The over 65 club.

See if these photos will load...a few pics from 30 pluss year ago...nights out on the birds....or as we would say in our local vernacular...went out boding last neet

pics124002.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How it was.. My life in parts. For me and me mates anyway. How lucky was I/we,growing up in the fifties/sixties. Came of a council estate,we didn't have a lot,(but had every thing) but

I’m a fifties/sixties kid. I say it often, I’m glad I was born when I was and had the best childhood. You had to live it to know what I mean. I had two brothers (sadly no longer here) who were my ment

I’m still a young pup at 52 but read this thread just before my mother in law came round last night.., she’s 75 and I had a wee blether to her about times gone by. She’s never caught anything more tha

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, TOMO said:

See if these photos will load...a few pics from 30 pluss year ago...nights out on the birds....or as we would say in our local vernacular...went out boding last neet

pics124002.jpg

My old mate from Maltby always used the term boding as well as a well known poacher i know from Dinnington who is now in his 70s and still gets about and has recently bred his deerhound lurcher to a saluki hybrid. His term for keepers always made me chuckle Yoggis he used to call them feck knows were that term came from i know years ago he did a bit with Worksop lad's.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, byron said:

Old man was born/lived 52Dorset St.mate.that maritime museum is summat.i advise any one To go look.i gave them my old man's whaling contract.over the moon they was.

a lot a my family are from there and hessle road originally 

the museums a good aint they kids like a walk around 

I’m still a young pup at 52 but read this thread just before my mother in law came round last night.., she’s 75 and I had a wee blether to her about times gone by. She’s never caught anything more than a cold in those 75 years but she grew up in the 50’s/60’s and she’s skinned and plucked plenty of game for the pot. She grew up in a mining village where men would often drop in stuff they’d caught/shot. She told me one of the local boys had a thing for her older sister and they’d frequently wake up to find he’d left a couple of rabbits on the back step. I grew up in the 70’/80’s and it was a normal to see men/boys walking with a gun or a ferret bag and a dog or two carrying game back home after a day/night out hunting. I remember as young as 9 or 10 carrying a ferreted rabbit back onto the estate and feeling 10 feet tall and like a big game hunter. 
Our society has been brainwashed into believing this sort of ‘pastime’ is cruel and barbaric. Substitute the Scottish mining village for a young native American brave impressing a young woman, or an Inuit hunting party returning from a successful hunt which will feed their community for a month and that behaviour isn’t just normal its celebrated. We may not now hunt as a necessity to feed ourselves and our families, but I think we still should to nourish the soul and to keep the tools sharp should we ever need them. This is who and what we are as a species. The difference between those who hunt and those who don’t is that the urge just lies closer to the surface on us. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4
36 minutes ago, pesky1972 said:

I’m still a young pup at 52 but read this thread just before my mother in law came round last night.., she’s 75 and I had a wee blether to her about times gone by. She’s never caught anything more than a cold in those 75 years but she grew up in the 50’s/60’s and she’s skinned and plucked plenty of game for the pot. She grew up in a mining village where men would often drop in stuff they’d caught/shot. She told me one of the local boys had a thing for her older sister and they’d frequently wake up to find he’d left a couple of rabbits on the back step. I grew up in the 70’/80’s and it was a normal to see men/boys walking with a gun or a ferret bag and a dog or two carrying game back home after a day/night out hunting. I remember as young as 9 or 10 carrying a ferreted rabbit back onto the estate and feeling 10 feet tall and like a big game hunter. 
Our society has been brainwashed into believing this sort of ‘pastime’ is cruel and barbaric. Substitute the Scottish mining village for a young native American brave impressing a young woman, or an Inuit hunting party returning from a successful hunt which will feed their community for a month and that behaviour isn’t just normal its celebrated. We may not now hunt as a necessity to feed ourselves and our families, but I think we still should to nourish the soul and to keep the tools sharp should we ever need them. This is who and what we are as a species. The difference between those who hunt and those who don’t is that the urge just lies closer to the surface on us. 

Well written that

Welbeck Estate.under keeper there at time, told me years later about the lads from local pit Village all poached it.even him in his younger years.he said we was duck shooting one night with the big wigs and was invited back to the big house.he said I was drinking whiskey out of proper cut glass glasses.couldnt get me head round it he was telling me.and he said all I kept thinking was if my mates could see me now.lol.he said they new the place like the back of there hands.

• Like 1

Enjoyed your post pesky1972, and as a 1971 baby i get it. Used to see people walking through my home town with guns (to be fair usually in gun slips or black bin bags) and dogs, off for a rough shoot somewhere, ferrets, and long dogs, and loads of fishermen. In September 1984 i caught my 1st salmon....yep i walked through town with it, and numerous people congratulated me on my salmon but the best bit was a total stranger who said to her male companion, blimey look at the size of that fish it was 12lb 3ozs. Anyway what was also of note was the local knowledge about country ways, growing good vegetables,  ferreting, shooting, working whippets, and catching fish (by fair means and fowl) there was a professor on every street corner. 

• Like 9
5 minutes ago, Aled said:

Enjoyed your post pesky1972, and as a 1971 baby i get it. Used to see people walking through my home town with guns (to be fair usually in gun slips or black bin bags) and dogs, off for a rough shoot somewhere, ferrets, and long dogs, and loads of fishermen. In September 1984 i caught my 1st salmon....yep i walked through town with it, and numerous people congratulated me on my salmon but the best bit was a total stranger who said to her male companion, blimey look at the size of that fish it was 12lb 3ozs. Anyway what was also of note was the local knowledge about country ways, growing good vegetables,  ferreting, shooting, working whippets, and catching fish (by fair means and fowl) there was a professor on every street corner. 

How did you catch your first salmon Aled, nice fish a 12 pounder. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, byron said:

Welbeck Estate.under keeper there at time, told me years later about the lads from local pit Village all poached it.even him in his younger years.he said we was duck shooting one night with the big wigs and was invited back to the big house.he said I was drinking whiskey out of proper cut glass glasses.couldnt get me head round it he was telling me.and he said all I kept thinking was if my mates could see me now.lol.he said they new the place like the back of there hands.

I worked on welbeck for a 6 month...as a trainee keeper back in 84...I was 17...Peter Betts was head keeper I was on the rearing field for weeks....hard graft it was at the old kennels cleaning the birds out everyday tones of wood shavings to be removed from the rooms the chick's were under lights....there were also birds under broody hens on the field that had to be moved everyday on to fresh grass...as well as using Jay's fluid on all the drinkers and feed bowls...not to mention I had to go up to his house to clean the dogs out....and cut his lawn....when the rearing was done I went up to Creswell crags to help out on that beat...Flash was the keeper up there I forgot his real name...he looked like chuck noris and played for worksop rugby club...his Mrs was a stunner tall blond ...but I liked flash he was great to work for

• Thanks 1

Late 70s took a trip to Prestatyn 4 hour drive in an old comer van on the word of a old chap that just came back from hols there 2 Lurchers end of the night 24 rabbits 10 hares returned 2 years later with 4 dogs 1 rabbit 1 hare and 1 duck memories  are precious 

• Like 2

👏🏼Lovely to hear your tales bonny lads...👏

I've shied away from ever chatting too freely, about certain events that have occurred over the last 60+ years...but I reckon an interesting treatise could be penned about those early,... days and nights....😉

I am not familiar with the actual legalities (or perhaps the wisdom)  of 'opening up'  regarding past deeds of naughtiness,.. but its surely got to be beneficial, getting certain things off one's chest....

Perhaps now the time is right.....🤔

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 7
On 30/05/2024 at 12:51, pesky1972 said:

I'm ten years younger than you and it wasn't too uncommon to still see a few of us wandering around with dogs, guns, ferrets and our catch slung over the shoulder walking or cycling home but it would be a bit weird doing it nowadays no doubt some do gooder phoning the police.

I've had some good conversations with people walking home carrying a few brace of birds and never any grief. I used to ferret the golf course near our town centre while my dad played golf and nobody would bat an eyelid but sod going on there now it would be all over facebook before I'd lifted the nets.

• Like 2