What do people think is the best canary for feeders as I’ve had a few hens not feed or squash young but have brought all my canaries from petshops so probably brought everyone shit 

Some lads keep their own lines of mongrel feeders but personally I don't think you can go wrong with irish fancies. 

I had bad luck with dimorphics for years but the past couple of years they've not really let me down.

If they're squashing chicks like they aren't getting off is there something disturbing them in the shed?

1 hour ago, gnipper said:

Some lads keep their own lines of mongrel feeders but personally I don't think you can go wrong with irish fancies. 

I had bad luck with dimorphics for years but the past couple of years they've not really let me down.

If they're squashing chicks like they aren't getting off is there something disturbing them in the shed?

Ok I’ll try source a few Irish for next season I have raza and fife which heard they should be pretty decent, my neighbour cat goes on aviary of a night which could be causing it 

I would have thought raza and fifes would be doing the job for you anyway mate but like you say if they're from untrusted sources they could be cast offs.

17 hours ago, Abullx said:

What do people think is the best canary for feeders as I’ve had a few hens not feed or squash young but have brought all my canaries from petshops so probably brought everyone 

I've just sold of youngen from first rounds to local pet shop but my birds have british bird council rings on from this year. You should always check if they've not got closed rings in a pet shop with the year on dont buy. And specially if there a couple of years old. Like nipper said it's every body's cast off's. Plus alot just breed & give the birds just seed & eggfood. Never seen vegetables or fruit , insects. Just breed for the money. Many aren't proud of their stock or what they breed. 

13 hours ago, Abullx said:

Ok I’ll try source a few Irish for next season I have raza and fife which heard they should be pretty decent, my neighbour cat goes on aviary of a night which could be causing it 

I've sold many lads these Timbrados an not had any complaints my pal just bred some mules off a hen a gifted him from last seasons breeding. Bred some nice mules she's just on with second round now. Just left her too her own. Feed topped up bit of broc an apple some eggfood a mixed him up with grog in. Now she's on her second round of eggs. Goldfinch cocks doing the job too. 

Screenshot_20240531_110520_WhatsApp.jpg

2 hours ago, Bangersanmash said:

I've sold many lads these Timbrados not had any complaints my pal just bred some mules off a hen a gifted him from last seasons breeding. Bred some nice mules she's just on with second round now. Just left her to her own. Feed topped up bit of broc an apple some eggfood a mixed him up with grog in. Now she's on her second round of eggs. Goldfinch cocks doing the job too. 

Screenshot_20240531_110520_WhatsApp.jpg

Ok mate fair enough I’ll look at rings in future and I’ve sorted someone to breed me a Load of fife and other mixes for end of the season it’s just I finally get a couple of linnet and goldy to go down and then feeders not doing there job just gets abit annoying but i that’s birds I guess 

20 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Have you not let the natives try and rear their own?

I underlayed the first round then goldy hen was on 4 eggs 2nd round and cock smashed then 8 days in so I’ll try underlaying if I can help it 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gnipper said:

Are they in cages or aviary? 

Most of them are in one avairy 25 canary hens and 12 goldys hens and cocks but I’ve also had problems in cages with canary hens not rearing properly 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, gnipper said:

They must be knocking shite out of each other all together like that this time of year?

Tbh I haven’t seen much fighting in there I’ve got a camera in there aswell obviously odd squabbling but that it it’s 8x10 

Edited by Abullx

I've got two 6x3 aviaries with a pair in each at the minute. I've had a few canary hens in at one time before and they bickered and fought over feeders etc. 

3 minutes ago, gnipper said:

I've got two 6x3 aviaries with a pair in each at the minute. I've had a few canary hens in at one time before and they bickered and fought over feeders etc. 

I had a avairy with  just British in and they did so now put 6 flights in there but that other aviary been ok. Next season I’m going to have all flight or cages and 1 pair in each as thinking that might help rearing