Learning the meaning of words

16 hours ago, jukel123 said:

I'm  English but I get the joke. The jocks get very irate if you describe them as 'scotch'. Scotch is a drink or refers to a Scottish product, for example scotch beef.

The jocks are very easily riled( just mention 1966 very loudly). Someone said: " It is not difficult to distinguish between a ray of sunshine and a scotsman."

Your post reminded me of when I was doing my face training down the pit and was put with a chap who hearing him speak was a Yorkshire man and when the deputy came to us who was Scottish he started talking to him in broad Scottish that I couldn't understand a word they were on about and I found out the chap I was doing my training with had come to the village as a youngster from Scotland. There is a book wrote about the Scottish miners who came to work at the pit in South Yorkshire called pit gypsy's I believe. 

• Like 2

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I speak English, well, as much as a Geordie can ! And also get by in Arabic. I can have very basic conversations in a couple of other languages, and can manage a menu in a few other languages.  Inte

I speak Scottish fluently. There are many head scratchers for beginners. For example: ya fenian,bead rattling  bass. ( You are a Catholic b*****d who habitually prays whilst clutching rosary beads)

I downloaded a dictionary on my phone, 1st 1 I downloaded was an american 1, them fckrs know less words than me and cant spell for shit

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, mel b said:

The only Spanish I know , is mucho grande maracon.

One day , I had a , drunk , Spanish speaking  , Russian , lad working on the truck( dont ask , we get allsorts).

I pointed to my other mate , and said to the Russian lad ," mucho grande maracon " .  The Russian lad said , " ah , you like Ricky Martin?  " , and started wiggling his hips .  My mate ( who can barely speak english ), said " yes " and started wiggling his hips along with the drunk Russian 😁.

It was one of those , you had to be there moments , but it still tickles me now , just thinking about it 😁.

You’ve just put my mrs on the floor in stitches mate :laugh: 

“muy grande maricon” = very big puff 

2 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Your post reminded me of when I was doing my face training down the pit and was put with a chap who hearing him speak was a Yorkshire man and when the deputy came to us who was Scottish he started talking to him in broad Scottish that I couldn't understand a word they were on about and I found out the chap I was doing my training with had come to the village as a youngster from Scotland. There is a book wrote about the Scottish miners who came to work at the pit in South Yorkshire called pit gypsy's I believe. 

Lots of people from Corby in Northamptonshire speak with a Scottish accent. Lots of jocks migrated there to work in the steelworks. No doubt the steelworks have gone but the accent remains.

I've lived in Scotland nearly 50 years. I'll say one thing about them. They are very forthright,honest people. You know what they are thinking ,they tell you!

The religious divide is  pain in the ass. When I first moved here I had a dust up with a bloke who didn't like my English ness or my former religion.

DECADES later he attacked an 18 year old relation of mine. He still held a grudge. Go figure.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Lots of people from Corby in Northamptonshire speak with a Scottish accent. Lots of jocks migrated there to work in the steelworks. No doubt the steelworks have gone but the accent remains.

I've lived in Scotland nearly 50 years. I'll say one thing about them. They are very forthright,honest people. You know what they are thinking ,they tell you!

The religious divide is  pain in the ass. When I first moved here I had a dust up with a bloke who didn't like my English ness or my former religion.

DECADES later he attacked an 18 year old relation of mine. He still held a grudge. Go figure.

Found them all sound lads and characters them I worked with. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jukel123 said:

Yeh I did some work down corby 20 year ago....like being in the Gorbals..lol

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mushroom said:

You’ve just put my mrs on the floor in stitches mate :laugh: 

“muy grande maricon” = very big puff 

One of these days I really should tell my mate what it means 😁.

I know the very basics of Greek and will have a go when im there its when they really get into it and your just stood there open mouthed saying " you what ? " that i usually call it a day......id still quite like to master a bit more English i always had a bit of a complex about lack of vocabulary and knew it was why i swore so much.......as kids in London borstals they used to supply you with a dictionary for if you wanted to write home i remember studying that f****n thing,when i got home my pals couldnt work out where all these 4 syllable words were coming from they thought id been sharing a peter with my barrister or something :laugh:

Edited by gnasher16
  • Haha 2
On 11/05/2024 at 17:13, mushroom said:

After 13 years living in Spain, I’ve just learnt the meaning of a word that I thought meant something completely different.

Carne = meat

Carnicería = butcher… yeah and nope.

Carnicería actually just means carnage :laugh: 

Sometimes language is a weird thing and Spanish is right up there at the top :yes: 

Anyone else speak other languages that have similar strangenesses in it?

Carnivore!

My French oral is decent, far better than 99.9% of the expats beside me. Often get asked where did I learn French like that, did I have lessons etc. Truth is it was from hunting 3+ days a week with the locals, many a time I would be on the periphery not understanding except for the odd word, but laughed when they did (as I found them funny lol) & everyday was a school day. Then went to working full time with French. Can read a bit of French ok, but lacking & my written is poor.

Id like to learn Spanish, but the speed they speak it, jeez! My physio is Spanish, unfortunately its a fella, but he has 2 female Spanish colleagues that are proper sorts, I think they could fast forward my Spanish tongue! Appointment time has changed so cross your fingers for me I get one of the Doris'.

Adios, goodbye, auf wiedersen, au revoir...

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Waz said:

Carnivore!

My French oral is decent, far better than 99.9% of the expats beside me. Often get asked where did I learn French like that, did I have lessons etc. Truth is it was from hunting 3+ days a week with the locals, many a time I would be on the periphery not understanding except for the odd word, but laughed when they did (as I found them funny lol) & everyday was a school day. Then went to working full time with French. Can read a bit of French ok, but lacking & my written is poor.

Id like to learn Spanish, but the speed they speak it, jeez! My physio is Spanish, unfortunately its a fella, but he has 2 female Spanish colleagues that are proper sorts, I think they could fast forward my Spanish tongue! Appointment time has changed so cross your fingers for me I get one of the Doris'.

:whistling: 

98AD3508-4257-43C8-A7D0-5BC48ED3C19F.png.c5ce3566e81925fb3ed4a5b51498f89f.png

:laugh:

I had to dust off my French a couple of months ago and it was diabolical lol.

Spanish though, it’s only in the very south (Andalusia) they speak really fast. Even Spaniards have issues with the strange cnuts. If you can get Spanish down, Catalan would slip into place pretty easily and then also Italian ;)

27 minutes ago, Waz said:

Carnivore!

Do you hunt with hounds out there?

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Spanish though, it’s only in the very south (Andalusia) they speak really fast. Even Spaniards have issues with the strange cnuts. If you can get Spanish down, Catalan would slip into place pretty easily and then also Italian ;)

19 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Do you hunt with hounds out there?

Done a fair bit, gun packs mainly.

33 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Yeh these physios all come from the south. Think it must be great money up here for them, bit like all the South African vets at one time in the UK.

A lad who used to come on here lived at the very south of France, (think he's in Spain now) his kids were learning Catalan from an early age in school. 

Could do with a little road trip down your way before it gets too hot. 

2 minutes ago, Waz said:

Done a fair bit, gun packs mainly.

Yeh these physios all come from the south. Think it must be great money up here for them, bit like all the South African vets at one time in the UK.

A lad who used to come on here lived at the very south of France, (think he's in Spain now) his kids were learning Catalan from an early age in school. 

Could do with a little road trip down your way before it gets too hot. 

I guarantee the Catalan they are learning is not the same as Catalan here or in Girona, or in Lleida lol. They can't make up their minds on how to speak the fuucker universally :laugh:

It's pissing it down at the moment, I'd head down in a couple of weeks, once the spring rains have passed ;)

• Like 1

I think the English language is brilliant, it’s like a map of our history.

So many words derived from German, French, Danish/Norse and Latin.

German I find very similar but common words can be found right across Europe…..when you know how this pre dates actual country’s as we understand them today it just adds to the magic imho.

Gaelic I just have no idea but I’m sure people could point out Gaelic words or their derivatives to me that we use today. 

Strange but I can’t listen to Irish radio speaking English but I listen to the Gaelic speaking station, don’t understand a word, but it just feels right in the setting and has a relaxing, musical quality when coupled with the folk music. 

Our language is so much more than just words, it’s our history and it’s local dialects are distinctly who we are. 

• Like 5
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, WILF said:

I think the English language is brilliant, it’s like a map of our history.

So many words derived from German, French, Danish/Norse and Latin.

German I find very similar but common words can be found right across Europe…..when you know how this pre dates actual country’s as we understand them today it just adds to the magic imho.

Gaelic I just have no idea but I’m sure people could point out Gaelic words or their derivatives to me that we use today. 

Strange but I can’t listen to Irish radio speaking English but I listen to the Gaelic speaking station, don’t understand a word, but it just feels right in the setting and has a relaxing, musical quality when coupled with the folk music. 

Our language is so much more than just words, it’s our history and it’s local dialects are distinctly who we are. 

The shear adaptability and willingness to assimilate words is the strength of the English language.

Spanish has a huge number of words that are Arabic in origin. Any Spanish word that begins with "AL" comes from the Moor invasion.

We have a few in English too... Algebra, Algorithm etc

Edited by mushroom
  • Like 2