/4 cross I had. Refused to chase a lure for 3 years until I got our Whippet and now he doesn't want to miss out PXL_20240521_192936151.jpg.d6b5622917b52484aae8f77165e3a743.jpgšŸ˜ƒ

Whippet is ped out of a dog called Stig, unfortunately he's a little too big for ped racing but we have a lot of fun at club and country fair lure coursing. On timed dashes he's one of the fastest, interestingly in same event Whippet x greyhounds of the same height are often quicker.

Probably the reason mine are muscle packed is my wife and I run canicross with them, it's great we can still run but being over 60 it's not as fast as the dogs like šŸ˜œ so they do a fair amount of pulling šŸ˜‚

Don't forget to do all those boring rehab exercises and very Best wishes for a good recovery šŸ¤ž

PXL_20230219_161708794.jpg

PXL_20231119_130438686.jpg

PXL_20231227_133319441.jpg

Wow, I don't think I've seen a whippet that colour before, luckeeĀ legs,Ā it's a very striking looking dog and in tip-top condition might I add.Ā Ā 

2 hours ago, toolebox said:

Wow, I don't think I've seen a whippet that colour before, luckeeĀ legs,Ā it's a very striking looking dog and in tip-top condition might I add.Ā Ā 

You mean the light coloured dog, the black dog think he wrote collie x grey, well that what it looks likes less I've read it wrong.?Ā 

1 hour ago, bird said:

You mean the light coloured dog, the black dog think he wrote collie x grey, well that what it looks likes less I've read it wrong.?Ā 

Absolutely right, whippet is a sandy colour (blue fawn apparently) and collie grey is black and white in classic border collie markings.

Thanks , they are in good shape, great for hunting, bad news for arms and knees if they see something they like when on the lead šŸ˜ƒ . And the really bad news is now my children are long since away from home there are not many people who would walk them if me or my wife couldn't šŸ˜­

4 hours ago, Luckee legs said:

Absolutely right, whippet is a sandy colour (blue fawn apparently) and collie grey is black and white in classic border collie markings.

Thanks , they are in good shape, great for hunting, bad news for arms and knees if they see something they like when on the lead šŸ˜ƒ . And the really bad news is now my children are long since away from home there are not many people who would walk them if me or my wife couldn't šŸ˜­

Well I really hope mate that it never happens, I don't know how got through that 1st week, the pain was unreal,Ā  I had to feed Buck in the garden, after got back from walking him and little woody, I just could walk to his kennel/compound I was into much pain. He good like that, he dinner in bowl on the back lawn, then go back in his kennel him self. Buck never pulled on the lead on dog walk, but lamping was prat for 20 mins, he pull you of your feet easy, then after say 15 runs calm a bit. But always had very good stamina he runall night no prob. I walking OK with the support on, take it of when not walking or anything physical, but I can tell it still injured I give it another. Month, then that be just over 2 months then. Prob be longer for me with my age sadly.Ā 

• Like 1