Pointer and whippet buddies.

Went for a walk with a mate of mine I hadn't seen for years he had a GWP bitch and a whippet saturated bitza.

The dogs were rough and tumbling when the GWP froze and pointed to an area of rough grass. The whippet didn't need any invitation and immediately put up a rabbit. She missed it but got very close. I really enjoyed seeing them work together. Apparently they do it all the time. Surprisingly the GWP did not join the chase but kept checking out the area of rough grass.

Anybody any experience of running a pointer or a spaniel with a running dog?

• Like 5

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My first springer bought as a six week old pup from a lad on the estate I live about 1986 not long after I had to sell the first house I bought due to being on strike for a year and moving into the co

I used to run this pair together. partners in crime lol. They soon worked things out. GSP here. Handy for sending into plantations whilst you wait on the other side for a bolt or sending out quarterin

I got a pointer and lurcher team the lurcher is also a pointer x ,  I only work my dogs day time on big open hill i do try to stick to gullies and big patches of rush suits the pointer more , she

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Went for a walk with a mate of mine I hadn't seen for years he had a GWP bitch and a whippet saturated bitza.

The dogs were rough and tumbling when the GWP froze and pointed to an area of rough grass. The whippet didn't need any invitation and immediately put up a rabbit. She missed it but got very close. I really enjoyed seeing them work together. Apparently they do it all the time. Surprisingly the GWP did not join the chase but kept checking out the area of rough grass.

Not a pointer, but over the years seen a few spaniel and spaniel/terrier/mongrel types working with pure whippets and whippet types.

Good fun, and pretty effective.

• Like 3

No experience of it, but last year a pal of mine bred a litter of genuine working GSP’s and kept two back until eight month old then decided which one he was keeping and offered to gift me the other one.

I agonised over taking it, but decided not to. I’m a running dog man and probably couldn’t give it the type of training and work it deserved, but I still wonder if I made the wrong decision.

Cheers

1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

No experience of it, but last year a pal of mine bred a litter of genuine working GSP’s and kept two back until eight month old then decided which one he was keeping and offered to gift me the other one.

I agonised over taking it, but decided not to. I’m a running dog man and probably couldn’t give it the type of training and work it deserved, but I still wonder if I made the wrong decision.

Cheers

What, you're 185 years old, and never seen a spaniel cross or terrier cross working with a whippet or whippet cross runner?!!

• Haha 2
15 minutes ago, shaaark said:

What, you're 185 years old, and never seen a spaniel cross or terrier cross working with a whippet or whippet cross runner?!!

Seen it, but never owned them …..

47E3AFDB-2F8D-4F71-99CE-0411E6349337.jpeg.40a748029cca1ac3fc2b1b2c6751c283.jpeg

Cheers.

• Like 4

Worked running dogs with gun dogs; even had the odd gun dog in my kennel, but none of the gun dogs belonged to me.

043B9233-905B-4931-8BF3-2A8F090A33D8.jpeg.c112567aeb6c6b033f6e2b125109e221.jpeg

27AEBE83-276B-4736-83E7-BA32A6D8FF03.jpeg.dfe1f61dffd12269ce7be910980424ec.jpeg

Maybe I should have been more precise in my post; I’ve never had the experience of owning and working  gun dogs and running dogs, but I have had some limited experience of it . 
Cheers. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, jukel123 said:

Worked a small type springer with my lurchers for years daytime used to be good when I was on my own as the springer would quarter big fields and knock hare's up that were sat tight and flushing rabbits out of patches of bramble and other cover. I think it's a great combination especially hunting on your own. 

• Like 5
14 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Worked running dogs with gun dogs; even had the odd gun dog in my kennel, but none of the gun dogs belonged to me.

043B9233-905B-4931-8BF3-2A8F090A33D8.jpeg.c112567aeb6c6b033f6e2b125109e221.jpeg

27AEBE83-276B-4736-83E7-BA32A6D8FF03.jpeg.dfe1f61dffd12269ce7be910980424ec.jpeg

Maybe I should have been more precise in my post; I’ve never had the experience of owning and working  gun dogs and running dogs, but I have had some limited experience of it . 
Cheers. 

Gotta be precise or Shaaark will tear you to shreds 🤣

45 minutes ago, Bakerboy said:

Gotta be precise or Shaaark will tear you to shreds 🤣

23 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I fear it’s a rod I’ve made for my own back ! PMSL !

Cheers.

No need to be precise, it was just an observation.  👍

• Like 1

I tried similar when I bought my first kelpie. The intention was to use him as the indicator/bushing dog and for the lurcher to be the catch dog. Unfortunately, the lurcher stuck to what he'd always been doing (bushing his own) while the kelpie waited outside. Result: the only rabbits we caught were caught in bushes by the lurcher.

Then, literally the week I rehomed the lurcher, both kelpies caught their first rabbits in opposite corners of the same field.

Several people have told me over the last few years that they think a gundog would suit my temperament and the way I work my dogs. Maybe I'll give it a go. I look forward to what others add to this thread.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Neal said:

I tried similar when I bought my first kelpie. The intention was to use him as the indicator/bushing dog and for the lurcher to be the catch dog. Unfortunately, the lurcher stuck to what he'd always been doing (bushing his own) while the kelpie waited outside. Result: the only rabbits we caught were caught in bushes by the lurcher.

Then, literally the week I rehomed the lurcher, both kelpies caught their first rabbits in opposite corners of the same field.

Several people have told me over the last few years that they think a gundog would suit my temperament and the way I work my dogs. Maybe I'll give it a go. I look forward to what others add to this thread.

Reading your comments I honestly think you would gel with a gundog breed. I remember when I got my first springer after failing with a few terriers to work along my lurchers daytime I know lads have had great success with terrier lurcher combinations but I just couldn't gel with the couple of terriers I had and as I got a terrier after the lurchers all they were more interested in was following the lurchers about knowing they could get their teeth into something like a rabbit or an hare. It was totally different with my first springer she just wanted to hunt and was not that concerned what the lurchers were up to though she would grab stuff in cover and as a pup I just wanted her to hunt even though she was obiediant but nothing like a well trained spaniel for the gun. One memorable day was when I went down south to have a crack at muntjac flushing them from cover to say she had never seen or scented one before she worked like a demon on them all morning before one flushed out of a bramble hedge and ran across a field to some other cover to be taken by a lurcher she worked alongside. 

• Like 3
On 25/05/2024 at 18:09, jukel123 said:

I've not seen a bespoke pointer worked with a running dog but have seem lurchers and terriers that pointed. Love to watch a terrier quarter ground rough open ground and start to home in ever closer with tail wagging quicker and quicker before coming to an abrupt stop. Very rarely resulting in a catch for the terrier but wonderful to see when the next move is a rush followed by a squeal or a truly wild pheasant snatched before it gets too high off the ground. 

• Like 3