SGC.  Unless you've got incredibly close pests to control, or the reason I've given below, I wouldn't bother.

An air rifle is far more efficient in every way.

The only reason I got one, was to teach the children gun safety. It was fun for them to shoot plastic milk cartons that were hung in the trees too.

4 minutes ago, leegreen said:

There's no video

For some reason the video doesn't show in my comment but it's clickaable in the 'quoted' in your reply.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, leegreen said:

SGC.  Unless you've got incredibly close pests to control, or the reason I've given below, I wouldn't bother.

An air rifle is far more efficient in every way.

The only reason I got one, was to teach the children gun safety. It was fun for them to shoot plastic milk cartons that were hung in the trees too.

I always get rats in the shed next to the property. When I shoot them in side with the .410 it's peppering the galvanised sheeting, seen this and thought it might do less damage. There are 2 for sale near me £120 and £140, now I know it's SGC I'll get one just for novelty value.

• Like 1

novelty value, yes. They are good fun for a little while.  Not sure if they'd kill a rat. 

I shot a Woodie out the window of the truck, on the way back from school with my son. At about 15m or less, I had to chase it  and shoot it again. My son at the age of 8 said "its not very good is it Dad" 😆 I have never shot anything but targets since.

• Haha 1
On 01/06/2024 at 19:03, DogMagic2 said:

You need a shotgun licence for it. I used to have one. Its great for close range rats. Other than that it isnt really very usefull. 

It would be for rats at 10 yardish in a galvy shed. .410 is making too many holes.

Be careful with this. Unless the law has changed if the barrel is shorter than 24" then a FAC required. The vintage foreign garden guns that we used to play around with were small carbine sized things. Haven't watched the video so my comment may be irrelevant.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, PLEDGEY said:

It would be for rats at 10 yardish in a galvy shed. .410 is making too many holes.

Yeah you wont want to go much more than 10 yards. I shot a rat at less than that in the garden once and didnt kill it. Not saying i was aiming very well though. f****d it up though including a broken leg so i was able to catch it and smack it with the stock. Still, it wont be eating any more of my dads racing pigeons alive ;) 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

Be careful with this. Unless the law has changed if the barrel is shorter than 24" then a FAC required. The vintage foreign garden guns that we used to play around with were small carbine sized things. Haven't watched the video so my comment may be irrelevant.

I've just managed to watch the video and of course the 24" barrel thing is mentioned in the comments. Doh!

I bought an nie-on brand new one, from my Local Gun Shop..

The salesman was giving me a right old spiel about how good it would be for the ferreting job.🤣

Of course,.. I knew better,.... and had other tasks in mind for the wee fecker....

After a bit of a haggle, he took my £25 ,....I was more than satisfied with the deal....😉

Edited by OldPhil

Remember my older cousin having one in the 70s i am sure it was a webley bolt action and due to its small cartridges it weren't much cop for dropping a few birds unlike the webley 410 bolt action was a decent gun and tales of shots were often told of the distance these guns were capable of dropping stuff at. I think the name is apt for the 9mm Garden gun and i would think in years gone by when the house sparrow was more numerous and a pest when planting seeds this little gun was the choice for allotment owners and such like to thin the sparrows out.

I had a 9mm single bolt one, but cashed it in as someone was desperate & couldnt find one. Got given a 12mm single bolt & a bag of cartridge fairly recently as the fella was paranoid about having it around & grandkids etc (no cabinet) only ever put one cartridge through it. The garden guns are quite popular over here where lots of folk have a kitchen garden. 

Best gun ive had & most fun was my investarm folding o/u .410 when ferreting.