I'm having a huge lime tree down at the bottom of the garden,  I've read mixed reports about using lime in the log burner,  I tend to go with the school of thought that if it's dry it'll burn, and I burn pretty much anything 😆  ...any thoughts?  

IMG-20240512-WA0001_resized.jpg

It's absolutely fine, dry it well and it burns like any soft wood. 

All depends on how much storage you have. I have some piles of willow, not the best heat output but dried well it burns fine....so use it at the beginning and end of the season when you don't need as much heat. The other day the Mrs wanted the fire lighting as it was raining and her mate was coming round, so no point burning kiln dried oak....so it's time for cheap soft wood. If been burning my lesser woods for the last 2 months. 

If you have room for it then split it and dry it 👍

• Like 2
Just now, DIDO.1 said:

It's absolutely fine, dry it well and it burns like any soft wood. 

All depends on how much storage you have. I have some piles of willow, not the best heat output but dried well it burns fine....so use it at the beginning and end of the season when you don't need as much heat. The other day the Mrs wanted the fire lighting as it was raining and her mate was coming round, so no point burning kiln dried oak....so it's time for cheap soft wood. If been burning my lesser woods for the last 2 months. 

If you have room for it then split it and dry it 👍

It's actually a hardwood but it's like a softwood,  very good for carving and lure making apparently...yeah ive got plenty of storage space,  is it best to  split it green or leave it a couple of summer months before splitting?  

The son in law and daughter have a log burner and I have never heard him mention about any natural wood he won't burn. We have a big wood skip at work that costs 400 notes to be emptied every few months with brocken pallets he came the other week and filled a big van up with suitable wood pallets and not them that are coloured blue or red though he says it's a pain cutting them up and prefers logs to pallet latts. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, kanny said:

It's actually a hardwood but it's like a softwood,  very good for carving and lure making apparently...yeah ive got plenty of storage space,  is it best to  split it green or leave it a couple of summer months before splitting?  

I spilt everything green as it dries better and quicker. I've never seen any benefit to stacking it un split.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lime blanks are sought after among wood turners. The brain is, by and large, fairly straight., great for large bowls.example. Jok.

IMG_0254.jpeg

• Like 6
WWW.FLYTESOFANCY.CO.UK

Here you can find a guide to the most well-known trees (UK) and we have given them a rating for their burning quality when used in a Woodburner or Log Fire.

I would dry it well and mix it with other woods for burning.

Cheers Arry

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, kanny said:

20240515_104502.jpg

20240515_104510.jpg

big un that kanny next door to me has one not that big i took a load down for her last year she said can you do that one not a chance lol 

• Haha 1
28 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

big un that kanny next door to me has one not that big i took a load down for her last year she said can you do that one not a chance lol 

Yeah fk that! Leave it to the experts lol

20240515_112615.jpg

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, tatsblisters said:

The son in law and daughter have a log burner and I have never heard him mention about any natural wood he won't burn. We have a big wood skip at work that costs 400 notes to be emptied every few months with brocken pallets he came the other week and filled a big van up with suitable wood pallets and not them that are coloured blue or red though he says it's a pain cutting them up and prefers logs to pallet latts. 

Same here my neighbours got a shed summer house building company Iv been burning off cuts of pallets and tounge and groove and any natural wood peat or coal for years good thing about the scrap wood he cuts it all to fit the stove for me drops bags at my gate few times a week and surprisingly that tounge and groove kicks out a fair heat havent a clue what kinda wood it is tho 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, kanny said:

Yeah fk that! Leave it to the experts lol

20240515_112615.jpg

Ive got a fckn huge Eucalyptus to come down, definately a job for the professionals, gonna be a b@stard to drop its between my kennels and bird pens

• Like 1