Abnormalities in a litter

My Jill gave birth on Sunday to a litter of 8 kits, I prefer to leave them well alone without too much disturbance but my son wanted a look at them so we poked our heads in last night and had a look, there was one which had died. I removed that and it doesn’t have a tail, odd I thought but one of them things perhaps.

Had another look in just now and could only see 6, removed the Jill and had a rummage around in the bedding and found the 7th now deceased kit, again no tail but also visibly swollen around the stomach. 

Checked the rest and they all seem fine, for as much as I can tell with two day old kits but 3 of those don’t have tails either, I’ve never had anything like this before, just wondered if anyone else had?

2 hours ago, Chevy Chase said:

again no tail but also visibly swollen around the stomach

It sounds like imperforate anus, I've only heard of this in some Stumpy Tailed Cattle dog pups but maybe the same thing.

2 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

It sounds like imperforate anus, I've only heard of this in some Stumpy Tailed Cattle dog pups but maybe the same thing.

I must admit that was my thoughts as well

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Not from the jill over cleaning them? I've seen kits with legs and tails damaged by the jill at birth.

Possibly although there’s no visual sign of that having been the case, no soreness or wounds that are obvious 

• 2 weeks later...