Caught a clip on the news , they found the original reel in a loft  and it Is returning to the cinema … can’t see it breaking box office records ….. anyone going to see it ? 

0E752EF8-88D2-43F8-B8E1-C464BC31CCF0.jpeg

• Like 5

Remember the old man taking me to see it when it first came out and I have it on dvd and watched it with my eldest grandson when he was doing a kestrel for a knave in English at secondary school. It's definitely an iconic british film that must rank as one of the best ever made. I sometimes find it surprising when I have mentioned the film to younger lads most who were not from Yorkshire who have never seen the film. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Seen it a million times, and will  probably see it another  million, from the village where its  filmed, climbed  that wall a few times  myself  for a young  kestrel, or little  owl when I were a young man  ,and not the only one from off this  site  ,,,,,,  eh Brian 😉 

• Like 2

Brian Glover absolutely nailed the PE teacher

certainly an iconic film , , a snap shot of what life was like growing up in the 70s in northern england

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, steve66 said:

a snap shot of what life was like growing up in the 70s in northern england

I think it was the same for most parts of the UK, certainly was in the South Wales valleys, great times sadly gone forever

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, Bakerboy said:

I think it was the same for most parts of the UK, certainly was in the South Wales valleys, great times sadly gone forever

Was this film screened much in South Wales mate when it came out and was the book a subject in English at secondary school like it was in the secondary schools of South Yorkshire. Reason I ask is I have a mate from Caerphilly who is nearly 40 and moved up here about 10 years ago and had never heard of the film never mind seeing it.

Late sixties, we all nested, had catapults, built dens, ratted along the river, dug out wasp or bee nests for grubs to go fishing, out from first light ‘til dark. I could go on, there was never a better time to be a kid 👍🏻

• Like 9
3 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Was this film screened much in South Wales mate when it came out and was the book a subject in English at secondary school like it was in the secondary schools of South Yorkshire. Reason I ask is I have a mate from Caerphilly who is nearly 40 and moved up here about 10 years ago and had never heard of the film never mind seeing it.

Im from Caerphilly....Saw the film as a kid,then read the book at secondary school for English 👍

• Thanks 1

Haven’t seen the full film for a few years now, it’d be good to see it on the big screen. I remember the first time I watched it as maybe 10 year old. At the time I was obsessed with Kestrels, as barring a very occasional sparrowhawk, they were about the only raptor I ever saw.

I still feel the same way watching kestrels now as I did then, so much scarcer now though.

Edited by pesky1972
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, cragman said:

Late sixties, we all nested, had catapults, built dens, ratted along the river, dug out wasp or bee nests for grubs to go fishing, out from first light ‘til dark. I could go on, there was never a better time to be a kid 👍🏻

I think that life style as kids was mirrored by most lads in the 60`s and 70`s