The over 65 club.

11 hours ago, TOMO said:

I worked on welbeck for a 6 month...as a trainee keeper back in 84...I was 17...Peter Betts was head keeper I was on the rearing field for weeks....hard graft it was at the old kennels cleaning the birds out everyday tones of wood shavings to be removed from the rooms the chick's were under lights....there were also birds under broody hens on the field that had to be moved everyday on to fresh grass...as well as using Jay's fluid on all the drinkers and feed bowls...not to mention I had to go up to his house to clean the dogs out....and cut his lawn....when the rearing was done I went up to Creswell crags to help out on that beat...Flash was the keeper up there I forgot his real name...he looked like chuck noris and played for worksop rugby club...his Mrs was a stunner tall blond ...but I liked flash he was great to work for

Excellent that mate! Yep, I remember Bettsy very well. We must have been little b@stards to him. A f**king pain in the arse that he didn't need! Lol.. I could literally jump over the garden fence and be on Welbeck land. Too much to mention here. We were  only young teenagers at the time. He's took guns off us.. had feds out with him when they've collared us.. been called out to us saying that we were badger baiting when we were just ratting.. he had plenty of back up with him then. Me and my mate walked it to Clumber and back one day.( and right around the lake) Got a slip on a Hare at Holbeck on way home.. my mates 27" deer/grey x colli/grey just done a marathon behind it but missed. Just got her back on the lead with tongue dragging on the road.. and yes, guessed who passed us!! LOL.. He did a U turn.. asked some questions.. bollocked us and said  "I don't want to see that dog on this land"!. He'd got what looked like his parents in the truck with him. Obviously.. he doesn't know what a f@@ked running dog looks like! Dog didn't come out the kennel for 3 days!! Lol.. All good memories though. We must have been a nightmare for him. I still see his photo in Welbeck farm shop and look back with fond memories. I'll get a pic of it next time I'm in there. RIP Pete. We were young keene lads armed with terriers, lurchers and stinkers. He was just doing his job!! Only met Chuck Norris once near  Blue barn farm. He looked the bollocks wearing jeans and no t-shirt!  Never had a run in with him.. but I knew of him. Great times and great memories!!

• Like 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How it was.. My life in parts. For me and me mates anyway. How lucky was I/we,growing up in the fifties/sixties. Came of a council estate,we didn't have a lot,(but had every thing) but

I’m a fifties/sixties kid. I say it often, I’m glad I was born when I was and had the best childhood. You had to live it to know what I mean. I had two brothers (sadly no longer here) who were my ment

I’m still a young pup at 52 but read this thread just before my mother in law came round last night.., she’s 75 and I had a wee blether to her about times gone by. She’s never caught anything more tha

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Bush Rummager said:

Excellent that mate! Yep, I remember Bettsy very well. We must have been little b@stards to him. A f**king pain in the arse that he didn't need! Lol.. I could literally jump over the garden fence and be on Welbeck land. Too much to mention here. We were  only young teenagers at the time. He's took guns off us.. had feds out with him when they've collared us.. been called out to us saying that we were badger baiting when we were just ratting.. he had plenty of back up with him then. Me and my mate walked it to Clumber and back one day.( and right around the lake) Got a slip on a Hare at Holbeck on way home.. my mates 27" deer/grey x colli/grey just done a marathon behind it but missed. Just got her back on the lead with tongue dragging on the road.. and yes, guessed who passed us!! LOL.. He did a U turn.. asked some questions.. bollocked us and said  "I don't want to see that dog on this land"!. He'd got what looked like his parents in the truck with him. Obviously.. he doesn't know what a f@@ked running dog looks like! Dog didn't come out the kennel for 3 days!! Lol.. All good memories though. We must have been a nightmare for him. I still see his photo in Welbeck farm shop and look back with fond memories. I'll get a pic of it next time I'm in there. RIP Pete. We were young keene lads armed with terriers, lurchers and stinkers. He was just doing his job!! Only met Chuck Norris once near  Blue barn farm. He looked the bollocks wearing jeans and no t-shirt!  Never had a run in with him.. but I knew of him. Great times and great memories!!

Had a night longnetting on their early 80s and us Rotherham lads knew the place was hotter than hell from stories on the grapevine and one part of a wood on their was called ambush alley. I remember we parked the van in a cul-de-sac were there was some houses off a road near the estate and a phone box. Before we netted it we had done a recky in the day time and a few of us walking about was approached by a couple of keeper's in a old Land rover if my memory serves me right and we convinced them we were bird watching and were looking for an heronary were herons nested in some tall pines on their. Another tale I heard from a lad called Martin from Ward Green in Barnsley who used to do a lot of taxidermy for dog lad's and his kitchen in his council house was like some thing out of an horror movie 😆 He told us about a keeper on Welbeck who supposedly put an advertisement in the local rag telling poachers to keep away or face the consequences whether it was true or not I don't know. Lol 

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Had a night longnetting on their early 80s and us Rotherham lads knew the place was hotter than hell from stories on the grapevine and one part of a wood on their was called ambush alley. I remember we parked the van in a cul-de-sac were there was some houses off a road near the estate and a phone box. Before we netted it we had done a recky in the day time and a few of us walking about was approached by a couple of keeper's in a old Land rover if my memory serves me right and we convinced them we were bird watching and were looking for an heronary were herons nested in some tall pines on their. Another tale I heard from a lad called Martin from Ward Green in Barnsley who used to do a lot of taxidermy for dog lad's and his kitchen in his council house was like some thing out of an horror movie 😆 He told us about a keeper on Welbeck who supposedly put an advertisement in the local rag telling poachers to keep away or face the consequences whether it was true or not I don't know. Lol 

Ahh.. excellent that mate!! I actually remember once they got us as young uns and the keepers had us in the back of their Landy.. they actually said they'd had a lot of trouble from the south Yorkshire lads coming down and running the land at night.. lol.. I was  probably only 13 at the time. Took a clip around the tab.  I didn't even tell dad mate..  would have been a blood bath that didn't need to happen!l lol..

• Like 2
On 30/05/2024 at 20:52, mackem said:

How did you catch your first salmon Aled, nice fish a 12 pounder. 

Big bunch of worms being run through a well known salmon pool....earlier in the day i saw a local angler catch 3 salmon from the same pool watched what he did....dug a load of worms from the garden and bought good hooks and weights from the local sports shop, a very nice memory.

• Thanks 1
On 31/05/2024 at 20:26, OldPhil said:

👏🏼Lovely to hear your tales bonny lads...👏

I've shied away from ever chatting too freely, about certain events that have occurred over the last 60+ years...but I reckon an interesting treatise could be penned about those early,... days and nights....😉

I am not familiar with the actual legalities (or perhaps the wisdom)  of 'opening up'  regarding past deeds of naughtiness,.. but its surely got to be beneficial, getting certain things off one's chest....

Perhaps now the time is right.....🤔

Open up Phil ,clear your conscience and give the families a sense of closure .

• Haha 2
On 01/06/2024 at 21:53, Aled said:

Big bunch of worms being run through a well known salmon pool....earlier in the day i saw a local angler catch 3 salmon from the same pool watched what he did....dug a load of worms from the garden and bought good hooks and weights from the local sports shop, a very nice memory.

Rabbit wire lashed to a hazel stick.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Haha 1