The over 65 club.

15 minutes ago, BGD said:

When you look at the state we've left the world in for them can you really blame them? The first generation since the industrial revolution to end up worse off than their parents and thats without even getting into all the other ways the world is fecked.

Difficult one to agree with you on this as I have one son who still lives with us, gives us a peppercorn rent and has saved his entire working life. He now has enough to buy a small house outright but chooses to live with us as its easier. 

The other is married with 2 kids and is on the rental market which is partly their choice as the government fund the rent with benefits. They dont want a mortgage as it would impact on the benefits and in turn mean they would have to curb their current lifestyle. Financially they are better off than we were at their age and the advancement of tech has meant their standard of living is far better than ours. We didnt even have heating in our first rented property and used to use the laundry to wash our clothes until we could save up for a washing machine, and I felt that was a luxury seeing my mum wash by hand and use a mangel !  I could go on but i see what we went through as character building and wouldn't change a thing.

I do find it hard to see where they are worse off than us, just think times are different, but do agree the world is fecked.   

• Like 3

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How it was.. My life in parts. For me and me mates anyway. How lucky was I/we,growing up in the fifties/sixties. Came of a council estate,we didn't have a lot,(but had every thing) but

I’m a fifties/sixties kid. I say it often, I’m glad I was born when I was and had the best childhood. You had to live it to know what I mean. I had two brothers (sadly no longer here) who were my ment

I’m still a young pup at 52 but read this thread just before my mother in law came round last night.., she’s 75 and I had a wee blether to her about times gone by. She’s never caught anything more tha

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Arry said:

Winchester Cooey my first 12 bore bought it of a Copper my mate bought a folding .410 of him as well. It was the amnesty when people was encouraged to hand their gun in, they did and he flogged them Lol, only paid a tenner. Used to get the licence at the post office then. Born in 51 and lived on a council estate  as you said Byron we had f**k all but we had every thing. In the holidays gang of all the local kids would bugger off to the wood all day make camps bows and arrows, no water no food. Sometime cut up a swede from the field and crunch on that if we needed a drink it was from the stream. Air rifles my first was a .177 Czech gun called Telly junior very accurate gun then the good old BSA Meteor spending hours shooting rats on the council tip. We would twat any rook, Jackdaw or Pigeon that dared land on our roof even sling a slice of mothers pride up on the roof to draw them in Lol.

Jobs were easy just go to a site ask for a start none of these licences to drive a dumper or machine if you could do it they let you. Ended up with most of my tickets on Granddads rights. If you didn't like that site you would f**k off get a start on another if you was a grafter your reputation went ahead of you and could always get a start. Thats another thing people looked up to a grafter then.

Shooting foxes for the pelts one night skinning and pegging the buggers out the next night all help make ends meet. Sold few long tails borrowed few fish thats just the way it was.

Going back to the Cooey they was like scaffold poles I used to beat the hedge with mine and if a rabbit or something pop out would twat it. Byron you have brought back a lot of memories thanks Lol.

Cheers Arry

Aye arry.

We went down the same road eh.we shared a folding 410 with a silencer made out of alli ?not sure.full of washers it was.in the sixties.wonder what happened to it.remember had to stash it one day when someone was on to me.went back few days later to a rust bucket.lol did we look at it as poaching/trespassing.dunno.just young and mad.them old tips were great for ratting.mates brother used to bring his old panther and chair along,(motorbike) kicked like a Mule on start up,gotta get the compression up.and light up the tip.hahaha.used to go on holiday park right near were I live now in shut down shooting rabbits out the chair.all changed now.good luck.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Arry said:

Winchester Cooey my first 12 bore bought it of a Copper my mate bought a folding .410 of him as well. It was the amnesty when people was encouraged to hand their gun in, they did and he flogged them Lol, only paid a tenner. Used to get the licence at the post office then. Born in 51 and lived on a council estate  as you said Byron we had f**k all but we had every thing. In the holidays gang of all the local kids would bugger off to the wood all day make camps bows and arrows, no water no food. Sometime cut up a swede from the field and crunch on that if we needed a drink it was from the stream. Air rifles my first was a .177 Czech gun called Telly junior very accurate gun then the good old BSA Meteor spending hours shooting rats on the council tip. We would twat any rook, Jackdaw or Pigeon that dared land on our roof even sling a slice of mothers pride up on the roof to draw them in Lol.

Jobs were easy just go to a site ask for a start none of these licences to drive a dumper or machine if you could do it they let you. Ended up with most of my tickets on Granddads rights. If you didn't like that site you would f**k off get a start on another if you was a grafter your reputation went ahead of you and could always get a start. Thats another thing people looked up to a grafter then.

Shooting foxes for the pelts one night skinning and pegging the buggers out the next night all help make ends meet. Sold few long tails borrowed few fish thats just the way it was.

Going back to the Cooey they was like scaffold poles I used to beat the hedge with mine and if a rabbit or something pop out would twat it. Byron you have brought back a lot of memories thanks Lol.

Cheers Arry

i had a Cooey but mine was made in Canada and not by Winchester good work tool but had to o tape the forend up as used to self-destruct and like you say like scaffold poles

• Like 2
2 hours ago, byron said:

Aye arry.

We went down the same road eh.we shared a folding 410 with a silencer made out of alli ?not sure.full of washers it was.in the sixties.wonder what happened to it.remember had to stash it one day when someone was on to me.went back few days later to a rust bucket.lol did we look at it as poaching/trespassing.dunno.just young and mad.them old tips were great for ratting.mates brother used to bring his old panther and chair along,(motorbike) kicked like a Mule on start up,gotta get the compression up.and light up the tip.hahaha.used to go on holiday park right near were I live now in shut down shooting rabbits out the chair.all changed now.good luck.

Another coincidence my mate ( Pip ) had a Panther 65 with the chair 65 without the chair single cylinder fired every lamp post we used to say Lol. It kick back on him one day outside his house next he was over the hedge and on the lawn moaning. 

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

I’m a fifties/sixties kid. I say it often, I’m glad I was born when I was and had the best childhood. You had to live it to know what I mean. I had two brothers (sadly no longer here) who were my mentors and showed me the way and parents who encouraged independence and a free spirit. I’m still knocking about the woods and moors, jumping fences, walking miles and climbing fells. I wouldn’t change a thing. I’m very lucky 🍀 

• Like 19
4 hours ago, mC HULL said:

been to gypseyville today sandwich shop still the same inside since the war lol 

Old man was born/lived 52Dorset St.mate.that maritime museum is summat.i advise any one To go look.i gave them my old man's whaling contract.over the moon they was.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Arry said:

Another coincidence my mate ( Pip ) had a Panther 65 with the chair 65 without the chair single cylinder fired every lamp post we used to say Lol. It kick back on him one day outside his house next he was over the hedge and on the lawn moaning. 

Cheers Arry

HIs second name want brook's was it Harry? That panther,a lad(not long passed) hounded my mates brother for it.sold him it for 15quid.he wrapped it round a lamp post a week later.lol.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, cragman said:

I’m a fifties/sixties kid. I say it often, I’m glad I was born when I was and had the best childhood. You had to live it to know what I mean. I had two brothers (sadly no longer here) who were my mentors and showed me the way and parents who encouraged independence and a free spirit. I’m still knocking about the woods and moors, jumping fences, walking miles and climbing fells. I wouldn’t change a thing. I’m very lucky 🍀 

Keep going matey.fxck.. them that retire sit in a chair and give up.

• Like 1

Had a few 410's over the years all bought for 50 quid from a bloke in the pub....

One memorable time I lost one was when me and a mate had just shot a morehen un bekniwn to us a birdwatcher was in a hide the other side of the pond and he knew us...lol....we hid the gun and legged it...

A few hours later at home....there's that loud knock on the door some of us on here have herd a few times...lol

Down the cop shop I'm saying Jack shit ...telling them f**k all cos I know they will never find the 410 that has my prints on...

So I'm being questioned and in walks the local high ranking cop who all the local poachers and miners hate....he's got my 410 in one of them plastic bags with the label on in....I imeadatly stood up from my chair....only to be met with the butt of the gun driven in to my stomach which folded me in half and left me curled up on the floorboards 

5 charges 3 for firearms offences and fined £250

• Like 2
  • Haha 8
3 minutes ago, byron said:

HIs second name want brook's was it Harry? That panther,a lad(not long passed) hounded my mates brother for it.sold him it for 15quid.he wrapped it round a lamp post a week later.lol.

No mate not put his name up but he's still around. He used to build bikes from different frames engines put allsorts together.

Cheers Arry

A stick of dynamite..lol.another yarn..by the way I ain't no bullshitter all these yarns are true..

back in the day, when we got winters. We used to shoot a drain inland.flat land (test ya running dogs on this land)plenty of long ears here.big reservoir couple of fields back.well this grass field run along side of this drain.but, this field used to flood in one part.and teal used to pour into it.anyways it froz over,so someone come up with idea about fxckin dynamite.some one new some one who could get some.anyways me mate comes in to our local with a stick.ffs.lol.best is we use to light it then nip the fxcker out,hahaha.started of long fuse and ended short.to short to be precise lol.anyways a day or what ever later goes down for morning flight. remember saying to my other mate.i can see that going of in his hand.just like them bangers with short fuses near bommy night we use to buy.anway,,wally does the deed.except..

Tik tik boom..

You could see his old polo petrol lighter flint sparking.then a shout coz he dropped it,and ran into the darkness.fxck.it was a big frosty dawn no wind.just a big bang.hahaha.on surveying the seen after flight just small hole type thing in the ice.oh to be back in them times eh.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Arry said:

Winchester Cooey my first 12 bore bought it off a Copper my mate bought a folding .410 of him as well. It was the amnesty when people was encouraged to hand their gun in, they did and he flogged them Lol, only paid a tenner. Used to get the licence at the post office then. Born in 51 and lived on a council estate  as you said Byron we had f**k all but we had every thing. In the holidays gang of all the local kids would bugger off to the wood all day make camps bows and arrows, no water no food. Sometime cut up a swede from the field and crunch on that if we needed a drink it was from the stream. Air rifles my first was a .177 Czech gun called Telly junior very accurate gun then the good old BSA Meteor spending hours shooting rats on the council tip. We would twat any rook, Jackdaw or Pigeon that dared land on our roof even sling a slice of mothers pride up on the roof to draw them in Lol.

Cheers Arry

Remember buying a 410 off a lad from the pit I'm sure that was a cooey it took down into 3 pieces it was a rickety thing despite having the end of the barrel turned and using a few home made silences one made out of an old vacume cleaner aluminium pipe non were as good as the pedretis full moderated 410s with 2inch gamebore cartridges .

• Like 3
1 hour ago, tatsblisters said:

Remember buying a 410 off a lad from the pit I'm sure that was a cooey it took down into 3 pieces it was a rickety thing despite having the end of the barrel turned and using a few home made silences one made out of an old vacume cleaner aluminium pipe non were as good as the pedretis full moderated 410s with 2inch gamebore cartridges .

Aye tats them two inch cases ya needed,the noise difference between them and two and a half's was like noticable.lol.

5 hours ago, byron said:

Aye tats them two inch cases ya needed,the noise difference between them and two and a half's was like noticable.lol.

There was a massive difference mate I found and between different makes of cartridges. The Winchester 2 an half inch was a lot louder than the gamebore and eley fourlong cartridges. I had various 410s pass through my hands years ago from the webley bolt action to the little fold down el chimbo that I would take to work at the pit that was folded in my barbour pocket and no one knew I had it on me when the coat was in my locker with a few boxes of cartridges and then getting off the pit bus after the day shift to go to my mates and sit in his kitchen infront of a roaring coal fire till it got dark to go and get a few birds off the Sandbeck estate were his house backed on to Maltby common. These memories will stay with me till the day I die. 

• Like 7

We would get up to all sorts, one day my mates and me after few pints one evening decided to drive up to Dartmoor and go ferreting the next day. Well Bob said he would not wake up so we said if you tie piece of cotton around your big toe hang it out the window (we must have been pissed to come up with that) we would tug it in the morning. Well he was up when we went to pick him up and we was surprised apparently his toe went all black and he woke up in agony. Next was Rob to be picked up we could not wake him throwing gravel up at his window then Pete lobbed a rotten spud at his window just as he opened it, right on the side of his chops.

Any way sets of in Bobs upright ford pop 110e for Dartmoor convinced the place would be over run with rabbits and to us common land that anybody could go on (it's Not Lol). Now some hills on Dartmoor are bloody steep and this old Ford pop could not handle them we had to jump out push the f***ing thing he would get going and we had to walk up to the top of the hill. Well we are getting out in the middle of the Moor when a rabbit ran right across the road in front of us and went ground, so out we jumped started netting up. 

I'm sure I've told this bit before on here.

Next thing a Cop car turns up then a cop bike then another then a Mini Moke cop car. They line us up saying things like height colour of eyes etc etc. Ask what's this about "Shut Up" this goes on for a while. After a while things calms down a bit and asked again what this about " Well you see that big building over there thats Dartmoor Prison"  And you scruff load of buggers look right suspicious. They all clear off giving us a right bollacking except one copper we told him about the rabbit that went in the burrow and could we drop the ferret in. He was quite interested so we did just that. The rabbit must have gone right through there was nothing in there, he's now look suspiciously at us again. We went back our local pub and had a laugh about but wasn't funny at the time.

Cheers Arry

• Like 4